Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-22-2016, 06:31 AM   #1

Blinking GAS light on Fridge at elevation in 28BHBE

OK, I live in Salt Lake city at about 4500 feet, and I have a new 28 BHBE and I can run the refrig on gas at this elevation--the light stays on, but when I go camping at 10,000 feet elevation, the gas light blinks on and off and says check gas, but at the same time the water heater is on gas and it kicks on and heats, plus we can run the stove top gas burners to cook.

SO is the gas not actually working just for the fridge ?? Seems to work for everything else. What is the problem exactly or is the refrig still working with the gas and its just blinking due to low flow volume ....... please help with info.

PS -- I had the same issue with a previous TT , but ran the genies most of the time so it wasnt a big deal --now the same issue..... whats the problem if any ????

THANKS
russtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 06:42 AM   #2

Blinking light means the gas function didn't fire. After turning the propane bottles on my fridge always needs 3 or 4 on/off cycles on gas to purge, even if everything else is running. Second, check the burner area for problems, obstructions, igniter working, etc. Vacuum out that area behind the fridge.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:52 AM   #3

I don't know what fridge you have in that unit, but I know Norcold says in the owner's manual that the fridge burners might not operate above 5500 feet, and they recommend using electric power.
Rootus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 07:01 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnR View Post
Blinking light means the gas function didn't fire. After turning the propane bottles on my fridge always needs 3 or 4 on/off cycles on gas to purge, even if everything else is running. Second, check the burner area for problems, obstructions, igniter working, etc. Vacuum out that area behind the fridge.
Yup my fridge is picky too with air in the lines. Whenever I'm going to run on propane I run the burners on my stove for about 30 secs to purge the lines. Once the burners no longer flicker the air is out of the lines.
estesbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 12:04 PM   #5

The water heater and stove use a pretty good flow of gas. Altitude won't have as much impact on those large burners as it does on the tiny refer flame.

As others have said, the blinking light means the refer flame failed to light. I don't think it will retry after the light starts blinking. You could turn the refer to "OFF" then back to "AUTO" or "GAS" to reattempt ignition.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 06:36 AM   #6

Thanks for the replies.... I will try the purging of air with the stove burners and turn the refer on and off to try and get the small flame to light...

Thanks again peeps.
Old 08-26-2016, 04:35 PM   #7

I too am in Utah, and my trailer has never been below 5100 feet in elevation. I usually camp in Fishlake national forest so its probably between 8 and 10k'. I have not had a problem with the fridge running on gas at all. Its a Norcold N611. I'm wondering if its just because I have the air mix right or just luck. I've had the trailer since 2010 and never thought it was in issue until I came across a forum that said that Norcold says they might have a burner failure above 5500'.
DadRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 10:05 PM   #8

The problem is fixed with the purging of air by running the stove briefly, then recycling the on off switch , and has worked every time. Thanks for the advice all