Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-21-2016, 04:30 PM   #1

Bike rack for 2014 Jayco 287bhbe jayflight

We have a 2014 Jayco 287BHBE Jayflight. We just recently bought a different truck and it has a bed cover on it so we can't haul our bikes on the bed of the truck anymore. Was curious if you all had thoughts about the receiver adapter for the rear bumper. If the bumper can support a bike rack with 2-3 bikes on it the way it is or if I should get it beefed up. We really don't want to haul them on the ladder of the trailer. Thanks for any and all responses
doopshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 05:03 PM   #2

Stock trailer bumpers are not designed for that and will bend and eventually break. I had my bumper of my 26BH cut off by a fabrication shop and he welded a 1/4 " steel bumper onto the frame. Cut out the center and placed a receiver thru the middle and attached it to the frame. Quite a few folks at campgrounds admired it when they saw we had 5 adult bikes on that. believe me, it wasn't going anywhere.

See photo.
If you notice behind the bumper on the top center of the receiver, there is an welded attachment sticking up. it had a 3/4 " hole in it. That was to attach a strap hook to so that the strap would not only hold the bikes to the bike rack, but would also prevent the bike rack from breaking off and dropping the bikes onto the road due to trailer bouncing.

Out new 28BHBE has a hitch receiver attached (Bolted) right to the frame. came that way new from Jayco.
(Photo below is the bumper hitch on the 26BH) Not the hitch receiver on the 28BHBE.
Attached Thumbnails
Finished.jpg   2013-06-28 18.50.24.jpg  

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 05:10 PM   #3

Did they just cut off the old bumper at the main frame and then weld the new one to where the old one was? That's kind of what I was thinking would be the best. Thanks for your response. How is the 2016 28bhbe? We love ours
doopshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 05:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by doopshee View Post
Did they just cut off the old bumper at the main frame and then weld the new one to where the old one was? That's kind of what I was thinking would be the best. Thanks for your response. How is the 2016 28bhbe? We love ours

Yes BUT he beefed up the corners of the main frame with 1/4 " angle iron and ran it about 6 " along the bumper. and if you look in the center, he welded that to the frame cross piece too.
Love the 28BHBE. Been out with it 5 times so far. have not carried the bikes on that yet but will Memorial day weekend.

Jayco does have a hitch receiver that bolts right onto the frame of the 28BHBE. That way there is no weight on the bumper.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
Old 05-21-2016, 10:24 PM   #5

Good info and thanks for the pictures. I have been thinking of the same mod for mine. I work at a steel fabrication shop (front office) so can bring it in and have the guys do just about anything. They like special projects as something different than beams and columns all day so should be able to do something similar. Very hesitant to cut off the existing bumper so will likely have them fab something for a receiver that attaches to it and the frame with supports. I want to put a small generator (100lb) back there so thinking I would move the spare tire up front to offset the weight. The spare tire and bracket are probably close to that in weight. I've looked at one on the etrailer web site that that should be easy to custom fab. It bolts (or welds) underneath between the frame and the receiver comes out underneath the bumper. I would want two receivers to split the load and stabilize the load a bit.
suzhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 09:21 AM   #6

Suzhou,
I had both the spare tire on the bumper and the 5 bikes. That bumper wouldn't move, even with my 240 pounds standing on it with the spare tire and bikes. Cutting off a 1/16 -1/8 inch bumper to weld on the 1/4 inch bumper. Is the better way to go. Especially if your fabricators are good. Just cut a hole thru the center so you can push the receiver thru and weld it to the back cross frame. The above photos will show that.

2012 Ford Expedition EL