Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-19-2013, 05:58 PM   #1
Booking camping site...what spot is the best?

Hey everyone first time taking our new TT out to do some camping with the family! I saw that some sites are close to the water fill up stations. Would it be really noisy if I got a site across the way from the fill up station or should I stay far away from the fill up station? Your help is always greatly appreciated.

Tbeuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:04 PM   #2
This might be more information than you need or want, but I hope it helps.

There are a lot of personal choices. I personally do not like being to close to the bathroom house. There usually is a lot of lights on and noise all day and night. So I like to look for a site that is a few hundred feet away and does not look like someone will take the easy route to get there via cutting through my site. I also am not a big fan about being too close to a latrine. The ones in our state parks are very good, but other less popular locations at times can have a preferred odor that I do not want blowing towards my site.

The other main thing I look at is the curves in the drive isles, and this comes from my tenting days. I do not like having someone driving through at night and having their headlights aiming right at my site. So I prefer to be on the inside edge of a curve verses the outside edge.

Water spigots are ok, other than for the people washing their dishes at the spigots. They tend to be busier about 3 times a day.

I am not sure what your trailering experience is, but I will assume that it is very little. Here are a few recommendations. For the first few trips try find a site that is on your left side as you pull up to it. As you back in you will find that it is easier to use your driver’s side mirror and to look over your left shoulder. For the same reason I would look for a site where the drive isle curvature will not add potential complications. I also recommend pulling up to the site getting out with your assistant and talking through where you want the TT, look at any potential hazards and blind spots. Most of the places we go have gravel drive isles, so I scribe a line in the gravel (drive isle) with my heal, this is the point where I need the TT bumper past so I can start making my approach into the site. For the first few times backing in my biggest issue was not pulling far enough forwards, so I could make the bend when backing up. We do it will all non verbal commands, if my DW steps out of sight for more than just a few moments I stop, just in case she trips and falls, I really do not want to hit her or something else.

Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:12 PM   #3
Stay away from sites that have a designated pathway between them and stay away from sites that are next to any type of trailhead.
2006 23B Hybrid with 10k round bar WDH
2011 F150 4x4 SCREW Ecoboost, Max Tow, Integrated TBC, 3.73 LS axle, Firestone Ride Rite airbags.
mcfarmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:18 PM   #4
Just book sites and get out and use your TT. In just a few trips you will learn what you like. Every CG is different as is every site.
2007 Chevy Duramax LMM/Allison
2012 Jay Flight 29QBH
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:39 PM   #5
I would agree with Jagiven, try to stay away from the bath house, it's almost always busy. I'd also stay clear of the dump station. We do usually try to get close to a water spigot if possible, though this was more do our popup not holding much water, our 17Z holds about twice as much so that may change.
2013 Starcraft Travel Star 229TB
2011 Jayco X17Z(traded in)
2010 Jayco Jay Series 1207(traded for the 17Z)
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71 CC 6.0L/3.73
Reese "Pro Series" 800lb Trunnion WDH w/sway control
amabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:47 PM   #6
Depending how experienced you are you may want to start out by using a drive-thru site. That way you don't have to back in. You'll get experience backing up as you camp more.
Bill B. (S.E. Michigan)
2014 Keystone Cougar High Country 321RES (was 2007 Eagle 322FKS)
2007 Dodge Megacab CTD
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:22 AM   #7
If you're just starting out (or starting out with a bigger trailer), I wouldn't worry too much about most of the nit-picky things about sites. I would mostly worry about easy maneuverability and somewhat level. After that, just pick one that feels good and works for your setup. You learn quickly what works best for your rig.

Other than that, it's all about the view or being closest to whatever amenities matter the most to you (for us it's usually playground or field for the kids to play in)!
2012 Jay Flight 29QBH
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins H.O. 48RE
Equalizer 4-pt sway control hitch
Prodigy P2 brake controller
Honda EU1000i
12' Porta-bote
2006 Jayfeather 29Y (past Jayco :))
KachFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:55 AM   #8
I usually ask a member of the reservation office which are the most desirable sites/commonly requested if Im not familliar with the park. This usually nets you the ones with the best view, sunsets, shade, etc but always a good idea to do a quick drivethru the park before deciding and setting up.
*Currently trailer-less but shopping
07' GMC Envoy w/ P2 controller (current TV)
88' Chevy K5 Blazer (soon-to-be TV)
74' VW Superbeetle (1303)

exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:38 AM   #9
I totally agree with Clubhouse. Get that TT out there and enjoy!!!!!
You will learn where the good spots are or more manuevable spots, noisy spots, etc.
Happy camping!!!!!

2011 Jayco Flight G2 23FB
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 HD
1500Weight Distribution System, Accupower Pilot Brake Control, Sway Control, Husky Elec Jack
Moving Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:49 AM   #10
I try to avoid those sites also as mentioned so i will reserve my choices way ahead if i can. When we do camp there for the first time we try to take the time to walk through the park and write down the sites that look good in case we ever come back.

2012 Jayfeather 228
2012 F150 FX2 ecoscrew reg. tow pkg.
equalizer 1000# hitch
bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote