Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-06-2015, 05:32 AM   #11
Originally Posted by jkochmit1 View Post
lol if you go the dog crate in the bed route make sure you take measures to cleverly conceal him from the all the busy body do-gooders and animal rights wackos out there, surely they will file a police complaint (from my experience).
Come on now, how many times have you seen "Wingnut" driving down the road with the dog in the back and just loose. We're not animal rights wackos or busy body do- gooders were just worried about the safety and well being of these animals. If you saw something wrong wouldn't you report it or ask questions or would you just look the other way.

Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 05:55 AM   #12
The back seat of my '13 F-150 SuperCrew is massive. I have had 3 adults seated back there along with our 90lb Rotti who is quite happy laying on the floor or sitting with his head over the center console. There is literally tons of room back there.

That being said, if I didn't have a living room for a back seat I would put a cap on the back of the truck with side windows that open for airflow and transport the pooch in a secured crate back there.

Don't ever give up on your dog. They are just as much a part of your family as kids are, and going camping is something they love to be a part of. This is one of the reasons we enjoy camping so much too - fun for the WHOLE family.

SkyBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 06:25 AM   #13
I'm with Tunce on this one! I've seen way too many unrestrained dogs sliding around in the open backs of pick-ups. It makes me wince every time I see it. A sudden stop could slide the dog into the front wall of the bed. And a quick turn could send it hurdling over the side wall. However, I, too, know many hunters who safely confine their dogs to dog boxes or crates in the bed of a truck. You can purchase cargo bars for $20 (or less) at most hardware stores, to prevent the crate from sliding front-to-back. Some ratchet straps should keep it from sliding side-to-side. I like the idea of a cover and securing the kennel at the front of the box (right behind the cab) to minimize wind and possible injury from road debris. Just don't travel during the heat of the day, try to park in the shade, and make sure the pup is well hydrated at every stop. Under no circumstances would I put a dog in a trailer - either loose or in a crate. Too many times, I've opened my trailer door to find items (I thought were secure) lying strewn about on the floor . . . sometimes broken. I wouldn't subject a family member to that - including the family dog!
2013 Eagle 266RKS
2011 Ford F-150 w/3.5L Ecoboost & H.D. Tow Package
Brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 08:43 AM   #14
Several years ago a lady turned in front of me and I hit the back end of her truck hard enough to roll it over. She had a small dog in the bed and it was ejected but somehow escaped injury. As I pulled the lady and her 5 year old daughter from her truck, several people had to run down a busy highway to try to catch the dog...the dog was luck it didn't get hit by a car.
2013 26BH ghetto model w/ 4 plain rims and some rust
2001 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 gasser

I have a fever...and the only cure is more camping!
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 08:53 AM   #15
Originally Posted by MommieMara View Post
Those that have a crate in the bed of the truck how do you secure it? Since ours is a hard shell airline carrier crate I was thinking a few ratchet straps if we tried that. I know those secure pretty much anything so it will not move.
I have seen a number of ways it is done. With a plastic crate, they will flex more than a metal crate. So I would make sure I would use at least one if not two ratchet straps over the top and through the handle. This way if the crate flexes the handle will make sure the kennel does not slide. Then I would look at the crate and see if there is any other good tie down points. I bet you could buy some web strapping material and make a couple of loops, punch a hole (hot nail) for a bolt and then take it apart the crate at the seam, secure the new loops with the bolts used to hold the crate together, probably should use a fender washer to ensure the bolt head can not pull through the web strap. Put one or two on each side and again use some ratchet straps or even a good rope and tie it to your tie downs in the bed of the truck.

I like to use a minimum of three straps, just incase one does not hold properly.

Here is an image of a similar setup inside the hood of a car to tie down canoes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Canoe tie down Straps.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	16642
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 06:32 PM   #16
I would never consider letting out 100# black lab ride in the trailer.

He rides in back seat of truck. If the truck were to be full I would put him in a crate in the bed. I have a cap on my truck with screened windows.
2012 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Litre DoubleCab
6 speed, 4.30 Limited Slip, Tow Package
2013 Jayco White Hawk 27DSRL
2010 Jayco JayFlight 26BH sold
Yamaha EF2000is Generators (2)
1996 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
Nighthawk 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 07:05 PM   #17
I'm with Nighthawk on this one. I have two 80lb Labs, they ride on the back seat. No way would I ever let them ride in the trailer. If there wasn't room in the truck I would use a crate in the bed, well secured and with suitable shelter From the elements, especially the Sun.
Save up for a cap. I love mine. If dogs weren't spoiled
Rotten that's were they'd Ride.
Doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 07:50 PM   #18
How mush longer till I get to the beach!!! Tunce has the complete back of the SUV to stretch out but she'll look out the window much of the way.
Attached Thumbnails

Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote