Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-10-2013, 09:02 PM   #1

Beware of High Wind

Day 2 of seven started with rain and slight wind nothing major then the squall line appeared out of nowhere.
Well thank goodness no one got hurt the wind came up while cooking breakfast this morning and just ripped my awning right off.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362970883.430920.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	6805
Oh well thats why we got insurance!!!!
lx22f/c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:20 PM   #2

ouch, glad no one got hurt.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:49 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Glad no one hurt. The awning can be replaced as you state.

Safe travels
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:02 AM   #4

OUCH.... Not a good way to start a morning - Been there done that as well. Its even more exciting getting caught when camping in a OFF-ROAD POPUP...

After our first encounter with high wind I picked up one these inexpensive NOAH WEATHER ALARMS from Radio Shack ($15 I think). Worth its weight in gold....

This RADIO SHACK Part Number 12-260 unit will search for the nearest NOAH transmitter when you first turn it on. This operates from a 6VDC source so I removed the 6V batteries and use a Radio Shack multi-select DC-DC selector cable and proper DC connector adapter to fit the Weather Radio which is wired into the 12VDC Trailer system and has 6VDC selected for use. I leave mine on 24/7 when we setup camp and listen to all of the real time WEATHER ALERTS. I am not a fan of the cigarette lighter power plugs so hard wired a DC extension cable directly into the trailer 12VDC source so I mount my NOAH Monitor out of the way. I unplug it at the 12VDC source when not is use.

If you purchase one of the smarter WEATHER RADIO's that only listens to your local county the down side may be you have to keep resetting for the local area you are in at the time when camping. Some may do that automatically but may not - Just keep that in mind...

Being in a POPUP is more concern than being in a trailer with hard sides but at least we have some warning of what to expect having the NOAH WEATHER on. To me it is must have item...

Another thing we do as well is use our OTA outside antenna to tune in the local town 24/7 local radar HDTV channel. These usually have nice music background or totally silent. We look at our local weather two or three times a day... In case you have never tried to pick up the local town now digital high definition TV (free to the public) you may be surprised what you are missing... We pick up a good 6-36 full blown full screen local town HDTV using the OTA crankup BATWING antenna on the roof. All you need to make it work is a VIZIO 22-inch HDTV READY TV set. Don't mess with the digital TV conversion boxes - replace your old analog TV for anew HD READY TV. We actually watch the local high def TV from the local towns even when we are at a regular camp site that has cable. Once you start watching high def TV kinda hard to go back to analog TV like the cable is still doing at the camp sites. We can switch from ANTENNA to CABLE using the TV remote - never leave the easy chair hehe...

When camping these days you always got to have a PLAN B in force haha...

Roy Ken
Attached Thumbnails
pRS1-6856250w345.jpg  
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:21 AM   #5

I am glad no one got hurt.

I like to leave my awning out full time during the summer and have to keep a weather eye out all the time. My family helps and warns me. On more than one occasion I have had to stand out in the rain trying to roll the awning back up because of the potential for wind.

Mikey
Safe travels!
IronmanMLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:07 PM   #6

Glad no-one got hurt. I got one of those weather warning devices a few years ago as a gift. We were doing a good bit of backpacking and I didn't want to carry it......I'll be digging it out tomorrow....Thanks
Doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote