Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-09-2010, 07:44 PM   #1

Black Tank Leak?

2008 jayco eagle 328rls - it has a mere 100 miles on it as we have taken it to our land we own in Northern Wisconsin. We have decided to put it on blocks (8 support points and leveled and re-leveled) the next season. The problem, I have a dripping liquid from the sealed bottom in the area of the Black Waste Tank (90%) sure it is black waste. We don't use the the restroom except for when the ladies don't feel like heading to the OutHouse in the middle of the night and rarely any solid waste. Have followed all the Manuals recommendations for emptying the tank. ( Last year, I had a probem closing the valve, found that the plastic waste from the hole being cut was jammed in the valve.) The questions is how the heck do you really flush the tank good? Do I have to remove the bottom panel to get direct access into the tank to find why or where it is leaking? AND the dang indicator light never worked after the first time it was used - now it just reads full or 2/3 full.

Any help would be welcomed - Thanks -

Steve & Kelly
SgtRock63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:43 PM   #2

A couple of suggestions - the indicator lights are notorious for not working well. This isn't a Jayco only issue; most RV'ers will complain of the same problem to one degree or another. In your case, I'd suggest it's compounded by the fact that your trailer doesn't move.

You have a few options for flushing the tank really well, but because the trailer doesn't move agitating the water within the tank will be tough. You won't be able to do it the 'traditional' way (fill the tank 1/2 full, throw in some baking soda or dishsoap and drive down the road for an hour). I'd suggest you hit an RV store and buy a wand that you hook to the hose & stick down the toilet - probably a $40.00 investment to clean the inside of the tank.

As for the leak, I have the panel under the frame of my 23k too; because it wasn't cut to fit really well, water can occasionally travel down the exterior of the trailer and make its way in there. Again, because I travel with my trailer, water will drain out as I drive - in your case, it probably just sits there between the panel and the floor of the trailer until it can find its way out. My thoughts are that your tank is probably not leaking, but you have either condensation or rainwater sitting in there.

IF you're going to go through the headache of taking the panel off, you might as well see about either cleaning the sensors or purchasing an upgraded sensor system for the tanks and install it then. I think they're pretty easy to put in.

Good luck & let us know how you make out!

2010 JayFeather 23K
05 GMC Envoy XL
McMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 08:31 AM   #3

We have ours parked too. Got a wand, and I'll be trying it out soon.
The tank sensors never seem to work properly, but I believe that a RV issue, and not just a Jayco problem.
We have the panels that enclose the bottom, so I'm putting off removing them till next spring to check the tanks.
There is a MOD that replaces the sensors with sensors that attach to the outside of the tanks, and replaces the monitor panel too.
I actually enjoy investigating the issues we have with our "new" 8yr old Jayco.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:36 PM   #4

Thanks for the response - I have bought the wand, we will be using it next weekend and see if I can agitate that way. If I take off the panel, I will look at cleaning the sensor or doing the Mod - any suggestions on the mod or where to get it?
SgtRock63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:49 AM   #5

Check out Modmyrv ... lots of good info there - the link below is for the holding tanks.

http://www.modmyrv.com/2009/01/12/rv...monitor-system

Good luck!

2010 JayFeather 23K
05 GMC Envoy XL
McMonk is offline   Reply With Quote