Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-06-2017, 07:50 PM   #1

brake controller

The tech that install brake controller told me that some times people ask for brake controller installation and not mount the controller under neath the dash board.
The controller would just be kept inside glove compartment with cable running freely, and be able to detach/attache controller at will.
As if it's like a phone and the charging cable.
I wonder why would anyone want to have brake controller like that ?
He didn't ask the customer why. So he does not know the answer.
Do any of you have a controller loose like that ? It is dangerous I think, what if the customer forget to attach the controller while towing ?
The only reasoning I can come up with is, maybe the customer just do not want to have holes visible in the the dashboard , such that by the time the vehicle is up for sale, there is no trace that brake controller has ever been installed.
The tech can install with mounting , or not mounting
pawntan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 08:25 PM   #2

Possibly better when it comes to resale. When I bought my preowned Ram truck, if it had a brake controller or showed any signs of being used as a TV, I didn't give it a second look.
tomnjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 08:42 PM   #3

I thought some controllers had to be mounted in a specific position ( I may be wrong on that). On my last truck I mounted it with strong velcro so I could remove it between trips. No screw holes under the dash... Just peeled it off before trading in.
klpoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 05:36 AM   #4
M&A

I very much like to have the manual control within easy reach. And now having switched to an inertial controller, seems having this type not firmly mounted would invite sudden unexpected braking.
M&A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 06:45 AM   #5

I've read in some places that a couple manufacturers (Toyota? GM?)put the pre-wire harness in the glove box for you to connect to.

The views expressed may not be mine in five minutes.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:33 AM   #6

When I installed my original Tekonsha Prodigy in the first two tow vehicles I owned -- my current F150 has a build-in factory controller -- the instructions specifically said that it can't be more than 70 degrees out of horizontal, and has to be in line with the vehicle's direction of travel. Plus, I also wanted the manual control within easy reach, so I mounted it by my right knee. So the idea of having it flopping around loose in the glove compartment and out of the way just doesn't make sense to me.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49° is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 09:26 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of 49° View Post
When I installed my original Tekonsha Prodigy in the first two tow vehicles I owned -- my current F150 has a build-in factory controller -- the instructions specifically said that it can't be more than 70 degrees out of horizontal, and has to be in line with the vehicle's direction of travel. Plus, I also wanted the manual control within easy reach, so I mounted it by my right knee. So the idea of having it flopping around loose in the glove compartment and out of the way just doesn't make sense to me.
Same here. The one we put in our Honda Ridgeline had to be within 15° of vertical, so installing it fixed at the bottom of the dash was the only practical possibility (unfortunately right where my knee wanted to go every time I got in the truck). It was still there when we traded the Honda for the F-150.

Now we have the factory controller in the F-150, so that's going to still be there whenever the truck goes to a new home, however long that may be.

2016 F-150 XLT 4x4 Super Crew 3.5L Ecoboost
2017 Jay Feather X213
RPreeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 11:15 AM   #8

Yeah, I can just imagine getting into a serious sway condition or blowing a tire, and having to accelerate the TV while quickly reaching over, popping open the glove box, and hitting the manual control to bring the trailer in line.

Yup, easier to let 'er flip and pick up the pieces later...

And why, to avoid two screw holes on the bottom lip of the dash? (Well okay, and a perma-dent in the right knee).
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 01:04 PM   #9

I popped the panel off the dash below the steering wheel (2006 F-150) and found a bolt close to the seam/opening and was able to fabricate a custom bracket to mount mine too, so I didn't have to drill holes. It was tight but once i got it in there it's super solid and I can disconnect it at will when not in use. I'll have to see if i can find pics.
Mudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 02:34 PM   #10

SWMBO absolutely would NOT permit drilling holes in her truck's dashboard to mount the brake controller!

Fortunately, there is a small storage bin above the pre-wired connector. So, when we towed with her Tacoma, the controller sat in the bin. Not towing, the controller was stowed in the glove box.

The F-350 has the brake controller permanently mounted just below the snowplow controller. Both easily manipulated with the right hand.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 10:11 AM   #11

Controller Bracket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudd View Post
I popped the panel off the dash below the steering wheel (2006 F-150) and found a bolt close to the seam/opening and was able to fabricate a custom bracket to mount mine too, so I didn't have to drill holes. It was tight but once i got it in there it's super solid and I can disconnect it at will when not in use. I'll have to see if i can find pics.
Here's a pic of the bracket I made for my controller. I own a 2006 F-150. If you pop the bottom panel off there is a bolt right there behind the seam, that you can attach things to. I took a piece of aluminum bar and bent it into a U shape and mounted the controller to that so I didn't have to damage the plastic.
Attached Thumbnails
bracket.jpg  
Mudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 06:23 PM   #12

Nice work.

The views expressed may not be mine in five minutes.
Old 02-12-2017, 07:08 PM   #13

My Prodgy P3 is mounted in the same place as Mudd has his. I used the included bracket and machine screws to mount it to the dash. I doubt that anyone would notice the screw holes if buying the truck. Since I intend to keep it until either it or I die, it is a non issue. You do need quick access to the breaking lever if your trailer starts to sway, so being in the glove compartment won't get the job done.
2010 Jayco JayFlight 26BH sold
Yamaha EF2000is Generators (2)
1996 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
Nighthawk 96 is offline   Reply With Quote