Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-14-2014, 03:00 PM   #21

There's been two potential issues mentioned in this thread, I've had them both.

My previous 5th wheel , a Pilgrim, had the city water and tank flush in the same area, and yes I did hook city water to the wrong inlet. I wasn't lucky enough to have water come out the vent, it came trickling out the door while my wife and I were relaxing with a drink after a long drive.

The other issue, forgetting water in the tank occurred with my Jayco 5th wheel this past fall. On our last trip of the season I flushed the black tank several times, at one point I noticed water leaking in the basement, had a look, and discovered when the unit was assembled one hose on the flusher was not clamped, thus the leak. I got distracted with the leak and forgot to dump the black water tank. A month after closing up the unit I remembered about the water in the tank, there had been some well below zero C nights, guess I'll find out this spring if it got too cold!! Remember...... do what you're doing before moving on to something else..... hope that miscue doesn't cost me.

cheers and have a great day.
kiwaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:48 PM   #22

The first few times I drained my black tank there was alot of paper left so when I use my flush I have to close the valve, I do this about 3 times to get everything out, it's the only way to get the paper out of the tank and yes I do use RV paper in it, I work with a guy who has a tool with a camera on the end so i'm going to have a look to see if there is any blockage in the tank before I add water in the spring
1985 21' Hi-Lo (Sold)
93 Yamaha G9A

Dirtfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:32 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by lx22f/c View Post
When you install it, route the inlet and mount it near your valves. That way you dont have to drag a hose around the other side of the camper.
That is what I plan to do. Put it near the tank valves so I have quick access to all dirty water control functions. I hope to get the install done in the spring before we start camping again, hopefully any nastiness remaining in the black tank has subsided over the winter. I bought the quickie flush early last summer, just couldn't bring myself to drill the hole.
jenoble99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:48 AM   #24

So this weekend we were out, and I decided to tempt fate and run the flush with the valve closed. And as you've probably guessed, nothing happened. No explosion of brown liquid, no toilet-turned volcano, nada, kaput. It just filled up the tank and then I pulled the gate and down the drain it went.

First, I used the toilet and the shower hose to top off the tank with fresh water. Then I dumped the black and grey tanks as per standard procedures. Then I closed all the valves and turned on the Black Tank Flush and let it fill the tank. Once DW said tank was full and I could hear the nozzle change tone, I dumped again and left the flush on. When it was empty, and just the flush was running, I closed the valve again and let the tank fill again. When it got full again, I dumped the black again and left the flush on and the gate open for a couple minutes while I tidied up. Then I turned the flush off, closed the gate, went inside and treated the tank as per normal procedures.

I had DW watch the tank monitor pretty closely for me, but I could hear the sound change as the water level rose in the tank. I never went more than 2-3 feet from either the spigot where the hose was attached (so I could turn it off quickly) or the black tank gate (so I could open the drain gate quickly). It actually worked quite nicely, and I will probably make this method my standard procedure. The only problem is that it still seems to take FOREVER for the tank to fill...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:47 AM   #25

It does take forever for the tank to fill up. However I did this on my 2004 JayFlight and the tank was always clean. No problems. Every other year or so I would also put two XXL bags of ice and a gallon of bleach down the toilet after I cleaned it and then drain it later to keep the gunk down. I always filled the tank up with fresh water multiple times to ensure a clean tank prior to the next use. The other thing I do is always load chemicals into the tank with a layer of water. This means the tank never dries out. In the nearly 10 years I owned the JayFlight we never once had any foul smells other problems related to the black tank. I also occasionally cleaned out the grey tank by putting appropriate chemicals in it as well. That helps keep the scum down from soap etc. The grey tank is also kept with a thin layer of water in it at all times. The biggest issue is a tank drying out with solids in it.
2014 Greyhawk 31FS with a 2007 Tahoe toad
New setup:
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 with a 2017 Ford Explorer toad
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 07:59 AM   #26

I just purchased a 2012 28BHS, and tried to use the flush system and had water run into the bathroom.
Does that checkvalve go bad often?
Where can I get a replacement?
lhpelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:29 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHaul View Post
After reading Donedroolin's posts I looked in my manual (2013 Jay Flight) and there was actually no mention made at all regarding the black tank flush. I believe that 2013 was the first year Jayco offered the flush valve on the Jay Flight, so I also looked in the 2014 manual, and there's no mention of it there either. So I just called Jayco and asked. The lady was very nice on the phone and her exact words to me were, "You could close the valve but we don't recommend it simply because if you leave it unattended, the tank will overflow." So I asked if there was any other reason not to close it, such as a check valve and she said, "No, the only reason we can't recommend it is because of the potential for overflow."
This is a solid post, imo.

