Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-23-2013, 10:05 PM   #1

Blackwater Tank Draining Issue

We're out on our 2nd season now with our 22FB and enjoying the Jayco immensely. However this past weekend I encountered, yet once again, a problem when it came time to drain the blackwater tank into the sewer hookup. As was the case once before, at the end of a 3-day weekend excursion the BW tank was about 1/3 full. I pulled opened the drain valve handle and encountered very little liquid draining out. I turned on the water to the hose that was connected to the BW tank 'rinse' inlet and heard a ton of water gushing in to the tank. But no water yet emerging into the external drain hose. With the 'rinse' water now gushing into the tank (and the valve open) the BW level gauge at the control panel indicated a 2/3 level in the tank.

My suspicion was that the hole at the bottom of the tank itself was clogged. So I reached under the trailer chassis and GENTLY tapped below that point on the tank with a small hammer. After a few careful taps luckily the tank then began to drain.

So my question is what might I be doing wrong? My conclusion, at this point, is that once the BW tank drain valve is opened the waste that has accumulated in the holding tank rushes towards the now opened drain valve and gets caught. Thus nothing drains. Since most of our camping with the trailer at this point is limited to short 3 or 4 day stints, the accumulated paper (yes, we're using appropriate RV paper) and solid material in the tank won't have ample time to dissolve and break apart. (correct?) Thus everything gets caught at the tank exit hole. I do add an appropriate RV sanitary tank chemical additive to the tank if only to minimize any potential odors, though I would think that the chemical additive won't cause any chemical breakdowns to occur in the span of a few days like this.

Should I be doing something differently? Has anyone else encountered this problem? Is there any kind of useful cleanout tool which is made to combat this particular problem? My worst fear is that someday I go to drain the tank and it WON'T drain. And the hammer tap remedy doesn't fix the problem either. So I'll be forced to endure a rather unpleasant cleanout task when I get home.

Any thoughts, comments or suggestions?
Thanks.
Ed
Steamboat_Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:36 AM   #2

We use a homemade concoction that seems to make everything, including paper, dissolve very rapidly, and we never have any odors. Like you, our camping is usually less than 4 days at a time, and we don't have any problem draining the tank. We put this concoction down the toilet along with several gallons of water, and it sits for as much as a month between trips. Then just before we leave on a trip, I dump 10lb of ice down the toilet, and it scours the tank while on the road. Dump that after arriving at CG, then put another dose of concoction down the toilet. Dump normally just before leaving CG (add water if necessary to get up to 2/3 full first). Concoction is mixed like this: 8oz Pine-Sol, 8oz liquid fabric softener, 8oz household ammonia, 1 cup baking soda. Mix in a gallon jug, then add water to fill jug. Pour 1 cup of concoction down kitchen sink and one down bathroom sink, then the rest down the toilet. Hope this helps.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:17 AM   #3
Site Team

You may want to also consider some construction debris in there that won't come out.

Any way you can see in there without asphyxiating yourself when it is empty, or tapping on it when empty to listen for something rattling in there loose?

Try filling the tank full before you dump it also to see if that makes a difference.

Good luck with it. I have seen people at dump stations running a stick up in the outlet to clear a clog. Not a pretty sight!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:02 AM   #4

I have had to snake mine a couple of times with a piece of tubing. Similiar situation, 3 or 4 days, 4 girls using too much TP and not enough water. Fill the tank to near full before pulling the drain valve. This will give it enough pressure to push out all the thinkgs that may be stopping it up at a lower fill level. After 3 to 4 days, I would think you would be more than 1/3 full.
TX_Arvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:22 AM   #5

Is it normal for the black tank valve to leak just a little bit? My trailer has been sitting for 2 weeks with 3 gallons of water plus chemical in the black tank with the valve closed. When I pulled the sewer cap off, an ounce or two of green chemically treated water dribbled out. It's a brand new trailer, used the black tank once.

To the O.P. - try using more water each time the toilet is used. Sounds like you're cooking more of a "stew" than a "soup" LOL
SkyBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:41 AM   #6

Thanks for the concoction mixture info. We'll certainly try that out. Sounds great. Typically we will pull in the the CG on a Thursday night and head home mid-day on Sunday. I'm convinced that the key to the problem, most likely, is the rate at which the tissue paper can dissolve and given the short amount of time of our stay. The paper is still not sufficiently dissolved (if at all). Anything to speed up the breakdown process would be a big help. Will try out your remedy. Thanks!
Old 06-24-2013, 08:53 AM   #7
Site Team

Hey, Steamboat_Willie, take a few sheets of that paper you use and drop it in a glass of clear water and watch how long it takes to break down. You may just need some more water in your tank to let it work, especially if you aren't filling it but 1/3 after a few days.

I can go a week with mine, entirely dependent on how many are using it, but I make sure it has a few gallons in it to start.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 06-24-2013, 09:08 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamboat_Willie View Post
As was the case once before, at the end of a 3-day weekend excursion the BW tank was about 1/3 full. I pulled opened the drain valve handle and encountered very little liquid draining out.

Should I be doing something differently? Has anyone else encountered this problem?
Ed
Steamboat - It's not best practice to dump your black tank 1/3 full....before you head to the dumpstation fill your tank to 2/3...that way you will get the maximum force and extended cleansing when you dump. Second, I would get a clear coupler for the waste gate so you can see (gulp) the condition of the blackwater as it exits. If you are still seeing bits of toilet paper and waste...do another rinse. Lastly...whatever your toilet paper use habits are at home....try to learn to cut them in half.

