Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-11-2016, 09:41 AM   #11
I have a Pathway X2 and love it. I camp in Oregon and have my fair share of trees. The X2 has a larger DIA dish than the Tailgator which helps it get and hold sats better. I also have an app for my phone that I use. It's called Dishpointer Pro. Cost me 19.99 for my Droid. IMO it's what anyone should have when using a portable sat is a wooded area. The last two times we went camping on the Oregon coast I had to move my X2 several times trying to find a clear view. You need all 3 sats to get HD across the whole channel line up. Two sats will give you a lot of HD channels but sometimes I want to watch a certain channel and need to search for the sat a little harder.
With Dish you can stop and start your service for free. I've never had an issue doing that.
I bought the tripod to go along with the X2. I probably could get by without it but it does keep the X2 off the ground for when it's raining.
Another nice thing about having an app on your phone for sat finding is you can do a walk thru of the CG and if you find a nice spot you like you can just pull the phone out and check for sat locations.
We did that before our last camping trip. We were staying at an RV park and decided to checkout a CG near there since it was one we've always wanted to stay at but never had the opportunity. As we were walking thru the CG I was stopping and checking some spots for sat signal. Another couple came up behind us and wanted to know if we were checking for sats. They were interested in what app I had as they had Dish sat service as well. They were excited to see the app work so well and ended up writing the app name down so when they got back to their MH they could install it on their phone.
FWIW we were long time (15 years) DirecTv customers before switching to Dish last year. Been mostly happy with it. We've had all 3 tv providers and they all have their quirks. We switched to Dish because we like to watch tv in HD and Directv doesn't offer programming for the portable sat systems.
If HD programming is not that big of a deal then any sat system will work. Just make sure to get an app for your phone if you're in wooded areas. It will save lots of time and confusion. Some are free as well.

goducks is online now   Reply With Quote