Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-03-2013, 10:03 PM   #1

Black tank leak

My inlaws have been using our jayco while having some remodeling done to their house. Went to pick it up today to get ready for our spring break trip next weekend.
Well the camper stinks of sewer smell. I stopped at a sp on tve 2 hour trip home and flused the black tank real good and figured that would eliminate the smell wrong.
After getting it set up in the driveway i could still smell sewer outside and inside treated both tanks but still smell sewer. I looked under the trailer at the rear where the black tank is and i spot a leak.
So i take loose the under belly from the other side and found my black tank flush fiiting is cracked and when the tank is 3/4 full you can see where it has leaked.
I removed all the insulation that was sewer soaked and flushed the under belly out with bleach and water, but it still stinks!
I then sprayed straight bleach on the under belly to try and kill the smell but just went and checked 2 hours later but you can still smell that awful smell inside and outside.
It smells of sewer, ammonia dead rat smell. There is no sign of rats so how long will it take to get rid of the smell?
Gonna try a baking soda treatment tomorrow and see if tbat helps. Gotta get it gone by tve weekend because we will be in it for 7 days on spring break!
Any good suggestions?
lx22f/c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:53 AM   #2

I don't know how to answer you directly, but would suggest contacting a restoration company. The kind of business that restores property after floods, fires, etc. Also, I would try the customer service contacts of some of the companies that make cleaning products.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:57 AM   #3

Black tank leak

Well i got the leaking black tank fixed! The black tank flush was leaking got a new one and installed and relocated the hose to the left side near the drain. I dont know why jayco put the hose all the way on the right side that made no sense.
After getting the black tank sealed up could still smell something dead. I knew there was another smell and i looked everywhere but i cannot find the dead rat.
I got a odor absorber from the local hardware store and the smell is almost gone in just 12 hours.
I have to say it works great. Gonna pick up another one today to put in the underbelly maybe we can have a smell free spring break.
Robert
Old 03-05-2013, 07:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lx22f/c View Post
Well i got the leaking black tank fixed! The black tank flush was leaking got a new one and installed and relocated the hose to the left side near the drain. I dont know why jayco put the hose all the way on the right side that made no sense.
After getting the black tank sealed up could still smell something dead. I knew there was another smell and i looked everywhere but i cannot find the dead rat.
I got a odor absorber from the local hardware store and the smell is almost gone in just 12 hours.
I have to say it works great. Gonna pick up another one today to put in the underbelly maybe we can have a smell free spring break.
Robert
If you like coffee, buy 2 cans and leave them sitting out in the bathroom and main room of the camper (lids off of course). You would be shocked how fast coffee takes odors like that out. Pluse, it smells pretty good while it does its magic! Good luck!
campingdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:49 PM   #5

Black tank leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by campingdog View Post
If you like coffee, buy 2 cans and leave them sitting out in the bathroom and main room of the camper (lids off of course). You would be shocked how fast coffee takes odors like that out. Pluse, it smells pretty good while it does its magic! Good luck!
Thats a good idea, i don't drink coffee but love the smell of it. I bought a couple of the odor sponge and man they worked great. I put one in the camper and attached one in the under belly and the smell is gone...
My spring break is saved!!!!
Old 03-05-2013, 09:52 PM   #6

Black tank leak

Here is what i used and i have to say i am impressed with how quick they worked....Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362541943.549193.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	6765