Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-12-2014, 12:52 PM   #21
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldermike View Post
As an OTR truck driver I can tell you that I have had to have lug nuts and lugs cut off with a torch more than once because anti-seize was not used. After going through this exercise several times I am convinced that using anti-seize is better than not. I have never had one problem since using it. Not one. And I think it is funny that I have never heard of anyone who uses anti-seize having one either. But the opposite is not true. Many people have had to have lugs and lug nuts cut off. I have worked for quite a number of trucking companies and I think most of them use it. It makes life a whole lot easier. I think anything I can do to make my life easier I'm all for. Try it you like it! Anyone who hasn't needs to reconsider. Once you do you will never go back.
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 01:18 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwsmith111 View Post
As an OTR truck driver I can tell you that I have had to have lug nuts and lugs cut off with a torch more than once because anti-seize was not used. After going through this exercise several times I am convinced that using anti-seize is better than not. I have never had one problem since using it. Not one. And I think it is funny that I have never heard of anyone who uses anti-seize having one either. But the opposite is not true. Many people have had to have lugs and lug nuts cut off. I have worked for quite a number of trucking companies and I think most of them use it. It makes life a whole lot easier. I think anything I can do to make my life easier I'm all for. Try it you like it! Anyone who hasn't needs to reconsider. Once you do you will never go back.
I hear you, however, if I were you I would find someone (a manufacturer) who makes wheels and lug nuts that states this as a proper method of service. We live in a world where not following the instructions can cost you everything. I don't agree with this worlds ways but they exist all the same.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 02:23 PM   #23

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Seems some members in this tread getting to be a little excited about the lubricating of lugs. Why mfg's don't mentioning lubricant on the lugs is because they all deliver with the dry method and I am sure also as a safety concern (they cover themselves). Practical in the field many will use a lubricant, special if you live in an area where they use lots of salt during the winter season. The torque specs are for the dry method, but if you lubricate use about 10 to 15 lbs less on every 100 lbs of torque (there is probably an engineering spec. on that). Everyone has an opinion about this subject. Just use the info and method you agree with. I am sure people way in the south where they don't use salt on the roads during the winter season, would never have a lug seized. I use anti-seize lubricant for 55 years and never have a lug nut come loose. Over torque will do more damage to the lug and lug nut than using the anti-seize. There is a saying: "Experience is an asset". Good luck with the option of your choice and travel safe!
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 05:46 PM   #24

Hey wwsmith, never had to cut a lug off we change our own tires every 6 months. I personally don't like that crap flinging all over my polished wheels. I also keep my stuff immaculately clean.
chrisb is offline   Reply With Quote