I've flushed mine often and always close the black tank valve, go inside and watch the sensor til it says full, walk back out and pull the valve open.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:19 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpelton View Post
I just purchased a 2012 28BHS, and tried to use the flush system and had water run into the bathroom.
Does that checkvalve go bad often?
Where can I get a replacement?
Link to thread about the very same issue, might help...

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/sh...ack+tank+flush

IIRC, I've read a couple of places where people have had problems with that check valve...

Edit: Now that I'm reading your post a little closer, you mentioned that water goes into the bathroom when city water connected to the black flush? It doesn't sound like that would be a check valve issue. Where in the bathroom does the water run? I guess it could be possible for the tank sprayer nozzle to be pointed up toward the toilet? I dunno...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:55 AM   #29

Mine stopped up, was inclosed inside furnace/ wh area, flooded both one nite. That b and b 571 vent has been giving people pains for a few years. Called Jayco service and they said leave it off, but get a back flow device to attach to hose outside unit when in use. The device can be found at pluming stores. Contacted b and b and they say the valves will exhaust a certain amount of water under normal conditions. They will also send you a new valve free. When I stated I was not happy about reinstall the same valve over my furnace, they sent a device that replaces the tank flush water inlet, that has a back flow valve built in. Jayco and B and B are well aware of this problem.
arkhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 09:25 AM   #30

The water was coming out of the black valve under the sink, not technically in the bathroom.
lhpelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 10:32 AM   #31

The 571 vent is to be installed above toilet level, in a area where it can vent water, during normal use, per mfg. Some are in the bath, kitchen sink, in furnace w/h compartment, etc. Goggle this vent, and you will find a three or four year history of failure, in several brands of rv's. If it totally stops working, water will spill out full force, and will flood the unit. While standing outside the unit, doing a real good job of flushing my black tank, I realized there was a real problem, when water started dripping from the floor. Yes, the black valve was open! Jayco service will give a" ho-hum" response, and b and b mfg will send you a new valve. I chose to remove the valve, period.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:44 PM   #32

The valve b and b sent me was stamped 688-F, It is a water inlet valve w/screen and has a built-in check valve that prevents water from pushing back from black tank to park fresh water system. As I stated, I bought a cheap plastic backflow valve at my local hardware/pluming store, that screws onto the end of my hose to tank flush. To install the 688-F would take about 5 mins standing on the outside of unit. It looks like a solid piece to me, and I plan on installing it.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:00 AM   #33

Took the maiden voyage with my Eagle last week, and all went well. Before leaving, I wanted to dump the tanks and flush the black tank. The Drain Connection and Valves are near the middle of the trailer, while the Black Tank Flush connection is near the end. So, after dumping the tanks, I had to pull the trailer up about 12' to get the campground flush hose near the flush connection. Needless to say, I had to close the tank valves and unhook the slinky in order to do that. After reading this thread (and others), I only let the water run into the flusher for about a minute. Then I unhooked, backed up, reconnected the drain hose and dumped. I repeated this process twice, and was amazed at how much stuff came out each time (I have a clear drain elbow to monitor the flow)! Now my black tank sensor actually reads empty!

