Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-12-2016, 01:30 PM   #1

Bypassing water heater in new SLX

I have found the documentation on my 2017 Jay Flight SLX very confusing. The instructions are very general and leave you guessing: "IF you have a by-pass system installed and IF you have a RV Antifreeze inlet near your pump (which may be under a bed, dinette, sink or island, depending on the model) then you should be able to turn the values on this very generic diagram and suck in antifreeze through the pump..."
Not very helpful at all.
I had to turn the pump on to find it behind panels via the 'aural location' method and so far I've only found two valves at the back of the trailer. So is there another hidden by-pass valve, or does this trailer use the one valve by-pass system???
I'm confused!
red3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 03:35 PM   #2

I have a brand new Jay flight slx. Wondering if the setup had changed slightly?
Do I turn both of these values? One of them? Should there be a third by-pass valve?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B__...ew?usp=sharing
Old 10-12-2016, 06:47 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by red3 View Post
I have a brand new Jay flight slx. Wondering if the setup had changed slightly?
Do I turn both of these values? One of them? Should there be a third by-pass valve?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B__...ew?usp=sharing
I have never seen that type valve configuration. from the looks of it you can operate the valve tabs toward each other to bypass the water heater but I'm not sure. It's hard to tell without looking at the water heater.

Why not ask your dealer or Jayco?
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 07:00 PM   #4

red - what SLX do you have? Lots of Forum members can assist, but we need info. I concur with Norty about asking your dealer or Jayco, too
JEFF1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 07:04 PM   #5

Belay my last - I now see it in your profile, sorry. Recommend still, however, you give us info so we don't have to go to the profile.
JEFF1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 07:05 PM   #6
Site Team

2017 Jayco 267BHSW

Here tis!
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 10-12-2016, 07:33 PM   #7

In your pic is the WH to the left behind the brown wall? The two lines going thru the floor look to be low point drains. The white valve appears to be where the "magic" happens. The black valve below prolly controls cold flow to the WH, looks to be allowing cold into the WH, a turn vertical blocks water going into the WH and allows water to go "up" (to the white valve). White valve, in its current position, is allowing water out of the WH and supplies the TT with hot water. I expect it has a position directing the water from below to the right and blocks flow to the left. Not a clue which position that is other than not the one it's in now.
If it has 4 positions then experimenting should show what each position does.
With the bottom valve in "bypass" and white valve in its bypass position you want water to flow from a faucet with the hot tap open. You won't want water going into the WH, check by draining the WH and leaving the plug out.

Make sure he WH is cool and the pressure is released before removing the plug! (Don't ask ��)

Keep in mind that I'm guessing what the lines and valves are doing. Let the forum know how this progresses.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 07:41 PM   #8

Black points up, white points down for bypass. They are using 2 3-way valve instead of 3 2-way valves.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 07:42 PM   #9

Red, hats very close to the setup of my old (non Jayco) tt. Turn the valve handles to point at each other, that bypasses the wh
Hoppy220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 08:28 PM   #10

Thanks very much for your responses. I'll take your advice and see if water comes from the hot water tank when the valves are turned.
(Interesting that the manual does not mention this as a possible by-pass configuration.)
Old 10-13-2016, 06:29 AM   #11
Site Team

This must be what they are going to. Sure seems confusing to change the old way to a new way without some directions.

https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?&id=OIP....9&rs=0&p=0&r=0

Here is the kit: CAMCO Water Heater Bypass Winterizing Kit | West Marine PLAs-_-329195&creative=11484886455&device=c&matchtype=e
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 10-13-2016, 11:07 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
This must be what they are going to. Sure seems confusing to change the old way to a new way without some directions.

https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?&id=OIP....9&rs=0&p=0&r=0

Here is the kit: CAMCO Water Heater Bypass Winterizing Kit | West Marine PLAs-_-329195&creative=11484886455&device=c&matchtype=e
Probably all about efficiency in manufacture. I expect the 3-way valves are slightly more expensive, but you cut out 2 T connectors , 1 2-way valve, and make 6 less connections and 3 less pipe cuts. I actually think it looks cleaner as well, but for those who like to use the bypass as a tempering valve, I doubt that would work anymore.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 02:54 PM   #13

BTW - It would be a really nice touch if the hex plug on the water heater was the same size as the nut on the stabilizers. It's about 1/8" larger... Now I have to find a socket set...

The design on that water heater must have been done in the dark ages...
Old 10-28-2016, 02:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
Black points up, white points down for bypass. They are using 2 3-way valve instead of 3 2-way valves.
Thanks for this info and for the entire thread actually. Our 2017 Jay Flight SLX 154BH has the same 2 valve set up and this is the only place online that I found this info. I didn't see the 2 valve set up mentioned at all in the manual.
waterfallrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 02:50 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by red3 View Post
BTW - It would be a really nice touch if the hex plug on the water heater was the same size as the nut on the stabilizers. It's about 1/8" larger... Now I have to find a socket set...

The design on that water heater must have been done in the dark ages...
It seems to be an industry standard that the drain plug on the water heater must be made to be as inaccessible as possible.

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 02:41 AM   #16

Send a message via AIM to jaycojay Send a message via MSN to jaycojay
Just winterized my brothers 2017 145RB on Thursday night. Much to my suprise when i got to the hotwater tank, there was no shutoff valve on the pipe connecting the in and out lines. I looked all over, maybe they had moved it or something ....nope. So, i just shut off the two valves, and opened the valve to the hose in the A/freeze container, hit the pump switch, and voila, it worked. So, after reading this post this a.m., i had to go out and see what my 195RB has, and it still has the old style valves on both in/out lines and a valve in between, but it is a 2016. I'll have to see what our new 2017 212QBW has when we get it home next weekend. Yep, upgrading a bit in size...after camping in 4 out of 8 days last week in rain, we realized the added space would be nice, although, we do like the 195RB very much.
jaycojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 05:28 AM   #17
Site Team

When removing the plug, try a lug wrench. If you have a 4 way, one of those will fit the drain plug if you can snake it in there.

Another tool that you may already have is a set of thin wall plumber sockets for working on household faucets. That's what I use to remove mine.
Gator roll-up bed cover