Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-01-2012, 06:18 PM   #1

Buying a 2011 Skylark

I'm picking up a 2011 Skylark FKV this weekend. Any Skylark owners out there that can give me some hints and advice?
Zilbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:31 PM   #2
Site Team

Welcome to the forum!
Some of our members with the Skylark have discussed some WD hitch concerns in past threads. The Skylark line also seems to have been discontinued as it is no longer showing up on Jayco`s website. You may try sending a PM to some of the members in the links for more info about them as we do not seem to have many Skylark owning members, according to this poll:http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...-Poll-for-2012

Skylark WD Hitch discussion threads:
http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...=skylark+hitch
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:55 PM   #3

Congratulations on the new trailer, and happy camping.

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:00 AM   #4

I have had a Skylark for two years now, love it, the build quality is great, no issues, the design and quality of material is what sold me, windows rock!!! Kitchen layout seems much larger than most 30+ trailers have, cabinets and prep space also. Its a tiny big trailer!!! Changes we have made, its low, raised it 4inch, the tanks when dry camping small... and no option for bike rack on rear, now I know its a light trailer and hardly any room for more cargo but still would have been nice.

oohhh and would have optioned for the AC unit on top, although the heat pumps does do the trick, over 35 degrees its on all the time and loud.

keep in mind, the category this trailer was in, its the best on the market! for what you get. I classed it in the tent trailer/slash sardine can, type small trailers market.
Skylerker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:28 PM   #5

Have been travelling with my Skylark now for two years and approximately 20K miles. Love the trailer, and agree with Skylerker. I did order mine with the furnace and on roof air conditioner. Some of the mods I did do was to install a shore plug for electrical. My cord was stored under the couch and seemed to get tangled every time I used it. Power jack in front is a good option also. Both wife and I are very comfortable in this trailer. Have not found any handicaps yet. Extra weight I carry in the truck. Good luck, hope you enjoy it as much as we do ours. Happy trailering!
rog4kneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:04 PM   #6

Send a message via MSN to 2008jeep
Remember that the batteries need charging, because they do not charge just because they have the A/C power connected. You need to keep a charger and charge them off and on if your on the road a long time. Take a close look at the door hinges as they are really over engineered and will have a poping sound and you might end up with attaching screws loose. I take a piece of nylon screen material to keep on hand to cut off a tiny piece and put it in the screw hole to keep from pulling the wood screw threads loose. We really enjoy ours and have about 7K miles so far and for two people its great. Add a small dog and it gets tighter, but three people and you really have to like each others company.
2008jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 12:00 PM   #7

My wife and I just completed our second 2.5K mile cross-country journey in our Skylark 21 FKV. I agree with rog4kneer - the power cord arrangement has got to go! It is set to be replaced with a detachable shore power cable (probably go with ParkPower by Marinco). Also, the hand-crank jack will be replaced with an electric jack. After our first trip, we added a Reese RP66151 weight distribution/sway control hitch. It definitely made a noticeable difference in the trailer handling!

Happy RV'ing!
guzzishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 03:35 PM   #8

We've had our 2011 Skylark for 2-1/2 years and have camped lots of places. We tow it with a 2012 Honda Pilot. We added a Reese sway control because there is a slight oscillation at 60-65 mph and you get a lot of push from big rigs when they pass you with out it. We've towed it over 3,000 miles (see map below) and have a 2800 mile trip planned.

We love our trailer as it has plenty of storage. Contrary to what 2008Jeep says, the battery on ours does charge when it is plugged in. There are two black wires that connect to the battery and one of them is from the charger. I disconnect the battery when we are not using the trailer as the red LED indicator lights and stereo will gradually deplete the battery if you leave it connected.

Under the seat by the bed, there is additional storage that can easily be accessed by putting a hinge in the plywood cover. We use it to store the dog food and hand vac. I added a light to the storage area using one of the four empty fused circuits in the 12 volt panel and upgraded the bulb in the out door light to a very bright LED replacement light panel available form Camping World.

We find that KIS Clear Omni 20-Pack Accessory Boxes work well for storing clothes in the upper cabinets. They will stack 2 high.

The awning arms can be head knockers, so we purchased some hot air balloon wind spinners to hook on them when the awning is extended to prevent bashing of heads.
Old 04-01-2016, 10:46 PM   #9

We just bought a 2011 Skylark 21FKV and are taking it out for the first time tomorrow. Still learning how to use everything...previous owner hardly used it so have much maintenance to catch up with. Fun fun fun!
skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 04:08 AM   #10

Power inverter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008jeep View Post
Remember that the batteries need charging, because they do not charge just because they have the A/C power connected. You need to keep a charger and charge them off and on if your on the road a long time. Take a close look at the door hinges as they are really over engineered and will have a poping sound and you might end up with attaching screws loose. I take a piece of nylon screen material to keep on hand to cut off a tiny piece and put it in the screw hole to keep from pulling the wood screw threads loose. We really enjoy ours and have about 7K miles so far and for two people its great. Add a small dog and it gets tighter, but three people and you really have to like each others company.
Actually, there is a power converter to supply all the 12-volt loads and keep the battery charged whenever the AC power is connected. There should be no need to charge your battery, except when you're dry camping.
guzzishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 01:30 PM   #11

skylark towing

I purchased the stabilizer towing hitch that was recommended. Love it. I no longer have any sway when trucks go by or heavy traffic. its a reese #66155 more than worth the cost. 2008Jeep on this site has pictures of it.
dedintsch is offline   Reply With Quote