Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-27-2014, 07:36 PM   #1

Lightbulb Burning smell when AC is on

2014 26 RLS Jayco travel trailer anyone ever experience this or know what we should do
Motoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 07:45 PM   #2
Site Team

Burning smell[emoji33] back to the dealer!!!

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
WVDusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 07:55 PM   #3

Look inside the circuit breaker section of the power supply unit.

I had a similar issue with our previous trailer. It turned out to be a short inside the breaker box. Multiple wires had insulation melted and even one wire the copper conducter was melted in two!! I came scarey close to a fire.

If it's still under warranty, get it back to the dealer ASAP for sure.

2016 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5 FBDS w/ 15,000 BTU AC, 50 amp service, upgraded counter top, thermal pane windows, elec. stab jacks, outside grill, backup camera and MORryde pin box.
2011 GMC 2500HD DURAMAX/ ALLISON
Tail_gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 08:32 PM   #4

Anyone know where the iota is located?
Motoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 12:17 PM   #5

You know, this is going to sound dumb, but is it wood burning smell, or electrical burning smell. If there is a leak between the gasket and roof and there is a campfire going near by, maybe you are getting the smell from that when the air is on?
If its an electrical smell near the breaker box, you could have issues there. I would pin point where exactly the smell is the strongest and start there.
On occasion, new electrical parts will give an unpleasant oder while burning off any protective coating (oil) on the first few runs. Im not sure how worried I would be about it, I would just keep a close eye on it for the first few cycles and then if the problem is still there, bring it in and have it looked at.

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Plowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 06:24 PM   #6

Do you have adequate voltage at your site to run the AC?
Old 05-30-2014, 03:28 PM   #7

How long have you run the heater? Let me tell you a quick story about this past weekend with our new trailer.

2am - smoke detector goes off. I jump out of bed, still mostly asleep. Smell a burning dusty smell. Instead of trying to get everyone out, I am concentrating on getting the battery out of the smoke detector. Now, I know, I should have been concentrating on getting everyone out - next time I hope. Much reflecting after the fact.

So, what was it? I think it was just dust in the heater and in the vents. I had only turned on the heater one time at the dealer for just a few minutes - I was in a hurry to get home and didn't take enough time as I should have testing.

I stayed up for a couple more hours with my eyes wide open and my nose on smell patrol. After a few more cycles of the heater, the smell subsided and I was able to get a couple more hours of sleep. I slept in that morning. I plugged in the battery to the smoke detector in the morning and didn't have any other issues with smell or the smoke detector the next couple of days.

I would like to ask you how long you have run the heater? I see you have a 2014 like myself.
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote