Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-16-2012, 03:03 PM   #1

Camping on Beach

How many of you take your trailers onto the beach for some camping? I was out in Shinne**** (Southampton, Long Island) last summer. I have a few more trips planned for this year.
cpa0912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:07 PM   #2

My parents went to Hither Hills in the beginning of the month and my brother is going to Smith Point tomorrow. In fact, the camper is sitting in my driveway right now and he's coming over to pick it up any minute now.

I'm in Port Jeff. While it's not exactly the beach, I'm going to Wildwood the weekend after Memorial Day and then going to Smith Point for July 4 and then again a week later. Beginning of August I'll be out in Hither Hills again. lol

I only wish you were able to camp on the actual beach at Smith Point like you used to be.

2012 Jayco X17Z SOLD!:Beerchug:
LongIslandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:59 PM   #3

I camp at Assateague Island National Seashore several times a year. It isn't on the beach, but you are just a sand dune away from the beach. I love it there.

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlhdoc View Post
I camp at Assateague Island National Seashore several times a year. It isn't on the beach, but you are just a sand dune away from the beach. I love it there.
I loved camping on the beach with my pop-up in Galveston, but I don't think I will try to pull this 9,000lb TT thru dry sand. We do stay at the state park which is also just a dune away. Love it.
Preston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:11 PM   #5

We have camped on the beach in Canada In Victoria BC,... beautiful
And once in Oregon where we froze.. no one told us how cold it is in Oregon on the beach in July..

Lady Wendolyn Jayflight 28BHS

For a tour of my glamorous, cool camper, and an "Ad a bifold door Mod: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventures.blogspot.ca

For these Mods: Master bedroom shelving in closets and countertop extension: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...es-camper.html

For this Mod: Adding a wall light switch to the master bedroom:
https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...ht-switch.html
Ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:50 PM   #6

We go to Assateague Island once a year as well. Usually park on the Bay side and have to fight with Mosquitoes. This year we will be staying on the ocean side and are looking forward to it. Mark from York, PA
smarkey29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:07 PM   #7

I'm from Port Jeff Station. I too go to Smith Point. Shinne**** is one of my favorite places. I either stay on top of the hill or bay side. I find it a bit rough to tough it along the beach side. I see too many people stuck. Cupsogue Beach is also on my reservation list for this year. I would love to go to Hither Hills. How long of a waiting list is there?
cpa0912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:28 PM   #8

our popup saw a lot of duty on the beach, and probably will see more.... i don't know if the hybrid will be making any sand trips, but it's not out of the question...

yeah, i have plans for retirement... i plan to turn my on-off switch to 'off'.....
squidmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpa0912 View Post
I'm from Port Jeff Station. I too go to Smith Point. Shinne**** is one of my favorite places. I either stay on top of the hill or bay side. I find it a bit rough to tough it along the beach side. I see too many people stuck. Cupsogue Beach is also on my reservation list for this year. I would love to go to Hither Hills. How long of a waiting list is there?
lol, You're from PJS too?! I'm over by Magnolia. My brother went out to Smith Point this weekend so I went out there Friday and Sunday. Here's a shot from the weekend.

Our parents used to take us tent camping in the mid 80's-early 90's. I'd say in the mid to late 90's my parents neighbors bought a large TT and took it out on the beach at Smith Point. They loved and and that was part of the impetus for the family to go in on a trailer last fall. For what it's worth, they did say they might be reopening the outer beach camping there later this season.

Since we only got the camper in the fall we are only just now getting back in the game. It got a few days use in the fall before winterizing it. We got it back last month and my brother and I took our Dad out to Wildwood for a weekend to get reacquainted with everything. Our parents then went to Hither Hills for a week for the beginning of May and my brother just got back from Smith Point today. I'll be going out to Wildwood the weekend after Memorial Day. That's pretty much all we know about LI camping right now. lol

As for Hither Hills, getting in is tough. They start accepting reservations through www.reserveamerica.com starting 9 months in advance. That means if you want to go on July 28 then you would have to start making reservations on October 28. I believe they only accept check ins on Friday, Saturday, Sunday in prime time. Be warned though that it sells out in SECONDS. We tried making reservations for the end of June and we did it exactly 9 months in advance. Sold out in seconds and that was with 3 or 4 family members trying as soon as it became available. It took us a month of trying until we were finally able to land a week in late July/ early August.

There's no waiting list. You kind of just have to be lucky since it sells out so quickly.

2012 Jayco X17Z SOLD!:Beerchug:
LongIslandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarkey29 View Post
We go to Assateague Island once a year as well. Usually park on the Bay side and have to fight with Mosquitoes. This year we will be staying on the ocean side and are looking forward to it. Mark from York, PA
Mark I am from PA also. I have only spent one night in the bay side campground. We got in late and had a reservation for the beach side drive in the next morning. It was pre-mosquito season so it was ok.

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:05 AM   #11

on the beach

We just got back from 5 days on the beach at Camp Pendleton, Ca. Been there a few times and plan on some more this summer. But boy is it a mess to clean up when you get home.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once
joe in calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:47 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe in calif View Post
We just got back from 5 days on the beach at Camp Pendleton, Ca. Been there a few times and plan on some more this summer. But boy is it a mess to clean up when you get home.

Do you have to be in the military to camp there? Is it on the base?
Thanks Ernie
Reese straight line dual cam
17k wd hitch
2005 GMC diesel
Crew cab long bed
:Flag:
bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 11:50 AM   #13

You have to be active or retired to camp there. We have a friend that is retires so we can go with them. It's right on Camp Pendleton, off the 5 fwy at Camp Pendleton exit

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once
joe in calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 11:53 AM   #14

Thanks it looks relaxing.
Reese straight line dual cam
17k wd hitch
2005 GMC diesel
Crew cab long bed
:Flag:
bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 09:50 PM   #15

Always loved the beaches on Camp Pendleton while I was stationed there.
usmc616 is offline   Reply With Quote