Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-12-2017, 07:38 PM   #1

bumper bike rack void warranty?

We just brought home our Jayflight 32BHDS. While doing out walk through, my husband mentioned that we have a 4 bike Swagman bike rack that mounts to the bumper. He mentioned at if we do that, it will void the warranty on the bumper. Has anyone heard this? If so, what are some other options for our bikes. When we went in the parts department, they were selling the same bike rack we own. We love this bike rack, but don;t want to void our warranty.
tmclaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 08:35 PM   #2

Not sure about the warranty but everything I've read here and other places, and been told by the dealer, is that the bumper on a trailer is not designed to handle the stresses and load for a rack. Not sure about yours. Jayco should be able to tell you. A lot of bouncing and swaying goes on back there. My spare is mounted on the bumper so does make you wonder a bit since it weighs more or as much as a bike but, it's a different load and fixed in place to the side. They make rack mounts and receivers that attach to the frame that you can purchase.
suzhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 08:41 PM   #3

Pretty much all warranties work like this.

If you attach a bike rack to the bumper and it rips the bumper off and damages the frame in the process would you try and claim it as a warranty issue? If so expect it to be denied. It isn't designed to take stresses like this. Maybe they will let it slide but consider yourself lucky if they do or just deal with it on your own and weld on a new bumper.

If you attach a bike rack and your refrigerator dies. Well they would have a hard time claiming that the bike rack caused the fridge to die. So it won't void the entire warranty but I wouldn't expect them to cover things like a bumper when it isn't designed to do this.

So is all lost? Not necessarily. For some campers there are optional receiver hitches that can be attached to the frame. Some are even Jayco options and can be installed by the dealer and it will not void the warranty. I don't know that it is an option for your camper though. It isn't for mine. Many of the Jaycos have an optional A Frame bike rack. The bike rack connects near the tongue jack and stores the bikes up above the propane tanks. That is an option as it is much stronger than the bumper location but it would mean a new bike rack system.

The problem with the bumper is that as your trailer bounces down the road it is a lot of stress on the bumper.
Old 04-12-2017, 09:25 PM   #4

On my 26BH, I had the original bumper cut off and a 3/16 steel bumper welded on with extra supports. Even had a receiver put thru the center. We carried 5 bikes back there . Oh yeah, we also had a Piece of steel with a 1/2 inch hole in it to tie a strap to help support the arms holding the bikes. See attached photos below.
Now, out 28BHBE has a receiver (Called a
Cargo Accessory Receiver) which is bolted to the frame. We still use the straps to help support the arms holding the 5 bikes. Works good.
Attached Thumbnails
2013-06-28 18.50.24.jpg   Finished.jpg  

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 09:46 PM   #5

I'm with RAurand, and have done similar before. Most every towable we've owned I've cut off the stock and put my own fabricated stuff on there, that way I have the trust factor. On our present rig, it had the receiver hitch already installed, but I still redid all of the welds on the brackets and replaced the bolts. We haul a generator on it, but wouldn't hesitate hauling numerous bikes in its place. The stock bumper is pretty much nothing, useless. I wouldn't even trust a spare tire on it. It's thin, weak, and will tear or crack a weld if anything is put on it. Think dynamic load, as in bouncing.

Only alternatives I can think of, is have something fabricated to fit your needs, or kind of split it. Fabricate something for the back to hold a couple of bikes, and do an A-frame set up for a couple of more. And then there are more ideas, like an over the truck bed rack, like I'm considering building to accomodate 5 bikes. I need / want my generator, so I have to think outside the box a little.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 10:48 PM   #6

I will be trying my luck with SafetyStruts

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 10:53 PM   #7

I've seen those. I can't really form an opinion on them. Band-Aid comes to mind, but if it works, hey, ok. Man I wish a few lived closer to our shop. I'd fabricate anything you'd like, for probably way cheaper than you could buy something half as good.
Old 04-12-2017, 11:43 PM   #8

If I had a trusted shop in the neighborhood, I would get something fabricated. This thing I can install myself... no appointments, no hassle with inflated fees, etc.
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 05:25 AM   #9

T,

Congrats on an awesome Jayco model!!!

As mentioned, good chance over time the bumper would eventually fail. So why take the chance.

On a brighter note, Jayco is/was offering a frame mounted receiver cargo hitch for the 32. Look at the rear of the frame near the bumper for a tab welded to the bottom of the frame. Two options, either have you dealer order the hitch and: have it delivered inside a trailer to the dealer if you can wait or possibly pay s/h to your house. Or have a local hitch/ weld shop fabricate one similar to the factory option so it still bolts to the frame mounted tabs.

If you follow my signature link for our 32 Mods I posted pics of the factory Jayco cargo hitch I added after we bought the tt. Ordered it before we actually took delivery and mounted it myself with grade 8 bolts (1/2" I think they are).

The bumper can handle the spare tire, but not much else. Part of the reason is the tire is mounted more vertical vs a bike rack that has leverage hanging out the rear, causing a bumper mounted hitch to try to twist the frame due to the bike rack leverage.

I did buy one of the u-bolt anti rattle hitch kits to keep the bike rack from bouncing in the receiver hitch. Consider one also as the less movement the better.

On a side note, did the dealer set you up with the correct rated wd bars? The 32 really needs 1400lb or 1500lb rated wd bars. With a " rochure" hitch/tongue Wright (tw) of ~950, add in ~160lbs for the 2-30lb propane tanks and a battery, and you're already at ~1100lbs tw before loading the trailer for a trip. If you have 1200lb bars or less, MAKE the dealer exchange them. To many times we read/ hear of some dealers not getting fellow members the correct rated wdh. Though it seems some are getting better.

Also recheck the wdh adjustment once the 32 is loaded up and all read for a trip. Dealers only set up the hitch to an empty rig. Though some get close for when the tt is loaded. Can't hurt to double check.

Good luck and safe travels!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 09:16 AM   #10
Site Team

I made my own bike rack mount.. attached it to the cross member between the rear frame and just to stabilize it I attached it to the rear bumper. Going on 5 years... holds 2 bikes.... no issues so far.

Attached are the plans I drew up, you may be able to use them. I picked up the receiver on Amazon

It was then sand blasted and repainted.... was going to have it powder coated, but that is still on my list of TO-DO

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Attached Thumbnails
Bike Rack - Bracket Drawing.jpg   Bike Rack - Bracket - 1.jpg  
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 05:48 PM   #11

It's not cheap but we paid the $500 to have a 2" receiver welded to the frame for a solid bike rack. Don't want to rely on a few welds on the bumper to hold our bikes when each bike costs $7-800 a piece times 4.
Dropnaduece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 06:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropnaduece View Post
It's not cheap but we paid the $500 to have a 2" receiver welded to the frame for a solid bike rack. Don't want to rely on a few welds on the bumper to hold our bikes when each bike costs $7-800 a piece times 4.
That isn't a bad price. If you look at my post above with the photos of the bumper I had fabricated. It cost me $500 and it was a friend that did it for me. I did however use a strap to help support those long arms holding 5 bikes. But it all worked well for 3 years on the 26BH.
Bow, my 28BHBE has the Cargo Accessory holder (Receiver hitch) welded to the frame of the 28BHBE and YES, I still use the straps.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 06:43 PM   #13

Geez I guess I need to live closer to everybody else. I've built several and material cost is a very small fraction of $500.
Old 04-13-2017, 06:51 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmclaren View Post
We just brought home our Jayflight 32BHDS. While doing out walk through, my husband mentioned that we have a 4 bike Swagman bike rack that mounts to the bumper. He mentioned at if we do that, it will void the warranty on the bumper. Has anyone heard this? If so, what are some other options for our bikes. When we went in the parts department, they were selling the same bike rack we own. We love this bike rack, but don;t want to void our warranty.
If this is a new TT, you can get the factory receiver hitch and bolt it to the frame mounts that are already there.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 07:17 PM   #15

Just do yourself a favor if utilizing the factory mounts, and inspect the welds and use good judgement. On mine, there were only 3 small stitch welds on each bracket. I did solid welds the length of the brackets as I don't trust LCI welds.