Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-16-2016, 08:49 AM   #1

Best Wax for Newer Travel Trailer

Recently purchased a new 2015 Jayco WhiteHawk 24RKS. Are there any recommendations on how best to keep it clean, shiney and looking as good as new. Thanks in advance for any recommendations.
Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 07:01 PM   #2

McGuires Quik Wax....bar none....no substitute.

Last year I washed the trailer for the first time. Took some elbowgrease to clean the streaks (I've since read here about better ways). Once cleaned it took only 30 minutes to wax the whole trailer.

This year the streaks came off like greased lightnin. I could feel that the surface of the trailer was still "slippery".

I use this product on my car too. Even in a Northern salt climate the wax coat lasts more than a year.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 07:48 PM   #3

I used Rejex on our 5th wheel and will on the new TT as well. The bugs just rinse off with water instead of requiring scrubbing. I did a ton of research and ended up with this. Supposedly it does a good job of protecting the decals as well. It applies easily but does have some application temperature recommendations.

Robot Check
2019 Open Range 310BHS - (a Jayco Division)
drk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 10:28 PM   #4

Best Wax

Thank you for the comments. It will Help a lot.
Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 01:41 PM   #5

RV/Boat Fiberglass Care

Here is an RV/Marine Fiberglass care document I found on a Meguiar’s site, (Page 1). Page 2 is a summary of what I do for my RV and Boat fiberglass. There is the quick way and the “wow, that looks fantastic”, three step process of wash, polish & wax.
Note: the orbital polisher pads I mention on page 2 are “Lake Country” from Amazon or detailing suppliers. This matters as the pad abrasive qualities can vary by manufacturer and need to be correct for the wax, polish or rubbing compound you are using.
The process is similar for the metal cab on my class C rig except after washing I use a carnauba wax on a gray finish pad. Turn the Porter Cable orbital polisher on between 3 and 4. Apply the wax in a thin, even coat over one panel at a time. There is no need to apply pressure.Allow to dry and wipe with clean micro-fiber towels.
I am not a professional detailing guy but I read & watch videos on how to do the job correctly. There are so many different products on the market it can get confusing. The attached works very well for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiberglass Wash Wax Steps 042216_Page_1.jpg   Fiberglass Wash Wax Steps 042216_Page_2.jpg  
Old 05-17-2016, 02:20 PM   #6

When I replied to the first post in my mind I was thinking about a painted tin trailer. The procedures above are quite appropriate for fiberglas gelcoat. I'd be cautious about using the polish step with a mechanical buffer. I'm not sure the paint is as durable or thick as gelcoat.

I do follow the above for my fiberglas boat, without the polish step. I have a classic boat that is garage kept and even covered in the garage. It still shines like new with no hint of oxidation, so there is nothing to polish off.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 01:42 PM   #7

The key is finding a product that is so easy that you'll actually use it! I've tried tons of different products, and I've settled on Protect All. Wash the camper/boat, dry if i feel like it, and spray protect all and wipe on/off with microfiber cloth. Seems to work well, especially since it's so easy i'll do it at least once or twice a year.
vtdanokim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 01:26 PM   #8

waxing

The first 2 years I had mine done by a pro at the camp site. The last 2 years I did it at my house. First time I used Black Fire wax. Did a great job but that stuff is expensive. This year I used Nu Finish car wax, it looks great and has a nice shine. I have owned my trailer 4 years and it has been waxed every year. I wash it before every outing which is normally once a month with RV wash & wax. People still ask me if I just bought it because it still looks like new.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once
joe in calif is offline   Reply With Quote