Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-08-2015, 07:32 PM   #1

California suggestions

Hi All,

We are about to embark on our maiden voyage and its a doosey! We're taking 9 weeks and going from Toronto south through Colorado, Utah, Nevada, California - and then heading back North: Oregon, Washington, BC, down to Montana, into Yellowstone and then through the Dakotas and Minnesota on our way home.

California so far looks like Malibu, LA (at a friends place), Santa Barbara, Big Sur - then we have 4 nights before we were planning to hit Yosemite for a week.

Where should we spend that time? Carmel-by-the-sea? Monterey? Santa Cruz? Somewhere else?

We have an almost 2 year old and a 5 month old sons with us - so no wild partying

Would love your advice.

Thanks all!
chent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 07:48 PM   #2

>Carmel-by-the-sea? Monterey? Santa Cruz?<

Those are all great area's. Might be hard to find an RV spot. If so, you could stay in Gilroy/Holister or San Jose area. From there you could see a lot of great spots with short jaunts, including Monterey/Carmel, San Francisco, Napa wine country, etc. What a wonderful trip your family has awaiting them! Have fun and post some pics.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 23MB Elite
Previous RV's, 1988 33-foot Barth Class A and 1994 Flagstaff Pop-Up
Desert RVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 08:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert RVers View Post
>Carmel-by-the-sea? Monterey? Santa Cruz?<

Those are all great area's. Might be hard to find an RV spot. If so, you could stay in Gilroy/Holister or San Jose area. From there you could see a lot of great spots with short jaunts, including Monterey/Carmel, San Francisco, Napa wine country, etc. What a wonderful trip your family has awaiting them! Have fun and post some pics.
Thanks! I'll look into all of them... the availability might make the decision for us We'll most certainly post pics
Old 05-08-2015, 10:07 PM   #4

Lots of state campground spots in CA need to be reserved 6 months in advance. Especially by beach and Yosemite.
Country_Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 10:50 AM   #5

IF you are staying in commercial parks in Calif .. take lots of money.. and add 30% for currency exchange.. In the larger centers you will also need reservations. They tend to be full in the summer..
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 11:13 AM   #6

Here's a novel idea ... why not take a slow leisurely drive from near Tahoe (Auburn) down the California 49er trail and learn about the gold rush (or flip the direction if starting from Yosemite) ~ I guarantee there are lots of kid-friendly things to do. I'm a 3rd-generation native who grew-up visiting these locales - and I STILL have new experiences or find hidden treasures every time I saunter down these roads.

Learn a bit of history starting with Coloma (Sutter's Mill), side-step to visit Old Town Sacramento (and the fantastic train museum and train rides; for the older - take the Segway tour), experience Columbia (pan for gold, take a stage coach ride), side-trip near Arnold to see Giant Redwoods, finish-up in Mariposa or Oakhurst that are the gateway to Yosemite's south entrance. Don't limit your camp site searching to just state parks - there are a TON of private parks along the way that all have unique character. Remember, it's the adventure that makes the memories!

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 12:20 PM   #7

Sugarloaf Ridge state park near Kenwood was one of our favorite spots. Smack in the middle of Wine country too.
E rated Michelin LTX M/S2s

"No matter where you go, there you are"
-Buckaroo Bansai
frieed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 04:46 PM   #8

Petaluma KOA is nice. Or in the Gold Country, The 49 campground in Plymouth is great for kids.
lodiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 04:49 PM   #9

Visit Hearst Castle and Monterey Bay Aquarium.

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 06:26 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chent View Post
California so far looks like Malibu, LA (at a friends place), Santa Barbara, Big Sur - then we have 4 nights before we were planning to hit Yosemite for a week. Where should we spend that time? Carmel-by-the-sea? Monterey? Santa Cruz? Somewhere else?
Part of the reason traveling in California can be a bit more costly is you have everything within very decent drives ... beaches, mountains and snow, wine and cheese, amusement and animal parks, Hollywood and the movie industry, history-making locales, etc.. It sounds like you already are seeing much of the coast but keep in mind those in the southern part of the state have the much warmer water (by 10-20 degree difference). Also take into consideration the roads you are driving and the rig you are towing ... some don't mix so well (as the DW, I refuse to tow over highway 17).

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 07:30 AM   #11

Well we just wander through all of that and now try and get off the freeways. Always found some place to stay and most we would go back to.

We just phoned for a reservation a day in advance, then went in whatever direction the CG was in. Of course this may be easier for retired folks.
SecretCoveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 07:35 AM   #12

Thanks Hattie. That was going to be my next question: what hwys to avoid. I'm less worried about the cost as we anticipated it in Cali. I just felt the pressure to book all of our stays because everyone cautions that things book up.
Old 05-10-2015, 07:36 AM   #13

That's really our style Its doing that with the wee ones that I worry about
Old 05-10-2015, 11:28 AM   #14

The I-680 between the US 101 in San Jose up to the I-580 in Pleasanton is rough, both directions. Loaded with potholes. Avoid the morning and evening commutes anywhere you can during weekdays.
lodiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 12:05 PM   #15

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/gr...a+camping.html

FYI, We have a California camping social group on the forum. These would be great posts to share over there if you feel so inclined so people have them for easy reference.
Country_Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 02:39 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattie View Post
Here's a novel idea ... why not take a slow leisurely drive from near Tahoe (Auburn) down the California 49er trail and learn about the gold rush (or flip the direction if starting from Yosemite) ~ I guarantee there are lots of kid-friendly things to do. I'm a 3rd-generation native who grew-up visiting these locales - and I STILL have new experiences or find hidden treasures every time I saunter down these roads.

Learn a bit of history starting with Coloma (Sutter's Mill), side-step to visit Old Town Sacramento (and the fantastic train museum and train rides; for the older - take the Segway tour), experience Columbia (pan for gold, take a stage coach ride), side-trip near Arnold to see Giant Redwoods, finish-up in Mariposa or Oakhurst that are the gateway to Yosemite's south entrance. Don't limit your camp site searching to just state parks - there are a TON of private parks along the way that all have unique character. Remember, it's the adventure that makes the memories!

This is a great side trip that Hattie has laid out for you. We, too, are native to CA. Started out in the Northern part but are now in the South half (mostly). Hattie's description brought tears to my eyes. There is so much to do and see in the gold country.

Your trip sounds great. Have fun and be sure to revisit that route when the kids are older. Safe travel!
Dual 6V Deep Cycle Interstate Batteries
giddyup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 04:49 AM   #17

Thanks lodiguy! We just took our first local test trip and I wondered about that. Its pretty easy driving in Ontario. I was thinking I might post our whole route for tips just like that.