Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-24-2017, 11:29 PM   #1

Buffing countertops??

What is the best process for buffing out the scuff and scratch marks out of the countertops? I heard this could be done with the tops that came in my 2016 25BHS.

Thanks in advance!!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0695.jpg  
Dropnaduece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 12:22 AM   #2

Care & Maintenance | HI-MACS® | A New Generation of Inspiration

That will give you the basic information to sand to a satin finish. Your top appears to be a higher sheen and will require sanding with a higher grit sand paper, perhaps up to 600 grit, followed by polishing with a slow speed (300 rmp +-) buffer with polishing compound. On a dark color top it's not the easiest to blend in and achieve a good finish. You may want to look up for Solid Surface fabricators in your local area. Your tops are most likely Hi Macs by LG but all solid surface will finish similarly. You can find fabricators at the LG Hi Macs website. Good luck.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 12:29 AM   #3

http://www.avonite.com/wp-content/up...ev-1-19-17.pdf

Look for 2.12 it will give you better instructions to acheive a higher gloss finish.

Old 02-25-2017, 01:17 AM   #4

Well thank you for the help but it appears that having a dark color and a polished finish is not recommended in high traffic areas because it scuffs easy. Plus it's hard to get that finish so for a amateur like me it would probably be best to find someone to do it for me and possibly make it a matte finish.

I love the look of the tops but it doesn't take much to put a scratch in the finish Does anyone have the same countertops as mine that came with a matte finish? Or does Jayco put out different finishes based on what someone orders? The reason I ask is that someone custom ordered the trailer and the deal fell through and I ended up buying it off the lot. So I didn't get the chance to make an order like others have done cause we fell in love with this trailer right on the lot.

Thanks again for the help!
Old 02-25-2017, 08:41 AM   #5

Putting a matt finish itself is not difficult if you don't have deep scratches that need to be removed. You sand to get the scratches out and then finish with a burgundy scotchbrite pad. If you have someone renew the counters I would suggest a satin finish, it will look better and is also easy to care for.

I'm not sure if they have different finishes, but, satin or gloss looks better especially on a darker color, the top will have more depth.

Check your dishes for rough edges on the bottom, earthenware is notorious for unpolished bottoms and causing scratches.

For others, I would suggest lighter colors as they show scratches much less. I could go into detail why, but, that would even put me to sleep It has to do with the chemical make up of the material.

It should be fairly easy to find someone to renew your tops, I did it often when I had my shop and was fabricating.

Good Luck.

Old 02-25-2017, 09:45 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropnaduece View Post
What is the best process for buffing out the scuff and scratch marks out of the countertops? I heard this could be done with the tops that came in my 2016 25BHS.

Thanks in advance!!
I have used a buffer and car wax on our cultured marble top in our house bathroom.They came out really nice. Anything on Utube? Don't suppose the factory has any suggestions!Can you let us know what you find out, we have same tops? Happy Trails
Attached Thumbnails
Sunset 2-17.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 09:50 AM   #7

Waggs99 thank you for your service!
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 01:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreinv View Post
I have used a buffer and car wax on our cultured marble top in our house bathroom.They came out really nice. Anything on Utube? Don't suppose the factory has any suggestions!Can you let us know what you find out, we have same tops? Happy Trails
If you look at the above links, especially the avonite one, you will see the procedures necessary to refinish a solid surface counter. Your cultured marble tops are made completely different. They have a gel coat over the top of the "cultured marble" which is what you were polishing. Cultured marble is calcium carbonate and polyester resin with the gel coat over it. The solid surface is acrylic with alumina trihydrate (ATH)) as the filler. ATH is white and hence, when it scratches you will see the white "line". If you try buffing it using anything but a low speed (about 300 rmp) buffer you chance "burning" the surface which will then cause a haze. The haze is actually a water molecule which is locked in the ATH. You then may have to sand deeper to remove this haze. Besides being a fabricator for over 40 years, before I retired I taught fabrication techniques.

If you follow the directions, and not take any short cuts you can renew your counters. Or, you can call a certified fabricator and they can do it for you. A dark color is the most difficult to renew because of the aforesaid ATH issue. If you need more information please just PM me and I'll be happy to assist you however I can. Good luck !

Old 02-25-2017, 08:18 PM   #9

Thanks for the insight! I'm going to call around and see if we have anyone local that take a look at them. They are not real bad yet but I can see soon after this next season it will start to look a little rough.