Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-01-2014, 08:33 PM   #1
GMC

Blaylock Wheel Lock

Has anyone tried this Blaylock wheel lock? I'm having trouble finding a wheel lock that with work with a single axel TT with electric brakes. This one looks like it might do the trick though. If not this one are there any other suggestions?

http://www.etrailer.com/Locks/Blaylo.../BLEZ-300.html
GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:25 PM   #2

I haven't tried one but it should be a good anti theft deterent. A hitch lock may save you some money.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 05:46 AM   #3

Run a length of log chain through one of those holes in the rim and up across the axle or a frame member with a padlock on it.

If you catch the guy trying to steal your trailer you can take the chain off and beat the $%&# out of him with it.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:32 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfarmall View Post
Run a length of log chain through one of those holes in the rim and up across the axle or a frame member with a padlock on it.

If you catch the guy trying to steal your trailer you can take the chain off and beat the $%&# out of him with it.
X2. When I had my camper in an unsecure storage lot, I ran a chain through 1 wheel, up through the frame, then back through the second wheel, then locked the 2 ends of the chain together. I also had a hitch and coupler lock. Combined, this combo was cheaper than that one wheel lock, and honestly took me only a minute or 2 to put on. I figured with the one wheel lock, they can simply remove that wheel, place my spare on, and drive off...
kvangil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 08:44 AM   #5

Heavy Duty Wheel Lock: http://www.equipmentlock.com/hdwl_home.asp Might be what you are looking for.

'13 Jayco Premier 351RLTS

'17 F350 King Ranch Ultimate FX4 6.7L TD SRW LB BackFlip F1
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:01 AM   #6
GMC

I love the chain idea but the drums for the electric brakes prevent anything from being run through the wheels. That's the problem with most wheel locks as well. The part of the lock that goes on the inside of the wheel would hit the brakes and not lock onto the wheel itself. As far as the hitch lock, what's to keep someone from simply unscrewing the nut on the underside of the tongue and removing the lock? I know nothing is going to give me 100% protection, but I'd like something to keep it secured while we're away.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:58 AM   #7

I should've clarified...I don't use a "chain" per se, but one of those security cables (3/8" thick, I believe) that has a loop on both ends; I bought the 12' cable. I looped it into one spoke of the wheel, then back out the front through the next spoke, before running through the axle and repeating on the other spoke. Tighten the cable then lock the end loops together with a padlock, etc. That was how I was able to clear the electric drum brakes. As for hitch lock, etc, I figured with the combination of wheels locked, and hitch/coupler locked, a thief would prefer to look for an easier target, unless he just HAD to have my trailer... In that case, there's really nothing you can do to stop them anyway.... Hence I also have full coverage insurance.
kvangil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:44 PM   #8
GMC

Thanks for all the replies. After several confused looks when asking about wheel locks I decided to buy a good hitch lock. Apparently someone hauling off from the campsite with your trailer is not as big a problem as I had imagined. At any rate at least they will have to do some work before they can get it. I still like the chain/cable idea, but I have about 1/4" gap to work with so I'll have to go shopping for some smaller cable.
Old 06-06-2014, 12:16 PM   #9

HI
I like the chain option, I have been broken into twice
I have a tongue lock on mine.
annie oakly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 11:02 AM   #10

I looked at that Blaylock device and it reminded me of a Denver boot removal I saw a few years ago in Washington, D.C. This guy walked back to his car to find a boot on it. Showing no anger or frustration, he laid down on the ground, monkeyed around for not more than 30 seconds, pulled it out in the street and drove off. I saw no tool or anything, although it's possible he had seen it earlier and had gotten ahold of something to assist him. I've always wondered how he did that. But unless you've got a particularly attractive (to thieves) camper, I wouldn't worry too much about running across such sophistication in the average punks. They'd far prefer an unprotected target.
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 04:29 PM   #11

I have a sign, that if you don't see me, im inside loading my gun. lol its much more effective than a chain.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:45 PM   #12

That's good!
annie oakly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 06:08 AM   #13

I have a friend that has a sigh that says.
Silent alarm, you will only hear it if I miss.
RHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 06:00 PM   #14

I have a padlock on the hitch jaw release lever and a cable run through the front wheel over the leaf spring then back out through rear wheel w/ padlock.
Its really only a deterrent for an amateur thief.
Jacotim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 06:02 PM   #15

Does anyone have a recommendation for a hitch lock that first the Jayco hitch tongue? The Jayco is wider than most other brands and I have not found a compatible locking system for it.
Jacotim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 07:13 PM   #16

Ive wondered, my htt has the auto brake engage pin under the front by the hitch. Could you leave it unplugged while its stored? They would need to be familiar with the device to know why its not moving without any physical devices to be seen?
theamazingmaynards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 07:22 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by theamazingmaynards View Post
Ive wondered, my htt has the auto brake engage pin under the front by the hitch. Could you leave it unplugged while its stored? They would need to be familiar with the device to know why its not moving without any physical devices to be seen?
There would be a LARGE battery drain so the electric brakes wouldn't be a deterrent for too long. Doing that also not good for the brake wiring.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 08:07 PM   #18

Ah, thought there might be a way to isolate the battery and have the brakes engage when they plug into the getaway vehicle. Assuming they do so. Ha!
theamazingmaynards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 07:15 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMC View Post
Has anyone tried this Blaylock wheel lock? I'm having trouble finding a wheel lock that with work with a single axel TT with electric brakes. This one looks like it might do the trick though. If not this one are there any other suggestions?

https://www.etrailer.com/Locks/Blayl.../BLEZ-300.html
This is what I use on one wheel - https://www.amazon.com/Trimax-TCL65-...a-436197776553

I also use a hitch lock, but then again I'm probably paranoid. To further demonstrate that I also use a length of chain and three padlocks to lock my surge protector to the power pedestal at RV parks...
AnacortesArmyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote