Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-09-2015, 09:44 PM   #21
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
Exactly... I guess I don't understand the fascination people have with cleaning their black tanks. I know what is about to go down there the next time I use it, so I am not all that bothered if its "clean" or not.

If your black tank is working correctly you should get any smells inside your camper. If your black tank isn't working correctly, you better polish the inside of your black tank, or else its gonna keep stinking.

The black tank sensors are notoriously inaccurate and difficult to get "un-gunked". Wasting 100 gallons of water to scrape some toilet paper off a sensor so it will work until the next time you flush seems excessive to me. Talk to the fella's out west right now dealing with the drought...

I empty my black tanks, occasionally run the black tank flush if I have a full hookup, and put about 5 gallons of water back in before I leave. I let the 5 gallons of water slosh around on the drive home. That 5 gallons of water keeps "stuff" from drying on the bottom of the tank... then it agitates that "stuff" on the way to the next campground.

Thankfully my camper came with a dining table, so I don't need to clean the black tank and eat out of it.
Be happy you never had a blockage in your black tank, you would understand why it's important to keep it clean. Also if you ever need work on your black tank system, most will not work on it if it is not 100% clean. I have seen tank blockages and it can be a real nightmare. Much easier to keep it clean all the time. JMHO

2011 Toyota Tundra double cab
2015 27RLS
wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 05:33 AM   #22
I used the geo method before our last trip from va to myrtle beach I installed borax 20 and laundry detergent with about 5 gallons of water! Arrived at beach and checked, sensors reading empty filled up within 2 days and dumped, flushed with clear flush elbow as usual and barely any time until clear!

2011 ram 2500 slt crew cab 6.7 high output cummins
2014 jayco swift 267bhs
"we do it in black pots"
Ryetye is offline   Reply With Quote