Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-03-2015, 07:21 AM   #1

big winds!

So I'm wondering if this has happened to anyone else. Yesterday I moved my trailer to a friends farm. This is my first year with this trailer and I keep going back and forth as to where it should be parked. My friends farm is only 20 miles from where we will camp most of the summer and he has a forty by thirty cement pad that has sat empty since the old shed was removed years ago. So I backed onto the pad, set up the trailer as I normally would, then went over to his house for a visit. That's when the weather started to turn and we had some of the biggest winds I've seen in years. You could watch it coming because there was so much dirt in it from the fields. Turns out the trailer being parked like that on the pad is vulnerable from southwest winds and that is what we had. The wind didn't last to long at that strength but when I went to check the trailer it had almost blown off my 6x6 and the one stabilizer jack looked bent. I was very nervous, got my truck hooked it up again to reset everything but now I don't know if I should park it there? Any ideas as to what I could do??
canadiankid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 07:27 AM   #2

Can you drill in anchors/D-rings to the pad and secure the trailer to them via the frame? All four corners maybe?
Old 05-03-2015, 07:28 AM   #3

That's probably what happened to the shed.

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 07:31 AM   #4

I'm sure he wouldn't mind if I did that. I guess I'd need come-a-longs or something of that nature to make sure it's good and tight. Or a ratcheting strap might work.
Old 05-03-2015, 07:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmooney View Post
That's probably what happened to the shed.
Hahahahaha, no wonder he didn't rebuild there!!
Old 05-03-2015, 07:37 AM   #6

I was thinking ratchet straps.
Old 05-06-2015, 06:06 AM   #7

what kind of damage is being done to the side with all that sand and debris being blown at it...I would assume its scratching the crap out of it...

I would think anchoring it down and a cover at least...personally if it bent something I would find somewhere else to store it,,,easier said than done but I want piece of mind
Old 05-06-2015, 01:47 PM   #8

Why were the stab jacks down if you were storing it?

If the wind always comes from that one direction, you could turn the trailer to face into the wind so it has a smaller profile catching wind.

Did you chock your wheels on both sides? That will do a lot to prevent the tongue from moving.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 02:39 PM   #9

The storm was definitely not a regular occurrence and he can't remember seeing winds like that since he's lived there. The stabilizer jacks where down because the plan at the time was to hang out and sleep in it that night. Also I've set it up just to practice and see how set up tear down goes. Still haven't ever gone camping in a TT and don't want to run into to many unforeseen issues when the wife and kids are with me. I only had one set of wheels chocked at the time but I've since bought a pair of x-chocks and will have those on from now on.
Old 05-06-2015, 03:29 PM   #10

Doesn't matter where you store it. Freak winds can happen anywhere. I would not worry about it.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote