Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-23-2014, 08:08 PM   #1

Brand new 28bhbe slide out ripped floor

I am so not happy right now. Just wanted to vent. Since the dealer is closed. Band new 2015 jayco 28bhbe. Just picked it up last Friday. Had the slide in and out once. Tonight I opened slide to show my mom a brand new camper and there was a big rip in the vinyl floor. I also looked under the far right of the slide and seen a screw head sticking out! I'm anxiously waiting to call my dealer in the morning. Trying to upload pics from phone
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Brad1161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 08:10 PM   #2

The shinny thing in the middle of the pic is a screw head. Hard to get phone under slide out for a better pic.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 09-23-2014, 08:16 PM   #3

We are picking up a 2015 24FBS Saturday. I will have to check under our slide for screw heads sticking out. Keep us posted on how the dealer/Jayco takes care of this.
HD Trailering Package with Integrated Brake Controller

Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 05:11 AM   #4
Lost in the Woods

I am sure they will patch it up for you. If the dealership is a long ways away you could do it yourself after you fix the screw issue of course.

Unfortunately it may be tough to completely hide the patch but you shouldn't notice it
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 05:32 AM   #5

will let you know. Is this rare? a patch on a brand new camper?!? I better not be able to see it.
Old 09-24-2014, 05:51 AM   #6
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad1161 View Post
will let you know. Is this rare? a patch on a brand new camper?!? I better not be able to see it.
there isn't anything else they can do and yes you will probably see it if you look for it.

There is no way to replace the flooring in the trailer. It is run all underneath the walls and cabinets. You don't want all that stuff taken out. Just more issues in the future. besides they would never do it anyway.

it is an unfortunate situation but unlikely it will be perfect.

I personally would get the piece of vinyl from the dealer and have a flooring guy do it. I am sure the dealership doesn't have a clue how to lay flooring and do patches.. a qualified flooring guy would almost have it disappear
Old 09-24-2014, 10:51 AM   #7

Ugh. That sucks, sorry to hear. We noticed a few small staples/nails sticking up a tiny bit from the slide under the carpet, but nothing underneath like this. I'm surprised this wasn't discovered at pre-delivery inspection but maybe it was not sticking out as much or something.
kodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 11:08 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbhybrid View Post
there isn't anything else they can do and yes you will probably see it if you look for it.

There is no way to replace the flooring in the trailer. It is run all underneath the walls and cabinets. You don't want all that stuff taken out. Just more issues in the future. besides they would never do it anyway.

it is an unfortunate situation but unlikely it will be perfect.

I personally would get the piece of vinyl from the dealer and have a flooring guy do it. I am sure the dealership doesn't have a clue how to lay flooring and do patches.. a qualified flooring guy would almost have it disappear
X2
HD Trailering Package with Integrated Brake Controller

Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 03:48 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I don't know if Jayco would approve new flooring, but being that the TT is only a week old it doesn't hurt to try.

A few years ago Jayco replaced my flooring (moisture issue) and the process didn't involve taking any cabinets out. They just cut the old vinyl out along the edge of the cabinets, walls, etc.., and used it as a template for the new flooring. To finish it off they installed quuater round molding......, actually turned out pretty good.

But I do agree, if they are going to make any type of vinyl repair under warranty, I would want a qualified vinyl floor installer do it...., some of these guys can perform some real magic.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 04:58 PM   #10

I haven't heard anything yet. Sent pics. The dealer was to contact jayco today. A patch would be hard. The vinyl is not glued down. I will let you know what they decide to do.
Old 09-24-2014, 05:22 PM   #11
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
I haven't heard anything yet. Sent pics. The dealer was to contact jayco today. A patch would be hard. The vinyl is not glued down. I will let you know what they decide to do.
not glued down

weird...they must be using the cabinets and walls to hold it in place I guess.

they will have to glue down the repair. No other way to do it. Quarter round wouldn't hold it in place.
Old 09-24-2014, 06:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Also patches do not hold up well if you are in a cold climate. The seam usually seperates since it does not contract evenly with the rest of the flooring.
Old 09-24-2014, 07:19 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbhybrid View Post
not glued down

weird...they must be using the cabinets and walls to hold it in place I guess.

they will have to glue down the repair. No other way to do it. Quarter round wouldn't hold it in place.
Jayco has gone back and forth over the years from glued to not glued ......, I prefer not glued living in Michigan. There is less chance of the vinyl splitting from extreme cold temperatures because it's allowed to move. The vinyl flooring in my TT isn't glued down either.

In respect to the quarter round application in my TT, the quarter round has worked out just fine, no associated issues with the vinyl. On the opposite side of the TT the vinyl is attached to the floor via the tacked carpet metal trim piece.

In the 7 years since the new vinyl was installed not one issue to report.

Happy camper here!

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 07:59 PM   #14

I think I would feel about the same way you do if I had purchased a new trailer and right off the bat had to accept a repaired floor. You should not have to accept anything less than brand new appearance. That's what you paid for. I'm interested to know how Jayco takes care of this problem. Please keep us updated.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:16 PM   #15

This is the email I got today from my dealer.

We got the pics, Brad. We will be forwarding pics to Jayco today along with an
authorization request to do warranty repairs.
We will be in touch soon. So sorry this happened--be assured that Jayco
will make it right.
Old 09-24-2014, 10:30 PM   #16

Sounds like a good start. I recently had vinyl placed in two rooms in my house. The man that installed it was a professional and he did an excellent job. He preferred the adhesive for all vinyls because there is less chance of the material buckling. They can replace the entire floor in one piece cutting to the cabinets and walls. Insist on all new floor installed by a professional with adhesive. It may be even be better than a factory job.
Old 09-24-2014, 10:52 PM   #17

I had the same thing happen to my Mobile Suite back in 2004 while down in Cancun. It was caused by a slide support bending over when putting the slide out.
Took it back to the factory and they took out the slide, put rollers on it, removed all of the vinyl and carpeting and replaced it with new. Rig was only 4 mo. old.
1st class company.
Old 09-25-2014, 04:26 AM   #18

If your dealer offers you no support. Call the factory in Middlebury, Ind. We received excellent service from them. They really cared.
michigancampermcsmrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 04:11 PM   #19

This is the email I got today from the dealer. Also a pic of the damn screw. Hi Brad,

We had Angelo Augustine from Biviano Flooring out today to give us an estimate on repairing your tile.
He will be e-mailing us an estimate that we can forward to Jayco.
He told us that we need to order 9’ of linoleum so we are sure to get the section of lino we need.
Biviano’s repair will not require any trim or molding to be used.

I will be in touch when I know more.
Old 09-26-2014, 04:14 PM   #20

This screw can be seen when slide is open from the outside
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg