Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-31-2013, 11:09 AM   #1

Best truck to tow a 30 foot jayco..

Next summer we will be taking our first road trip with our 2012 jay flight 28BHS, which fully loaded may weigh somewhere in the range of 7500 pounds, although we have definitely tried to purge down to essentials, I want to base this decision on fully loaded weight. So my question is, with a trip planned through the canadian rocky mountains, which would be the most recommended truck to pull this vehicle. We own a used car dealership and we buy a different truck ever summer to pull our trailer. The last two years we haven't been that choosy about the tow vehicle because we were only travelling one hour on flat prairie roads to our destination. But given our planned trip, I would like to seek out some advice from people who have pulled large trailers through the mountains, as to which tow vehicle would be best and any other prep we should do to be ready for this adventure. Thanks.
Click image for larger version

Name:	rv-towing-cartoon2 (Small)_thumb[3].jpg
Views:	63
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	10499

Lady Wendolyn Jayflight 28BHS

For a tour of my glamorous, cool camper, and an "Ad a bifold door Mod: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventures.blogspot.ca

For these Mods: Master bedroom shelving in closets and countertop extension: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...es-camper.html

For this Mod: Adding a wall light switch to the master bedroom:
https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...ht-switch.html
Ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:46 AM   #2

Since you have a car dealership and can essentially get what you want/need, I would focus on a diesel. diesel's are designed for this type of work, especially in the mountains. A diesel pretty much means 3/4 ton and larger. I'm very happy with my truck, a Chevy 2500 Duramax, however Dodge and Ford have nice offerings too. Only word of caution would be Fords' 6.0 PSD. A little research and you will see some of the issues that particular engine had.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:49 AM   #3

3/4 ton or larger and diesel for towing in the mountains. I don't tow in the mountains so a gasser is what i own.
Hope you find what you are looking for.
Robert
lx22f/c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:10 PM   #4

Well since you are looking strictly used it seems then the diesel is the way to go. On the other hand if you want to invest in a long term vehicle that is new, Ram is coming out with an ECO Diesel 1500 series that is set to come out 2014. This truck is estimated to get 25 MPG and pull 9 K. Something to consider if your in that position. If not then a used 3/4 or SRW 1T will do the trick.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:23 PM   #5

At 7500lbs the newer 1/2 ton pickups will do that pretty well. We pulled a 34 foot with a 2012 F150 with no issues at all. With that said, there is no replacement for the ease of towing with a 3/4 ton diesel pickup. If I were buying a diesel Ford (which I just did) it would be 2011 or later.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:56 PM   #6
Site Team

I think there are a few questions you need to answer before selecting the "PERFECT" truck:
- How much of the annual mileage will you be; mountain towing vs level ground towing vs everyday "LOCAL" driving (non-towing)?"
- How high are the mountains 4K' vs 10K'?
- Are you planning on getting a bigger trailer in the future?

I spent about 6 months researching what truck would be the best for "MY" specific needs. I looked at Chevy, Ram, Ford.. Toyota, and after I was finished, the F150 "built to my specifications" won. So everyone will have their own personal preference as to what is the "Best" truck. I have been a GM "BIG BLOCK" kind of guy all my life, but decided Ford had what I needed. If you decide to look at a F150, I inserted a few charts below that you and your significant other can look over. I factory ordered the 2012 Ford F150 EcoBoost, SuperCrew with the 157" wheel base, 6 spd trans, and 3:73 rear axle that was best for me. I can honestly say that I am not a diesel engine fan, for many reasons, so my options were going to be a gas engine.

We just returned from a trip out west to Colorado where we put on 6K miles of which about 90% of the mileage was driving between Florida and Colorado, which is all flat land. We climbed the 10K foot challenges in CO with no issues at all. The EcoBoost was great!!! The twin turbos give it all the power needed and more. Engine breaking was fine for the down-hill segments... but it has a MAX for towing 11,300 LB TT with a GCWR weight 17,000, so if I plan on going with at larger TT, I will need to sell the truck and move up a level. I do not believe in being close to the max limits of the truck/TT when towing. We averaged between 10/11mpg (9mpg in the mountains) with the overall trip in the 11mpg range, which was not bad. When not towing, it gets about 15.5 city and around 20 on the highway.

So for me it was a good selection, but may not fit your needs. GOOD LUCK!!

Don

Here are some FORD links for towing info
Page 18 has the RV/Towing specifications:
https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas...FLRVTT_gde.pdf
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can pick the year for the specifications you are looking for:
http://www.ford.com/search/?f%3Asear...rchForm#page=1

Click image for larger version

Name:	F150 RV & Trailer Towing Guide.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	10502Click image for larger version

Name:	EcoBoost vs 5_0  Coyote V8.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	10503
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:28 PM   #7

Just cant beat a 3/4 or 1 ton diesel for towing any distance and especially with mountains. I usually tow large trailers but tonight brought our 1990 Jayco 250 special weighing less than 5000 lbs. Didn't even know it was there ha ha! Big truck tows it so easily takes all the stress out of it. The wife actually towed it the hour long trip home.
Having access to a car dealership why not "try" a few trucks and see what you like?
232,500 kms in 2013
200,000 kms in 2014
160,000 kms in 2015
greenenvy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 05:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
I think there are a few questions you need to answer before selecting the "PERFECT" truck:
- How much of the annual mileage will you be; mountain towing vs level ground towing vs everyday "LOCAL" driving (non-towing)?"
- How high are the mountains 4K' vs 10K'?
- Are you planning on getting a bigger trailer in the future?

I spent about 6 months researching what truck would be the best for "MY" specific needs. I looked at Chevy, Ram, Ford.. Toyota, and after I was finished, the F150 "built to my specifications" won. So everyone will have their own personal preference as to what is the "Best" truck. I have been a GM "BIG BLOCK" kind of guy all my life, but decided Ford had what I needed. If you decide to look at a F150, I inserted a few charts below that you and your significant other can look over. I factory ordered the 2012 Ford F150 EcoBoost, SuperCrew with the 157" wheel base, 6 spd trans, and 3:73 rear axle that was best for me. I can honestly say that I am not a diesel engine fan, for many reasons, so my options were going to be a gas engine.

We just returned from a trip out west to Colorado where we put on 6K miles of which about 90% of the mileage was driving between Florida and Colorado, which is all flat land. We climbed the 10K foot challenges in CO with no issues at all. The EcoBoost was great!!! The twin turbos give it all the power needed and more. Engine breaking was fine for the down-hill segments... but it has a MAX for towing 11,300 LB TT with a GCWR weight 17,000, so if I plan on going with at larger TT, I will need to sell the truck and move up a level. I do not believe in being close to the max limits of the truck/TT when towing. We averaged between 10/11mpg (9mpg in the mountains) with the overall trip in the 11mpg range, which was not bad. When not towing, it gets about 15.5 city and around 20 on the highway.

So for me it was a good selection, but may not fit your needs. GOOD LUCK!!

Don

Here are some FORD links for towing info
Page 18 has the RV/Towing specifications:
https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas...FLRVTT_gde.pdf
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can pick the year for the specifications you are looking for:
http://www.ford.com/search/?f%3Asear...rchForm#page=1

Attachment 10502Attachment 10503
Wow, quite a post. But it looks like you miss the fact that they own are used car dealership and get a new truck each season for towing. That said, I don't think they will be ordering a new "purpose built" truck from any manufacturer.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:52 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywendolyn View Post
snip...... We own a used car dealership and we buy a different truck ever summer to pull our trailer.....snip
...... In that case I would watch for a used 3/4 Ton, Crew Cab/Short Box/Diesel/LT tires)....., or at least a newer 3/4 Ton with a big "L" gasser (5.7L, 6.0L, etc.).

My TT loaded weighs in at 8,400lbs (including a 1,300lb tongue). My 2500HD/6.0L gasser will tow my TT through the mountains "ok", but it's working pretty hard.

You stated that your TT weighs "in the range of 7,500lbs", is this based on a CAT scale visit, and does the 7,500lbs include or exclude the tongue weight? If the tongue weight is included in the 7,500lbs, then IMO a 3/4 Ton big "L" gasser would be just fine.

I would lean toward the 3/4 ton to insure that you don't run out of payload capacity for that extra mountain trip "stuff".

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:55 PM   #10

3/4 ton and either a big block gasser or a diesel. Early model 6.0 Fords should be avoided.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:07 AM   #11

I admit to being biased towards Fords, but with that relatively light load and having in mind you're only going to have it a year, and that this is a one-shot big deal trip into the mountains, IMHO the perfect truck for you guys is probably whatever you all find most appealing. Of course, it's an opportunity to see what you think of diesels. I love them, but we tow more weight and live at 9000', and aside from towing the new trailer home, have never been below 5000'.

So while my first thought was, like several other posters, a 3/4 ton diesel, after thinking it over, even a little Ford 5.4 would do the trick at quite a bit fewer $$$. And for this short a term, fuel economy isn't much of a factor. If you look for a reasonably long wheel base, good brakes, rubber and shocks/struts, a decent tow package, you should have a fine vacation vehicle as well as one that will get you comfortably through the rest of the year until you replace it next year.

I think as important as a sound TV is, how you drive in the higher altitudes and steeper grades, both up and down, is at least as important, if not more so. A gasser will lose 3 to 4% of its hp, along with torque, for every thousand foot rise above sea level. That becomes considerable at eight or ten thousand feet. So don't worry about keeping up with the speed limits. Take a deep breath if necessary, drop a gear to keep your rpms up, and enjoy the view as you climb. By the same token, use gears when descending long grades to avoid overheating brakes. Keep a greater distance between you and the vehicle in front of you. You might want to plan on traveling fewer miles per day, then plan on even fewer yet. Especially if you hit weather. Plan for a vacation, not a horse race, and enjoy nature's awesome and beautiful world.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:56 AM   #12

Wow.. thanks for all this help! I will pass all this info onto my husband..

