Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-26-2017, 08:54 PM   #1

Black tank build up.

First post! hoping to gain some insight on a perceived issue with our 2017 28DSBH Whitehawk. It appears that under the toilet the tissue and "other matter" builds up to quite a pile. We dry camp in the hills of BC and don't have endless water. A local stick and a flashlight have become the norm at the end of a trip. Is this a norm for this unit or other newer Jayco trailers. It's either a very shallow blank tank or there's some obstruction stopping the stuff making it's was all the way down and out of sight.

Thx in advance!!
Steeleco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 08:56 PM   #2

The more water you use the better
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 09:11 PM   #3

Try not emptying the black tank until it is nearly full. Black tank dump valve should remain closed unless you are actually dumping. Then a good rinse and you should be ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fr8Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 09:51 PM   #4

This happened to us last trip out. We had several guests staying with us and treated the place like a motel! We were hooked up to sewer so I thought it was smart to open the black water valve occasionally. Water would come out, so I thought everything was emptying just fine. But then the toilet would be plugged up and nothing going down. After talking to more experienced people, they recommended a product called "Commando Black Tank Treatment." They look like dishwasher soap pellets.
I was able to push the paper down with the end of a hose running water (good thing I had a second old hose along!). That's when I discovered the bottom of the tank under the toilet is only 8-10" deep. It gets deeper in other places. After letting the Commando sit overnight, the paper dissolved and was flushed out the next morning.
Now I know to let the BW tank fill to almost full before opening the valve, even when hooked up to full services. More importantly, when dry camping, get yourself a couple of buckets of water from the camp spigot to pour down the toilet before using (so you don't have to waste your fresh water supply). Fortunately it only takes once to learn the hard way!
mwilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 10:33 PM   #5

Thanks all, I only empty right before we leave as the trailer is on property and will be there all summer. To let it "simmer" in 35* C heat is not good. I have a river right behind us and do use it to cleanse the kamode. The only downside, for every bucket in, I've got to bucket it out no Sani dump for many a mile.

At least now I know the tank is the way it is and poo management is the name of the game!!
Steeleco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 05:51 AM   #6

POO management! LOL

ah the things we have to learn to be RV owners
Old 06-27-2017, 06:58 AM   #7

Happened to me once. I ordered this "plunger" thing online and it fixed the issue.

https://www.rvtoiletplunger.com/

Now this thing stays in the back of the truck every camping trip... just in case.
RVPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 08:13 AM   #8

Empty it but don't travel with it empty. Put 4 or 5 gallons of water in it before going home. I use Happy Campers treatment. This is basically water softener and detergent. This makes the inside of the tank slick and keeps stuff from sticking. The sloshing of that 5 gallons of water will clean the tank and break up solids. If you're having a problem you might consider dumping that 5 gallons when you get close to home and adding another 5 gallons for storage. Your black tank should never be completely empty.
Old 06-27-2017, 09:02 AM   #9

As soon as I'm done at the dump station after a camping session I put 5gal of water, a cap full of fabric softener and a Walex black tank treatment packet down there, and then drive home. It sloshes around, keeps things from drying out, cleans more and is ready to go for the next trip. Smells nice too.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:05 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeleco View Post
Thanks all, I only empty right before we leave as the trailer is on property and will be there all summer. To let it "simmer" in 35* C heat is not good. I have a river right behind us and do use it to cleanse the kamode. The only downside, for every bucket in, I've got to bucket it out no Sani dump for many a mile.

At least now I know the tank is the way it is and poo management is the name of the game!!
Letting it "simmer" in 35* heat is better than trying to dump a less than full tank.

If you must dump it, then you need to fill that tank full with water first.

I understand every bucket in = a bucket out that must be hauled to a dump station.

I would suggest getting a waste tote larger than you black tank, I use barker 2 wheel version, and macerator pump. When you leave, top the tank off to 100% full with water, then use the pump to transfer the contents into your waste tank. These waste tanks are designed to be easily transported and dumped into a waste station.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 11:09 AM   #11

Are you on your own private property? If you are you might have a few options, depending on local rules and regulations.

1st add lots of water to the tank after you dump. More water is your friend when it comes to the black tank. After dumping add about 10% of the tanks capacity back in as clean water (river water is just fine). When you flush the toilet use plenty of water. You could just add more river water and less flush water. The key is lots of water. I add ether "Liquid fabric softener" or "water softener" crystals to the tank. This will helps make the water wetter, and will soften the Poo. Only time the tank should be dry, is for winter storage (freezing temps)

Have you confirmed your paper is fully dissolving? Do this simple test. Grab one or two (clean) sheets. Place the paper in a masion jar with a cup of water. Shake it for a moment, and walk away. Look at the paper about 30 minutes later, if it is fully dissolve, your good. If not find new paper to use.

As for letting it sit, in the tank at 35oC, I would have no issues as long as there is plenty of water in the tank to keep the Poo submerged.

If this is your property, you could find out what the regulations are for a latrine. Build one, use it, but also use it as a place to dump your waste tank water. A former neighbor did this. He built the latrine at home, hauled it up on a trailer. Dug the required hole and put the house on top. Where he did it, no permits were required. He just needed to check the required distances from the lake.

Good Luck

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 11:53 AM   #12

If your tank is directly under your toilet, get a black tank wand. You attach it to your hose, stick the wand down and turn on the water. It'll direct a forceful stream of water (some rotate the jet automatically, others you just turn yourself) and it'll break up things pretty good. I do a regular dump at my campground, then when I get it home in the driveway, I'll use the wand until it fill the tank, then dump again at my storage yard. This does the trick every time. It even gets my sensors to start reporting accurately again for at least a trip
sirrealone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 03:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirrealone View Post
If your tank is directly under your toilet, get a black tank wand. You attach it to your hose, stick the wand down and turn on the water. It'll direct a forceful stream of water (some rotate the jet automatically, others you just turn yourself) and it'll break up things pretty good. I do a regular dump at my campground, then when I get it home in the driveway, I'll use the wand until it fill the tank, then dump again at my storage yard. This does the trick every time. It even gets my sensors to start reporting accurately again for at least a trip

Good tip, sirrealone. It takes a few uh-ohs to figure these things out as a newbie.... and the helpful advice from friendly folks on the forum! - Safe travels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mwilder is offline   Reply With Quote