If you don't know what a clear coupler is let us know....
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:18 AM   #9

I've seen those clear coupler fittings online. Will put on my 'to-buy' list. Good suggestion. And yes we have minimized our TP usage habits as well.
Thanks.
Ed
Old 06-24-2013, 11:30 AM   #10

Has anyone tried Breakup Plus? I just learned of it last week and it sounds like it should help with the debris in the black tank. I pulled my 30 gallon tank out this past weekend and was surprised at the amount remaining after draining and rinsing.

The valve should not leak at all.
2015 RAM 3500 CTD
steveb285rks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:59 PM   #11

Are you keeping your Black water tank closed at all times till ready to dump?? do you fill the tank up to about three forth full before you dump so it gets a good dump? if you leave the tank in the open position all times the liquid will run out and the solids will stay till it plugs up you dump line. then its time to dump that BIG bag of ice in and start driving around to break ever thing lose< GOOD LUCK
JohnDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:22 PM   #12

Steamboat, to answer your question if anyone has run into this the answer is YES. And it has driven me nuts. It happened last year on two occasions and again this year. I've followed all the correct prceedures and have always filled the tank prior to emptying it. I eventualy installed a Tornado tank rinser a month ago. I make sure that there is a fair amount of water in the tank prior to using it. I've had trailers for 20 years now and never had a problem like this before. I almost sent a camera down on the inside to see what the hold up was. Fortunately Ive got the problem fixed and never had to. I like to keep our tanks very clean and know you can get a pyramid effect if not. The tank rinser should help with this. The other plan I have is to use Calgon water softener in the tank. A cup of the stuff every now and then will make the tank slippery so things will slide right out.(so to speak). Yes like yourself we use the RV toilet paper as well. Good luck.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:31 AM   #13

I believe that most of these type of problems are caused by not using enough water everytime you flush the toilet. I also like to add water to the black tank to close to full. This seems to apply a little extra pressure.
Don
Donr827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:10 AM   #14

Send a message via AIM to Bigmike1461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamboat_Willie View Post
Thanks for the concoction mixture info. We'll certainly try that out. Sounds great. Typically we will pull in the the CG on a Thursday night and head home mid-day on Sunday. I'm convinced that the key to the problem, most likely, is the rate at which the tissue paper can dissolve and given the short amount of time of our stay. The paper is still not sufficiently dissolved (if at all). Anything to speed up the breakdown process would be a big help. Will try out your remedy. Thanks!
Don't use Paper,we put the paper in little brown lunch bags and then throw them away...You are right the paper dose not break down fast enough and it sticks to the gauge
2016 F350 lariat 4x4 6.2 gas 3:73
2018 Jayco 28.5RSTS HT
[SIGPIC]

Long Island,NY.
Bigmike1461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:19 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmike1461 View Post
Don't use Paper,we put the paper in little brown lunch bags and then throw them away...
OK...I was never going to to admit it....but we do it too at times...especially if we are locked in on a rainy weekend [ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Old 06-25-2013, 03:22 PM   #16

After reading all the helpful posts here I think that the lack of adequate time needed to break down the toilet paper may be the key to the problem. And 2/3 full prior to draining. Thus usage of the optional 'brown-bag' alternative paper disposal suggestion makes a lot of sense in an effort to eliminate the paper from the tank. So here's what I've learned:

Guidelines for Successfully Draining the Black Water Tank
1. While storing your RV at home, add a gallon of the "Magic Concoction" (or Calgon) to the tank and fill to less than 1/3.
2. When leaving home and heading to the CG add 10 pounds of ice cubes to the tank.
3. When arriving at the CG fill the tank to 2/3 and drain into sewer connection or dump station.
4. Keep the tank drain valved closed and only open when draining.
5. Fill tank again to less than 1/3 and add a gallon of "Magic Concoction" to the tank yet again.
6. Consider disposing the toilet paper with the "brown-bag" alternative instead of tossing paper into the tank.
7. ALWAYS fill the tank to 2/3 prior to draining.
8. Add a "clear" drain hose fitting to the exterior outlet sewer hose connection to provide a means to visually confirm tank liquid outflow.
9. Thoroughly rinse the tank after draining.
10. Head home.

I think I've got it. Thanks.

Ed
(aka Steamboat Willie)
Old 06-25-2013, 03:50 PM   #17
Site Team

I could / would not even consider bagging my tp separately.

To each his own I say.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 06-26-2013, 12:02 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I could / would not even consider bagging my tp separately.

To each his own I say.
X2

I will take my chances with a clog !!
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:16 PM   #19

I encourage everyone using our head to use water, lots of water, and as little paper as possible. I was warned several years ago (while we were still contemplating a TT) to watch out for the dreaded "poop pyramid", a symptom of not enough water. We've always had full hook-up so dumping often is not an issue.
If there's debris in the tank maybe a wand would stir it enough to get it moving.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:52 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33 RLDS View Post
X2 - I will take my chances with a clog !!
Easy for for ANYONE to say who has a black water tank that's larger than 9 GALLONS....

With a 9 gallon tank... I need 3 gallons to start with (just to keep the bottom of the tank wet)....there is at least 2 gallons of capacity that's unusable....that leaves 3-4 gallons of usable wastewater (which can get burned through pretty fast with 3 adults). TP never has the chance to break down in our tank...and 7 gallons doesn't allow for a very lengthy and forceful cleansing when you dump.

I have friend with a larger pop-up with a cassette black tank....his motto is "if it's yellow, it's mellow.....don't send down until it's good and brown"