Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-20-2013, 10:38 AM   #11
When we go to a new campground we always get an additional map and walk the grounds and mark the sites we would like for the future. Keep these in a binder and mark It Campgrounds and make notes on the maps like dates and weather. Great for planning in the winter when there is nothing else to do.

Have Fun!!!

tshirtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:04 PM   #12
I always camp somewhat near a water spigot because I don't like traveling long distances with my tanks full. A lot of times, the main water fill station can be very busy. I just park it, set it up and run the hose to the spigot and fill it up. I usually carry about 200 ft of hose. We do the same thing as tshirtman. During winter, we go and check out new places and log the best sites.

TCNASHVILLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:36 PM   #13
I prefer sites that back up to the woods and my kids like the ones that back up into a large green space, so they can throw a football. I don't think I would like an end pie shape site because I don't like being out there and visible from all sides. But, sometimes if the CG is full, you take what you can get. We spent 44 nights camping last year, in several CG's and I don't feel we had a bad site except for the one in Ludington SP, next to the lighthouse path. We left and went to another CG. Way too crowded and people actually parked their vehicles in our camper spot before we arrived and had to get the park rangers to find them at the lighthouse. They ended up getting tickets. Oops!
2012 Jayflight 32bhds
CruizinKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:13 PM   #14
Koodos to those rangers. It happens, some people have a lot of nerve. That's saying it nicely. I witnessed the same thing at a provincial park last year. Neighbour next to mine had a few visitors and one car parked in an elderly couples sight. My wife heard them say they won't be long.. Three ours later it was still there.
2012 Jayfeather 228
2012 F150 FX2 ecoscrew reg. tow pkg.
equalizer 1000# hitch
bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:40 PM   #15
One thing that I look for that I haven't seen mentioned is the direction that your awning faces. In the heat of the summer, I prefer the awning facing the morning sun. That way, in the heat of the afternoon, your TT will help to block the sun. Plus you can see the sun rise with your morning coffee. It is sorta funny how I came about this. One time when making reservations, the clerk asked me which I preferred. I asked why he asked, since I had never been asked before. He then pointed out what I stated at the beginning of this post. Him and I are on a first name basis now!
2012 Jayco 32 TSBH
Stored in Myrtle Beach/Surfside SC
2006 Tundra DC with tow package
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:51 PM   #16
Site Team
I like to back in to a site with a view or woods. We always book a unknown CG on an outside site.

We always check the site length and sometimes it is just a crap shoot till you get there.
2011 351RLTS Eagle, Mor/Ryde suspension & pin box
06 F350 Lariat PSD, SRW, LB, CC, EGR delete kit, 16K DrawTite hitch, Timbrens, TST TPMS

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:05 PM   #17
My wife was born in the US from Dutch parents. Both her younger siblings were born in The Netherlands. Her family wound up moving to the States in the 1960s, so they all are familiar with both U.S. and Dutch culture. Over the 28 years we've been married, I've learned to dread the word "gezellig." It comes into use when we go into restaurants, hotels, campgrounds, and many other places. There is no direct translation into English, either. So, my experience now dictates that when we go to a new place, the spousal unit scouts it first to find the spot that is "gezellig." Sometimes it takes a while, but I've learned over the years not to argue. This definitely applies to campgrounds, and since we're about to take delivery of a new White Hawk and begin RVing again, I'll be learning to be patient again. ... See this to get a sense of what I mean:

happy gezellig trails,

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD Crew Cab, long box, Duramax and 3.73, SRW
Equal-i-zer 1k WDH, 2013 White Hawk 27DSRL

Los Madrones, a little slice of Texas hill country heaven
mikmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:25 PM   #18
Booking camping site...what spot is the best?

We learned quickly that the sites we thought we liked were wrong for us.
We used to look for: quiet, secluded, lots of trees (including pine trees), near a stream.
Last year, was our first summer of RV'in and found out our mistake on the very first trip. It was a cool, damp weekend. The black flies were out and had breakfast, lunch and dinner on us and the dogs. Of course, they are worst near water!
The trees were a real obstacle to park in between, nothing like trees to learn baking in nice and straight in a hurry. Also learned to keep enough room for the slide.
We now look for these sites that I used to think were ugly.
Drivethrough and paved or level away from pine trees and their needles.
We do like the shade in the summer, but sun spring and fall.
We have no kids so try to stay away from play areas and pedestrian paths, the dogs like to bark
2013 Jayco Eagle HT 23.5
2010 Ram QC 1500 Hemi
Sheltie, Chihuahua and Terrier/Chihuahua rescue
Boubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:40 PM   #19
Thanks everyone we are so EXCITED!!!
Tbeuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:31 PM   #20
Agree with big bird, walk thru and write the numbers of the ones you like. We keep a small notebook of our favorite places listing spots in order from with our favorite on top. Also calling the cg directly will save you the online booking fee usually 6-10 dollars.....happy camping!

bayleightucker is offline   Reply With Quote