Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-24-2017, 07:33 AM   #1

Question Blinking Lights

Hello everyone. I have a Jayco G2 32BH. I have had the trailer for about 8 years now I believe and it has been great with very little issues. Recently though we have had an issue with the power/lights blinking in and out after being hooked up to AC power for a few hours. I was thinking the inverter might be bad but after reading I think it might be due to a dead battery pulling too much power? I plan on replacing the battery either way but wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this issue?
JayJay88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 08:40 AM   #2
Site Team

Either pull your 30Amp main fuse by the battery or disconnect your battery's negative cable until you replace the battery. You do not want to fry your battery charge controller. See if that stops your problems...
Remember you can not tow the TT without a working battery, it is the law in most states.

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 09:05 AM   #3

Ok, now I am a little concerned. Tell me about this battery charge controller? The camper has been sitting since since this happened but we are planning a trip the first week of June (so coming up real soon). I have had it plugged up a good bit while cleaning and prepping for the trip. How would I know if the charge controller is messed up?
JayJay88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 09:27 AM   #4
Site Team

Disconnect the battery and leave the TT plugged in to shore power. Make sure the battery cable does not touch anything if you disconnect it. Mark your battery cables POSITIVE (99.99% of the time it is the BLACK cable and the NEGATIVE cable is WHITE (The negative cable (WHITE) should go directly to the TT frame. The POSITIVE (Black) cable should have a 30Amp inline fuse near the battery.

The reason you need to disconnect the battery, is because if it is a DEAD battery and it is not going to hold a charge, the controller is probably having too much of a load and is dropping off and retrying. Being 8 years old, it probably does not have a smart battery charge controller so it will continue to try and charge a dead battery... boiling it.

Disconnect the battery and run your shore power to see if the light problem goes away.

You need to let us know what the battery voltage is.

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 09:58 AM   #5

You can also get your battery load tested at any decent auto parts store for free. I've had batteries that showed 12+ volts but dropped to less than 6 under load. Voltage is *usually* a good indicator of battery life though.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote