Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-18-2015, 08:09 PM   #21

we are in the process of upgrading, but had our trailer for about a month, only took it out a few times before deciding to upgrade. That said, I just really don't think it would stay cool enough in there on a hot day. after towing for one hour on a hot day, our fridge that had been cooling for a good day before we left, and was ice cold WHEN we left, all of the items were room temp when we got there. That was in the FRIDGE. and the trailer was roasting. Even with the windows open, I can't imagine it being cool enough. I have a small dog, I'd be scared to death to leave her in the trailer. I'd fear opening the door and finding her in a bad way.

I understand the struggle though - luckily our dog is only 15 or so pounds. even in her crate, we can put her on the seat with us. I dont' know what we'd do with a bigger dog - other than what others suggested and put them in a crate in the back. even on a hot day, there's a lot of ventilation in a crate.

Good luck
OhioRVMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 04:40 AM   #22

We have a piece of memory foam covered with a sheet we keep on the back seat of my truck for our dog. She is more comfortable than me on trips.

2012 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4 5.7 Hemi 4.10
2015 Jayco Eagle 284BHBE
2009 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 256RKS
2007 Jayflight 20BH
1997 Fleetwood Cheyenne PUP
1984 Rockwood 1080 - PUP 1969 Coleman PUP
gcloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 10:13 AM   #23

My three dogs are all 50 to 80 pounds and are happy in the back of my super cab, which isn't very big. Livestock travel in stock and horse trailers that have plenty of open air pouring over them, not in rolling ovens that our RVs can become. It's not something I'd subject my dogs to, but that's just me.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 11:54 AM   #24

12 show dogs die in RV fire - Chino Valley Review - Chino Valley, Arizona

2020 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak Titanium
2013 Eagle 29.5RKS (traded in)
2013 Ford 6.7L diesel F350
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 01:29 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOCamper View Post
In the great state of MO humans are allowed to ride in the trailer. We camp with people with disabilities that the DW or DH will ride on bed when they are not feeling the best. Glad we still have personal freedom here in the center of the country. BTW lots of dogs ride in the trailer in this neck of the woods.
Hahaha. Whatever makes you feel good about putting them in danger...

Becky, Bob and Taylie & Bode
2009 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison
2014 Heartland Sundance XLT 245RL
His and Hers Polaris 570 Touring ATV's
2018 Polaris General 1000
Bobx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 05:03 PM   #26

MOCamper, " Glad we still have personal freedom here in the center of the country."
Maybe not so much I'm thinking. The Land of the Free has slipped from being the 17th most free country in the world to 20th. No doubt we'll be slipping further soon. Laughingly, five reasons were listed, #1 being big government. The next 4 were all due to #1. Over regulation, etc. We're done.
Old 08-20-2015, 08:16 PM   #27

We have #100 black lab/great dane mix. He is a member of the family and rides in the back seat of the truck. Has a crate in the back of the TT when in the camp ground, since he is still pretty young and likes to chew on every thing in sight.

We live in the southeast. Inside of TT would be way too hot without a/c while on the road.
2010 Jayco JayFlight 26BH sold
Yamaha EF2000is Generators (2)
1996 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
Nighthawk 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 05:50 PM   #28

Since I live in South Florida and most of our camping will be down south , I could imagine
how HOT the trailer will get underway , So I should have thought more before even asking that question , I guess up in the great white north you could get away with it for small travel

Thank you
mike
mikebrls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 01:03 PM   #29

We used to let our big dogs ride in the TT. My dog loved to lay on our bed and look out the window. We did leave some sliders open for cross ventilation. We never did it in extreme heat or over 4 hour trips. Our big goldens loved it. We never had a problem. I don't have a problem with things flying all over our camper or coming out of cabinets during travel. We now have a small farm at home so our dogs stay home with our house sitter when we travel. We miss them when we camp.
To each his own. I only know of one being able to judge others…and I plan to meet him when I die.
Happy camping!
2 Golden Retrievers, Cooper & Claude
:campfire: :campfire:
Ewingfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 08:33 PM   #30

Talking

"I only know of one being able to judge others…" For sure!

OTOH, I have no problem judging others' actions!
Old 09-03-2015, 04:41 AM   #31

thank you Mustang65. I have thought about taking our Amazon on longer trips but will leave him at home with someone checking in on him.
pmames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 07:19 AM   #32

If anything, get a wireless thermometer so you can tell the temperature conditions in the trailer. Ours get hot- too hot for any animal to travel in there (Given it's anything close to 90 degrees outside). I would be very hesitant- would not be able to live with myself if anything happened. I have 4 smaller dogs that all ride in the truck with the back seat flipped up. Used to have a 100# German Shepherd. He was either in the truck or in the back with a shell on and back cab window open so I could tell the temperature and hear how he was doing. If the conditions aren't right to take them, leave them at home.
Carleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 08:28 AM   #33

A comment as to dogs in crates should that be the mode selected.

A professional dog mover mentioned that it is important to cushion the crate floor when moving dogs in vehicles. The bouncing during longer trips will make them car sick.

Apparently one method to reduce the bounce is to place the crates on a thick foam pad of some sort. Padding inside has a tendency to get moved around and bunched up.

Depending upon the trailer style/size there can be a bunch of bouncing. Proper ventilation in a typical camper trailer would also be a concern for me.

FWIW. vic
VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 11:44 AM   #34
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmames View Post
thank you Mustang65. I have thought about taking our Amazon on longer trips but will leave him at home with someone checking in on him.
We have a Blue Fronted Amazon that LOVES traveling and camping. At home he sees us bring out his TRAVEL cage and he starts getting all excited. His crate sits on top of the big dog crate in the TV and he can see out while traveling.

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote