Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-28-2013, 06:52 PM   #1

Black streaks, tank flush

My buddy has a jay flight aluminum side camper. He left it uncovered all winter and is now covered with black streaks. Is there anything you aluminum sided campers use to clean it off easy. Something concentrated with a brush. The spray bottle takes forever. Second the tank flush on my Eagle don't seem to work great. Hooked it up opened drain heard it running but really did not clean out great. I put the hose to it from outside and it came clean. Why don't it work good, not like the tornado I put in my previous camper, was like a dish washer in there with that.

2008 FORD F250 FX4 XLT DIESEL
2013 JAYCO EAGLE 314BDS(Ordered)
2023 JAYCO EAGLE 312BHOK
Donedroolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:00 PM   #2

A LOT of opinions on this....I have been experimenting with car wax. I have applied it in several areas which commonly streak on my TT. Not only does it quickly remove them....but the protected surface is HIGHLY resistant to the streaks returning (compared to areas I washed only)....Imagine THAT!!!!......[ATTACH][/ATTACH]

BTW - I use a high quality wax like Mothers or Maguires
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:19 PM   #3

To remove black streaks (and make TT look nice), I use the Nufinish product. re: http://www.harborfreight.com/media/c...mage_12506.jpg Very simple on cloudy day "wipe on", "let dry" and "wipe off". And while wiping on and off, I also inspect around windows, doors and corner trim as well. For me, I use NuFinish in spring and fall. And, I only do max 2 sides per weekend. No need to blitz and hurt the arms / wrists or legs - going up/down the step ladder. Bottle states 1 time per year but I found best results at every 6 months.
Spike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:25 PM   #4

Little tip: The black streaks is factory EDPM sheeting shedding its top layer. I hear during year 8-10 and EDPM factory sheeting base is still good, one can DIY coat their TT's Roof with EDPM Liquid Rubber. This liquid rubber is self levelling and creates a very shinny "no black streaks" outcome. I read many times that Liquid Rubber Roof coated roofs are sealed better and need very little cleaning as well. And, no more black streaks. For more details about EDPM Rubber Roof, surf many You-Tube video clips.

If wondering, I'll be applying liquid rubber roof coating to my 2006 Jayco during the next few years. And, I will be looking forward to NO MORE black streaks down its sides.
Spike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threebutchers View Post
....but the protected surface is HIGHLY resistant to the streaks returning (compared to areas I washed only)....Imagine THAT...
I've taken that to another level.

I now use car polish on my gas range top enamel surfaces, the refrigerator, the microwave, the white ABS plastic toaster... an application every month or so helps a bunch. My wife rolled her eyes and walked out of the room the first time I was doing it. Now she's a believer.

The gas stove was a bit of a leap of faith given the temperatures. I figured that the sun gets vehicle surfaces hot enough that the polish would be up to the challenge. It has been working fine.

Marine grade boat polish with Teflon helps with black streaks too.

FWIW. vic
Old 05-28-2013, 09:23 PM   #6

To remove the black streaks, I use a product called “Spray Power”. I buy it at Menards for $6.50/gal. I spray it on, let sit for a few minutes and use the car wash brush to scrub the area, and then hose it off. I have found scrubbing is not require for steaks, but helps will stubborn bugs.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:44 PM   #7

"Reliable" spray, made to get those streaks off. We use it, spray the streaks, wipe clean. No scrubbing required. We get ours from our local Jayco dealer. 20.00 a gallon in concentrate form so it last forever.
Leigh and Barb is offline   Reply With Quote