Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-25-2017, 07:31 PM   #1

breckenridge-leadville Colorado

Has anyone pull trailer to get to Breckenridge-leadville-Aspen colorado area around mid March ?
How is the road to get there ? is it fairly safe to pull RV in around that area, assuming we do not venture out to unpaved road, and stay at state highway.
We are planning to take i-70 and then highway 91, from Denver.
The owner of the RV park said no problem, road is kept clear from snow in Colorado.
I am pulling jay flight 154BH with Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4
pawntan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 07:41 PM   #2

Don't know how you plan to get from 91 to Breckenridge but I did I-70 to Leadville via 91 last August (I think it was August maybe September) with no problems. Fremont pass is pretty steep north to south and in some parts I was in 1st gear going 10MPH but I made it just fine. I have no idea what you might run into as far as snow is concerned.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 07:59 PM   #3

ok thanks, maybe not necessarilly Breckenridge-Leadville, but in general how was the drive with travel trailer mid march toward Colorado mountain town ?
Has anyone done it ?
Old 02-26-2017, 07:45 AM   #4

After living 10 plus years in Breckenridge and traveling I-70 and driving over all the Colorado mountain passes, as long as it does not snow you will be fine. The Colorado mountains can receive a lot of snow in March and April the storms can dump a lot of snow in a short period of time. That being said the roads are well maintained and with a little sun the roads clear up very fast. If you are okay with the possibility of towing your rig on snow packed roads you will be fine. Just watch the weather forecasts and be prepared. March is a can be a very snowy month. I-70 and Colorado 91 are well traveled and maintained very well in the winter.
thevettemanx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 05:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevettemanx2 View Post
After living 10 plus years in Breckenridge and traveling I-70 and driving over all the Colorado mountain passes, as long as it does not snow you will be fine. The Colorado mountains can receive a lot of snow in March and April the storms can dump a lot of snow in a short period of time. That being said the roads are well maintained and with a little sun the roads clear up very fast. If you are okay with the possibility of towing your rig on snow packed roads you will be fine. Just watch the weather forecasts and be prepared. March is a can be a very snowy month. I-70 and Colorado 91 are well traveled and maintained very well in the winter.
Thank you!!
Old 02-26-2017, 11:07 PM   #6

What vettemanx2 said is spot on. We just left Colorado after 19 years@ 9000' elevation about 60 miles from Breckenridge. I've pulled our 36 footer over Hoosier Pass and down into Breckenridge in the winter. The weather can do a 180 in a very short time and it can be unforgiving.. If you encounter conditions that make you uncomfortable, please wait it out. I'm pretty experienced and have stopped a few times.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 01:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post
What vettemanx2 said is spot on. We just left Colorado after 19 years@ 9000' elevation about 60 miles from Breckenridge. I've pulled our 36 footer over Hoosier Pass and down into Breckenridge in the winter. The weather can do a 180 in a very short time and it can be unforgiving.. If you encounter conditions that make you uncomfortable, please wait it out. I'm pretty experienced and have stopped a few times.
Cekk,
Do you know of any campground/RV park that I can see mountain peak right off my RV window ? I just want to relax on my RV porch and being able to see mountain as if right off my backyard
Kind of like the attached picture
Attached Thumbnails
peak.jpg  
Old 02-28-2017, 05:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawntan View Post
Cekk,
Do you know of any campground/RV park that I can see mountain peak right off my RV window ? I just want to relax on my RV porch and being able to see mountain as if right off my backyard
Kind of like the attached picture
We've not camped along I-70 but once, and that was in Grand Junction, on the west end. But if you are near Leadville, I'd be surprised if you could find a campground that didn't offer a great view. It's 34 miles south on US 24 from Leadville, one of my all time favorite towns, to Buena Vista, where we have stayed. Buena is at the foot of the Collegiate Peaks, a whole string of 14,000+' mountains, we call fourteeners, named after Ivy League schools. While the town is no great shakes, it sports a beautiful 360 view. There are a few RV campgrounds mostly on the north end of town. I would recommend the KOA a bit to the southeast of town with the proviso I haven't been there for several years.

Not pushing BV, but it would take you through Leadville, the highest incorporated city in the US (there's a reason for that descriptor) and the home of the Matchless Mine, where Baby Doe Tabor's (see Unsinkable Molly Brown) story of rags to riches to rags can be heard. I find the town fascinating and well worth a few hours on the way south of I-70 (into what many of us think of as the real Colorado).

I'd suggest spending some time on campgroundreviews.com for a more direct answer to your question.

Hope that helps. And have a great time in my former long time home!
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote