Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-13-2016, 09:45 AM   #21

Question: For all you guys and gals that use products that cut the wax (like Awesome, Simple Green, etc.), what do you use to replace the wax? Do you need to use actual wax? Or can you use a carwash/wax after treatment?

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 11:38 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Question: For all you guys and gals that use products that cut the wax (like Awesome, Simple Green, etc.), what do you use to replace the wax? Do you need to use actual wax? Or can you use a carwash/wax after treatment?

I just used Turtle wax's Carnauba wax but Awesome cleaner didn't seem to dull the gloss any before I applied the wax. When I cleaned the soot off the side above the water heater, I used a soft terry cloth to wipe it down without scrubbing. It literally wiped off.

2005 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4.7 V8 trans cooler, elect fans, auto rear leveling system (bags) towing package. Rated to pull (according to dealer) 6700lbs.
Lakehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 12:52 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaD View Post
I assume you are talking about streaks on the sides of your camper. I used multiple Magic Erasers, water and elbow grease and my tired old 1990 Jay Series Deluxe looks 100% better!
I also vote for magic erasers for black streaks and bugs!!
Old 06-14-2016, 10:28 AM   #24

Mission Complete!

So I've managed to complete removing the black streaks from one side of the trailer at this point and now have a method I think works well enough to share.

The main cleaner I used that did the most to remove the streaks was something called Mean Green Super Strength. It did a very nice job. I sprayed the camper in small sections and then used a rag to lightly cover all areas with the cleaner. then after waiting approx 1 minute I used the buffer to lightly rub everything down. Then I rinsed, wiped and repeated if necessary. Any excess cleaner was easy to remove with Windex.

Elbow grease was recommended in a few of the replies and that's when I decided to purchase the buffer just to make that requirement a bit easier as well as use it for the wax (turtle wax) removal.

I wanted to use LA Totally Awesome due to the overwhelming support it has here but when I sent my wife to WalMart she came back with the Mean Green ($2 for the bottle) and it seemed to work well enough to cure my ills. I'm still going to get some of the LA TA stuff though, one of these days.

I'm pretty happy with the results and the time it took to achieve them once I had a good method. I'd bet I could knock out a side of the camper in about 2 hours total (i.e., wash, streak removal, wax and polish) so another 2 - 4 hours and I should have the whole thing done.

Looking forward to the part where the streaks are easier to remove thanks to the wax!

Thank you all for taking the time to reply with your suggestions!
Attached Thumbnails
products.jpg   finish.jpg  
jdrumsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 10:43 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
I'm lazy, I use a car wash with wax
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 12:26 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
I'm lazy, I use a car wash with wax
I'm lazy, umm ... I mean efficient too, so that's why I was asking. I'd really rather not "wax on-wax off" my entire 30 ft trailer! LOL!

Well, that and I use a car wash with wax in it for everything anyway, so I have it laying around already...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 01:53 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
LA's Totally Awesome.
Yep, I highly recommend this stuff right here. I got it at the Dollar General for $1 a bottle. Yes, $1 a bottle. I did my entire 28BHBE front back side to side after it sat outside all winter and didnt even use half a bottle. The black stuff came off with no drama at all.

Here is the video that made me go try it out...

As far as waxing goes, I have not done that yet. The trailer still shines like new after using LA's Totally Awesome.

olyelr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 03:46 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyelr View Post
Yep, I highly recommend this stuff right here. I got it at the Dollar General for $1 a bottle. Yes, $1 a bottle. I did my entire 28BHBE front back side to side after it sat outside all winter and didnt even use half a bottle. The black stuff came off with no drama at all.

Here is the video that made me go try it out...

As far as waxing goes, I have not done that yet. The trailer still shines like new after using LA's Totally Awesome.
WOW!! Very persuasive video, sold me! Not to mention that trailer was pretty dirty!
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 04:16 PM   #29

3X for LA Totally Awesome a buck a bottle it does work.
rabalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 07:15 PM   #30

To remove the current streaks a clay bar will work very well... It's specifically designed to take grime and contaminants off of automotive surfaces...

Use a very good spray wax and never look back... With as little as my trailer gets washed it should last two years before needing another coat of spray wax... It's literally spray on and wipe off...

Any clay bar will work... After waxing, the streaks may come back BUT they will wash away with very minimal effort during your next wash... No hard scrubbing needed... Disappears as if you are washing away normal dirt...
Neo1130 is offline   Reply With Quote