Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-14-2015, 06:49 PM   #1

Camping World - Need some advice please

I don't know if this is common for all Camping World locations but the two near me have a very bad reputation online. Most of the problems are related to the service department. There are very poor reviews.

We are supposed to take delivery of our 185RB Baja tomorrow. Today, I called to see if the agreed up on work had been completed and they said the trailer was ready. When I pressed them to see if they'd fixed specific things I found out that they haven't done them. They either couldn't find the problem when their technician looked or the parts are still on order. So basically they did nothing in the three weeks I've been waiting to take delivery.

Here's what needed to be fixed:

The side storage door wasn't closing properly and the inside track/trim was rippled - like wavy. When we looked under the bed, we could see daylight coming through the sides of the closed door. We were told that they were ordering a new one and replacing the whole thing. Apparently their technician looked at it and couldn't see what the problem was so he did nothing.

There are two small dents in the aluminum in the front. We were told they were fixing that too. Those parts are apparently still on order.

I'd requested that the camper be resealed since it's been on the dealer lot for almost a year. They didn't do that either.

So, I talked with the general manager today. He went and looked at the storage door and could see the problem. He called me back to say that they fixed the door without replacing it. He also told me they didn't reseal the whole trailer, rather they looked it over and resealed the 'voids' they found. I don't know what that means except that there were probably some spots not sealed so they just redid it in spots. I wonder now how long those spots were there in the time the trailer was sitting in the lot and how I'll know if there has been any water damage.

So, here's my concern. This dealer is obviously shoddy. I'm concerned about being taken care of after the sale. I had a helluva time negotiating this deal since they tried to spring an extra $2k on me at the end. Fortunately, I had an email from the salesperson telling me the total 'out the door' price. The manger wasn't happy about it but he finally honored the advertised price.

I don't know if that is all Camping World's but both of the ones near us have a really bad rep. I had a sale fail at the other one last month because they were dishonest - also changing the price after we'd agreed upon a deal.

Can I get warranty service at another dealer if I buy from Camping World? This trailer is a steal at $10,988 - but maybe too good to be true given the issues I'm already finding.

My other option is to buy a Keystone Springdale, but I've heard really bad things about their quality. The dealer has a good reputation though, even if he is an hour away.

I honestly don't know what to do - I never thought it would be this hard to buy an RV. I just want to get a decent deal and good service. I'm scared that I have to sacrifice one for the other.

Does anyone else have any experience with Camping World? And, would you stay away from a trailer that had been on the lot for a year?

Thanks for reading - I know this is long.
llilith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 06:56 PM   #2
Site Team

Not to scare you but personally there is no deal good enough for me to buy a rig there. Just my experience.

I would walk away from a deal I was not feeling good about. After the sale, it is your headache to get issues resolved.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 07:35 PM   #3

I got my prior coach at Camping World. I really hate Camping World. If my wife were online here she'd tell you I never say 'Camping World' without $&@!'!!/ in front of it!

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 07:59 PM   #4

llilith,

Before picking up the rig, call the nearest non Camping world Jayco dealer and ask them about warranty work, maybe Guaranty in Junction City. Tell them your story and see what they say.

I see they have your trailer on their lot and the price is higher but maybe they will bring it down a bit and you won't have to deal with those ass hats at that #@%&ing Camping World!

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 08:41 PM   #5

It's such a conundrum... solid trailer from a lame dealer or a potentially lame trailer from a great dealer. I really like the Keystone Springdale - but some of what I've read online concerns me. However, I've experienced Camping World first hand. What the heck is wrong with them anyway? So many people know they suck, you'd think they'd get it together.

Guaranty in Junction City is a good idea - it's pretty far from us though.
Old 08-15-2015, 04:19 AM   #6

I bought my trailer from camping world.Worst mistake ever,I hate that place with a passion.I deal with them now only because there are no other jayco dealers near by and jayco will not let me go to a none jayco dealer.

Once warranty is up I will never deal with camping world again.

