Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-06-2017, 08:09 PM   #41

We use our black flush when there's nobody behind us at the dump station. I hate making people wait on me almost as much as I hate waiting unnecessarily on others.

I do use it though when I have the opportunity, and *only* with the dump valve open (per the manual and warning stickers on the side of the trailer). I also have a separate, black hose that is never used for anything else.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 12:27 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Yep. You don't want to add anything that is not safe for you to eat or drink.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hohenwald48 View Post
I think everything I put in my black tank is not safe for you to eat or drink.
Hahaha my thoughts went there as well !!

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 12:35 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hohenwald48 View Post
I think everything I put in my black tank is not safe for you to eat or drink.
Actually most everything you put in your black tank you DID eat or drink first

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 12:49 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
Hahaha my thoughts went there as well !!
Hohenwald48
I agree X 1000000000000000000000000000

JHerzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 09:02 AM   #45

black tank flush

Have a 2012 jayco greyhawk bunk model. it has a blank tank exterior hose hookup to flush after emptying tank. do you just hook up hose or do you have to set the valves in the back storage unit a certain way. used it once and water seemed to flow out from under the rv.
Rmacgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 07:01 PM   #46

Do you need the water on to flush out black tank

We had to turn our water off due to a leak the other day and we've only find number 1 in the toilet since but now when we press the button is saying 2/3 full but we have our valves open and we're hooked to the sewage line but it didn't seem to be going out so my question is does the water have to be on in order to flush it out of the black tank
Jessirummell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 07:27 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmacgill View Post
Have a 2012 jayco greyhawk bunk model. it has a blank tank exterior hose hookup to flush after emptying tank. do you just hook up hose or do you have to set the valves in the back storage unit a certain way. used it once and water seemed to flow out from under the rv.
You only want to use that black tank flush with the dump valve open and of course with the dump hose connected. I have heard horror stories about over filling the black tank! Make sure that the “air admittance valve” is working properly so that incoming rinse water is not entering the camper. Those are usually under the bathroom sink and are there to prevent siphoning backwards through the garden hose. There are reports of the air admittance valve being installed backwards so may sure you check that for leakage.
2014 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost
skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 12:21 PM   #48

I need help. My black tank reads it's 2/3 full even after I dump it at the RV park. I have a flush water connection on the outside of the coach. It says to make sure the valve is closed. Where is the valve? I have not used the flush connection because of the valve issue
nels1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 02:04 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by nels1954 View Post
I need help. My black tank reads it's 2/3 full even after I dump it at the RV park. I have a flush water connection on the outside of the coach. It says to make sure the valve is closed. Where is the valve? I have not used the flush connection because of the valve issue
Usually there is a warning to have the valve open (the same one you use to empty the black tank). The black tank flush is basically power washing the tank. If the valve is closed the water doesn’t have a place to go so it overflows the tank through the toilet. Attach a hose you won’t be using for drinking water, open the black tank valve, and turn on the water at the spigot. Stand back and drink a beer or whatever for as long as you can block the spot.

Because you haven’t flushed the tanks your sensors are likely crusted over which is why the reading is off. There are various potions from homemade brews to commercial liquids and powders that all claim to clean your black tank and get those sensors working again. Your mileage will vary.
Old 06-24-2021, 04:33 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNashville View Post
Grumpy I think you've been misinformed as there are warnings posted by the black tank flush connection that the valve must be open during use. If you use the black tank flush to refill the tank and forget its running it'll back up in the toilet and cause all kinds of mess. I make this statement for some of the newer members of the Forum as not to cause confusion. Now, what I actually do is close the valve after the first dump and back fill it with the tank flush about 2/3's full and dump again. My flush also works well with the valve open.
Set a timer and you won't overfill the tank. Just how I do it and no over filling.
Poppyof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 06:17 PM   #51

Yep. If no one is waiting I will cycle a couple times until the water is perfectly clear. But it is critical to not forget to reopen the valve.
Old 06-26-2021, 03:34 PM   #52

I do the same thing, open the valve and dump with the flush on, close the valve and keep the flush running for 5 minutes setting the timer on my phone and open the valve again. I then repeat closing the valve to add more water for 3 minutes. I then shut the flush off but leave that water in my black tank. We have a seasonal so our camper never leaves but leaving some water in the holding tank seems to work for us!
Old 07-14-2021, 12:44 PM   #53

I’m a newbie as well

What is a black tank flush?? We RV camp, then go to dumping station and empty out black and grey tanks and I use the hose supplied to put up the pipe and try to “flush” out any remaining stuff. Is there something else I should be doing?
Gadget13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 02:36 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget13 View Post
What is a black tank flush?? We RV camp, then go to dumping station and empty out black and grey tanks and I use the hose supplied to put up the pipe and try to “flush” out any remaining stuff. Is there something else I should be doing?
Not all RV's have a black tank flush valve. It would be near the water valves on the outside of the unit and should be clearly marked. It's a valve that allows you to flush clean water into the black tank then out through the discharge.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 08:56 PM   #55

Here’s my setup. A Valterra 45° reverse flush with valve, then I put on a one way check valve followed by a digital water meter. I hook up my designated black garden hose. Open up black tank till empty, close reverse flush valve, open up fresh water hose till meter reads 30-34 gallons and flush. Rinse and repeat if need be. You can also do this to the grey tank if need be.
Thomasjbourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 10:04 AM   #56

I use the wand down the toilet.........works just fine.
Old 06-29-2022, 07:14 PM   #57

Black tank flushing

In our 10 years of trailer camping we've never stayed at a campground that had full hookups so I have a question.
At a regular dump station there are separate faucets for black tank flushing and for fresh water fill. And we have two different hoses for each.
At the campground I suspect that there will only be one faucet? If so, do you use it for both purposes but just swap the hose?
We appreciate any help.
Old 06-29-2022, 08:03 PM   #58
Site Team

I would not use the potable water source to flush a black tank. I'd dump it, drop a few toilet bowls full of water into it, and finish the flushing at home. You might confirm the campground's policy at the office.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 08:59 PM   #59

Black tank flush

Sounds logical. And sanitary. We can hit a dump station on the interstate going home.
Shroomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 11:48 AM   #60

I have the clear elbow with the hose attachment. It seems to work for me and I have had the flow stop after draining and I cut the valve on the elbow to open for a minute and then here comes a lot more solids and water. Seems like it is doing something to me so that's the route I go. I was surprised that my trailer didn't come with a black tank flush built in.
ChrisLoftis is offline   Reply With Quote