Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-29-2013, 08:49 PM   #1

Camp chef stove

Can I use my camp chef on the propane quick connect at rear of TT used for the RVQ? Would I need to get an adapter for the threaded part on the stove to a quick connect? And should I use the regulator that is supplied with the stove or would it step down the pressure to much since the propane bottles already have a regulator? Hope I splained myself good enough. Thanks in advance for your help.
Camp david is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:56 PM   #2

Camp chef stove

You would need a setup that removes the regulator since you already have one. Having two regulators won't work....if you are not comfortable working with gas lines, most propane dealers can get you setup with what you need.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:04 PM   #3

Camp David, I just bought a camp chef last week hoping it would work with the quick connect. This is the one I bought:
http://www.rei.com/product/824171/ca...ner-camp-stove

It does not have a regulator built in so I thought no problems... wrong... the flame is significantly lower connected to the quick connect than with the 1lb bottles. I have decided I am giving up on trying to connect to that quick connect. Since I have 2 appliances (weber Q 200 and camp chef stove) I am going to carry an extra 20lb propane bottle in the back of my truck in a milk crate with a T attached to connect both at the same time. I was going to mess around with removing the regulator off my grill but this past weekend I was camping with a friend who had the same grill connected to his TT with the regulator removed and my grill was more powerful than his. That confirmed to me that it just not worth it.

2013 White Hawk 28 DSBH
2011 Jay Feather X23J (traded-in)
2011 Ford F-150 XLT w/towing package
RoadMaster Active Suspension
Reese Trunnion Bar WDH w/Dual Cam sway control
jdorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:13 PM   #4

Interesting information, Terry, I thought I could get the same hose that work with the rvq and just get a quick conn. adapter to screw on the camp chef, however, jdorant says the pressure is to low. I have heard the same thing. I was trying limit my weight on trips and may change back to a coleman propane stove again to cut down on how much crap i have to tote and haul. Thoughts?
Camp david is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:19 PM   #5

Camp chef stove

FYI... The stove I bought puts out 40,000 btu were as the Coleman only puts out 20,000 btu. The difference may be that the TT low pressure just can't handle that stove, although my Weber definitely works better that my friends weber with regulator removed. I've heard a lot of varying thoughts on this and I just don't believe anymore it can work properly. It may work and be OK for others, but to me they are not working to their full potential.

2013 White Hawk 28 DSBH
2011 Jay Feather X23J (traded-in)
2011 Ford F-150 XLT w/towing package
RoadMaster Active Suspension
Reese Trunnion Bar WDH w/Dual Cam sway control
jdorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:44 PM   #6

I put a brass tee between the regulator and tank and ran a 3/8 copper line to my quick connect fitting and put a plug on the old line. Now I can only use appliances that have a regulator. Has worked great for years.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:46 AM   #7

Camp Chef make a hose specifically to connect the stove to your RV quick connect.

When you buy the Camp Chef, it comes with a short hose that attaches to your propane tank (e.g. 20lb bottle). The included hose has a regulator. The accessory hose does not have a regulator.

The provided link is to Camp Chef for the hose made specifically by them for their stove with the quick connect.
http://www.campchef.com/stoves/add-o...tion-hose.html

I have the Camp Chef stove, I have not yet purchased the rv-connection hose, but I plan to soon. Our local sporting goods store carries all the accessories.

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:03 AM   #8

Call or write camp chef. when I asked what I needed to make one of their stoves work with the quick connect, they said a certain hose and one additional brass fitting.
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:37 AM   #9

I have the Camp Chef expedition 3x stove. I am running it from the quick connect on the back of my Jayfeather 228 and it works flawlessly! I have a hose similar to what Flyrotors link shows other than it is not a camp chef brand. I do know that if the stove, furnace or hot water tank is running the expedition is not as hot. There is not enough flow through the regulator to run the stove and another appliance at the same time. But with just the expedition on I can run all three burners and it gets hot! Ryan
Ry-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ry-guy View Post
I have the Camp Chef expedition 3x stove. I am running it from the quick connect on the back of my Jayfeather 228 and it works flawlessly! I have a hose similar to what Flyrotors link shows other than it is not a camp chef brand. I do know that if the stove, furnace or hot water tank is running the expedition is not as hot. There is not enough flow through the regulator to run the stove and another appliance at the same time. But with just the expedition on I can run all three burners and it gets hot! Ryan
Thats good to know. I plan on buying one soon, before my 12 day trip.
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:03 PM   #11

I just bought a Camp Chef Weekender (two 30k burners) last weekend. I visited several RV dealers until I found one that sold the quick connect hose then went to Ace Hardware and bought a brass fitting to attach it to the gas manifold on the stove. (After removing the original flare fitting from the manifold) It worked great with both burners going at the same time.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Daniel Barbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:21 PM   #12

Just be sure to use the yellow teflon tape on any fitting connections you fabricate.
usmc616 is offline   Reply With Quote