Once I step into another trailer same goes for Jayco. Just because of camping world.
WrenZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 05:36 AM   #7

I have never bought from Camping World. Always able to get a better deal elsewhere. They are not great on warranty work, and always seem to be backed up. I do know I drove an extra hour to get my unit and when I needed warranty work, they gave me a date and took me right in. Always had my rig finished within a day of when they said. That being said, they are also swamped with doing warranty work the local camping world has messed up! That tells me a lot!

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 06:00 AM   #8

Man, I thought you were talking about one I dealt with in Louisiana before. Sounds like a similar story to ours, although it was a Camping World / Dealer combo outfit. First motorhome purchase there was not the worst, but left me leary. Another time, I did walk on a custom ordered fifth wheel. Had cash in hand and still walked. Just had to prove a point to them after they missed one of most important items on the list, and were 5 minutes late having it on the tarmac on promised date, promised time. Reminded them of previous purchase, and showed them the promise email they had sent. If I broke down in front of that place I'd get it towed elsewhere. Not saying all are like that, but I'd walk. Drove down the road and paid my cash to another dealer.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 06:38 AM   #9

"I've been down that road". DON'T buy it.........
michigancampermcsmrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 06:48 AM   #10

After the Camping World CEO used the company name to take political sides regarding the illegal immigration issue a couple of months ago, I will never set foot in one of their stores again.
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 08:18 AM   #11

Man, if CW could read this thread maybe they'd get their act together.

..or not.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 08:35 AM   #12

X2 on Camping World. I have dealt with one in Indianapolis (bought a Flagstaff Shamrock hybrid there) and one in Ocala, FL (had repair done on said Shamrock). Both were overpriced, understaffed, unpleasant places and I have never nor will ever do business with them again.
Otherwise they are great!

If I had anything better to do I would be doing it :)
snowbird47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 08:41 AM   #13

I guess I'm different than most in that the selling dealer means nothing to me. I just get the best price I can. I've had 9 RV's total and never taken one back to the dealer for anything. All of the major components are warranted by their respective manufacturers and anything else I just repair myself. It's a lot easier than lugging it back to a dealer and leaving it for a month.

Having said that, I can't stand CW. I did buy a Class C from one once but as soon as I left the lot I never saw them again. I buy the RV and not the dealer.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 09:10 AM   #14

We avoid CW at all costs unless absolutely necessary. I haven't been there yet where I haven't had to wait at checkout for them to peddle one of their CW/Good Sam memberships to the guy in front of me, even if there is only one cashier. I find them overpriced with an indifferent staff. It's like they couldn't care less if you shop there or not.
That said, I have never made an RV purchase from them, but if the attitude of the staff in the store is anything like the sales staff, I would pass.

2006 Chev Silverado Z-71 5.3L H.O. w/ Trailer Pkg

Tekonsha Primus IQ Controller
Roadwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 09:17 AM   #15

Check out some of the posts here

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Camping World Service and Installation
Old 08-15-2015, 09:37 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hohenwald48 View Post
Some scary experiences at Crapping World!

Murff

Old 08-15-2015, 02:20 PM   #17

Gosh it sounds like I made the right decision. Today when they called to find out when I was coming in (my appt to take delivery was at 10am and it was 10:40am) I answered the phone right inside another dealers office and told them that no, I would not be coming in because I have concerns about their integrity. The new dealer, Al's Trailers in Salem seems really straight forward and we pick up our new RV next Saturday. We went with the Keystone - here's hoping it's good to us. :-)
Old 08-15-2015, 02:24 PM   #18

I hope everything works out for you. Sometimes it's just worth a little more money up front. You don't always get what you pay for but you do have to pay for what you get.
Old 08-15-2015, 06:47 PM   #19

Good luck with the Keystone. Not to say you will have problems, but whenever I read Trailer Life's consumer advocate's column, it seems that there is always a problem with a Keystone product and the customer trying to get Keystone to take responsibility for a defect or warranty problem.

250 KEYSTONE RV complaints and reviews @ Pissed Consumer

Murff

Old 08-15-2015, 06:49 PM   #20

To be fair:

Read complaints and reviews containing 'Jayco' word group @ Pissed Consumer

Murff