BTW, the Charmin Ultra-Soft seemed to dissolve pretty well, but stay away from those "flushable wipes". You know, the ones where the lady is taking a shower with her clothes on, and not using any water. While they say they are septic safe, they do NOT dissolve AT ALL! Temporarily plugged up my valve and the strainer on the dump before things finally broke through and flowed freely. Just a word of warning!
Old 05-22-2015, 05:21 AM   #34

Exclamation Tank Flush

Make sure to check the inside connection of the tank flush before you turn on the water, mine DID NOT have anything connected, simply an open hole to the under sink and cabinet area, made a terrible mess and of course didn't realize it until gallons of water began to run out from all under the trailer.
Greenjeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 07:21 PM   #35

I disconnect the city water, make sure my water pump is OFf. Then after my black tank is done emptying out, I close the tank flush valve, I turn on the water on (I have a shutoff valve right at the connection where it connects to the rear of the trailer) then I grab a flashlight and go inside, open the foot pedal and watch the tank start to fill, I also watch it swirl around in there as well and can see TP and other stuff swirling as well. When it gets about 1/2 full, I go outside and open the flush valve and empty the tank, close the valve, go back inside and watch thru the toilet bowl and watch the water swirl until it gets about 1/2 full. back outside and empty the tank again. Usually, 3 times gets the tank clean. I have a clear elbow on the tank flush valve so I can see what is coming out. Never had any issues. By the way, my family knows not to distract me while I am doing this.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 07:42 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAurand View Post
snip... I turn on the water on (I have a shutoff valve right at the connection where it connects to the rear of the trailer) then I grab a flashlight and go inside, open the foot pedal and watch the tank start to fill, I also watch it swirl around in there as well and can see TP and other stuff swirling as well. ...snip
Excellent idea! I've followed a similar process (dump, flush with dump closed, dump again; repeat 3 times), BUT I've never looked in the black tank while flushing. I just watched what flowed out of the tank through the clear elbow, but had no idea how much I was adding into the tank through the tank flush.

Dumping those tanks is not something I enjoy, but having a better idea of how thorough the flushing is could head off nasty problems. This season I will give your method a try.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 07:33 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
Excellent idea! I've followed a similar process (dump, flush with dump closed, dump again; repeat 3 times), BUT I've never looked in the black tank while flushing. I just watched what flowed out of the tank through the clear elbow, but had no idea how much I was adding into the tank through the tank flush.

Dumping those tanks is not something I enjoy, but having a better idea of how thorough the flushing is could head off nasty problems. This season I will give your method a try.

IMPORTANT>>>>> Just be careful not to drop the flashlight down into the tank. I tie a string around the flashlight and attach it to my wrist.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 08:12 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
Took the maiden voyage with my Eagle last week, and all went well. Before leaving, I wanted to dump the tanks and flush the black tank. The Drain Connection and Valves are near the middle of the trailer, while the Black Tank Flush connection is near the end. So, after dumping the tanks, I had to pull the trailer up about 12' to get the campground flush hose near the flush connection. Needless to say, I had to close the tank valves and unhook the slinky in order to do that. After reading this thread (and others), I only let the water run into the flusher for about a minute. Then I unhooked, backed up, reconnected the drain hose and dumped. I repeated this process twice, and was amazed at how much stuff came out each time (I have a clear drain elbow to monitor the flow)! Now my black tank sensor actually reads empty!
You will find it much easier to take an old section of hose that you probably have around the house and use it solely as your black tank flush hose. Just connect it to the BW rinse hose at the dump station and you are good to go. We just have a small separate tote we throw it in. It doesn't need to be very long (just about 10-15 feet or so). So if the old hose you have at your house is longer, just cut it down and add a fixture on the end.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 08:13 AM   #39

On the last day in camp, I'll dump, then run the BT Flush for a few. Then close the valve and let her fill. Watch the idiot lights inside closely, then run around and turn off the water. Open the valve and let 'er whoose. Might do it again if the DW has decided to not get too excited about her part of closing down.
I'm unsure of the spray pattern it uses for flushing, but since the only other way to refill the tank for a second big flush is to run the toilet (and perhaps also point the shower into it), this seems to be the only practical solution without dragging hoses inside. On mine, when the last "tank full" light comes on, I still seem to have plenty of time to get to the hose bib to turn it off.
So far, never any issues.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:46 AM   #40

When I am back flushing with the black water valve, I listen closely to the sound of the flush spray hitting the sides of the tank, Initially it is quite loud, but as the tank fills up it becomes increasingly quieter. At the point that the noise is almost disappeared, I open the black water valve. I have learned that when the noise of the flush hitting the tank walls almost disappears, the tank is about half full. Like RAurand said. Don't bother me during this flushing process.