Lady Wendolyn Jayflight 28BHS

For a tour of my glamorous, cool camper, and an "Ad a bifold door Mod: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventures.blogspot.ca

For these Mods: Master bedroom shelving in closets and countertop extension: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...es-camper.html

For this Mod: Adding a wall light switch to the master bedroom:
https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...ht-switch.html
Ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:20 AM   #13

Retired five years ago and have traveled thru the west the last four years. Some of those 7 degree hills hills are tough on a gasser. The ford diesel has a exhaust brake that helps on the down hills I am sure some of the others have it also. I would also stay away from the 6.0 Fords I had one and had good luck with mine 160,000 miles but a lot of people weren't so lucky. The wife wanted a new fifth wheel this year a Pinnacle 36 REQS so I had to upgrade the truck to a 13 f350 dually 6.7. Traveling and living the dream enjoy your trip.
Clayton4971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:32 PM   #14

I have been through this. I started with a 1500 dodge ram. It was fine on flat ground up and down mountains were a white knuckle affair. The other issue I ran into what is the suspension. The half ton suspension is somewhat soft therefore the combination was susceptible to side wins which call me mom passes. Before replacing the truck I upgraded this suspension by adding timben overload springs and E rated tires and Rancho 9000 shocks. In the end the 5.9 L V-8 engine and Dodge transmission was simply not up to task. I trading in the truck for a 2004 Chevrolet Silverado 3500. That had 8.1 L V-8 engine. I have been over 10,000 feet above sea level in that truck with no problems whatsoever towing. The stability and safety change by changing from a 1/2 ton to a one ton was dramatic. I would never go back.
2014 Greyhawk 31FS with a 2007 Tahoe toad
New setup:
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 with a 2017 Ford Explorer toad
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:31 PM   #15

Hmm strange. The Ecoboost's lack of engine braking ability is what made me trade it in for a diesel. Found this out on I-5 in the Siskiyous and US2 Stevens Pass. Love the Duramax and the exhaust brake.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:58 PM   #16

We went from 05 f150 to ram 3500 diesel. Towing in the mountains really feels effortless now with a trailer that is the similar specs as yours. Look diesel and at least 3/4 ton. My wife is more relaxed as a passenger than before.

66 nights in 2016
61 nights in 2015
Derek700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:48 AM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by milw156 View Post
Hmm strange. The Ecoboost's lack of engine braking ability is what made me trade it in for a diesel. Found this out on I-5 in the Siskiyous and US2 Stevens Pass. Love the Duramax and the exhaust brake.
Coming out of the mountains west of Denver on I70 south Golden is a section of road that is a good 5 miles long with 6 degree inclines. The EcoBoost worked great for an engine that size, the only time I had to to use the breaks was a few times toward the bottom of the various down hill sections. I slowed down to 35 and let the engine finish the job. I believe that that section goes from about 8k to 5k feet. I was happy with the results. There were also a lot of other locations where the truck did fine. If I decide to go with a bigger TT, I would have to step up to the next level of truck. Wife had no problems riding shotgun through the mountains.
Don
Old 11-02-2013, 07:49 AM   #18

Having pulled trailers for many years with gasers and defending them based on a perception and not having real experience with diesels I can say now with experience that these are different worlds. I have to remember that I have an 11,000 lb trailer behind me.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:54 AM   #19

It's been a year since we traded our HitchHiker ll 29.5 LKTG for our WhiteHawk 27 DSRL. The overall length of the WhiteHawk is close to the HitchHiker's length, but considerably lighter. We bought an '05 Ram 3500 Quad Cab long bed with the diesel engine to tow the HitchHiker because of its weight, and I thought I might downsize the truck. After 6 trips with the WhiteHawk, no way am I getting rid of the Ram. The towing experience is great (still use a WD hitch with sway control because the Ram owner's manual recommends it). Aside from the grunt of the engine, I think the wheelbase is a big factor in how the trailer handles behind the truck. I have more power and torque than needed to move the trailer down the road, but with now empty bed space available and the stress free towing, I'm gonna keep her.....................and she's paid for!
thomasmnile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:25 AM   #20
Site Team

As previously mentioned in another post, I feel it is more a personal preference.
Having had a CDL license for 15 years, I am very familiar with the diesels capabilities, and using the engine breaking was essential. I also drove a duce and a half in the army, I have driven light commercial trucks with diesels and as indicated, if we move up to a larger TT, I will have to move to a diesel. But for the amount of weight that the Eagle 284BHS is, the amount/type of mountain driving we do, I am not at the top end of the EcoBoost's towing capabilities and it meets all the requirements that are needed to make it a safe and enjoyable towing experience and a FUN truck to drive without the trailer. And that is using the trans to assist with the down hill breaking. It also performs GREAT for straight line acceleration (14.65 1/4 mile time), not a lot of light duty trucks can do that and you can't knock that, while still getting good gas mileage on the road. Heck, my 65 Mustang gets 10 mpg on a good day, traveling down hill with a 50 mph wind behind me. Ok, so the truck doesn't stand a chance running against the 65, but the truck is a lot of fun to drive.
The EcoBoost gives us the best of both worlds.
95% of our trucks use is level ground travel without a TT behind. The summer only has us going up 4K, to the Blue ridge Mountains in northern Georgia, little effort there.
Have a GREAT DAY!!!
Don