Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-28-2015, 12:30 PM   #1

Can't Fill Fresh Water Tank to Save My Life

Since 6 AM this morning I have been attempting to de-winterize my new Jayco Jay Flight 23RB travel trailer and I can't get past step one...filling my fresh water tank 2/3 of the way full with fresh water.

I have hooked up my hose to a outdoor spigot. I have tried both higher pressue and low pressure. In either case water comes out the other end. I have tried just using the end of the hose and I have tried attaching a Camco RV Fresh-Water Tank Filler w/ Pressure-Sealed Valve. Under ANY circumstance water comes flowing back out the opening. I have tried putting it barely in, I have tried putting it in 1", and I have shoved it all of the way in. No luck.

I went under my sink and I played with the valves. There is a clear hose there with no fitting on the end. I assume this is to fill the hoses inside the camper with antifreeze in the winter. Based on my online search, manual search, and conversation with the dealer that hose should be in the "off" position (perpendicular to the existing hose) and the other valve with the white hose leading to the pump should be in the "on" position (in line with the hose). But just to be sure, I've tried it ALL ways.

Then I was told to turn on the pump. Antifreeze came out of the faucets, followed by air. In other words, the tank wasn't already full. I was then told to check the valves behind the water heater. I wasn't sure what good this would do, other than pump anti-freeze into my water heater, which I was told once NOT to do, but I did it any way. I turned on the water pump, could hear trickling, waited 6 minutes, and the pump did not turn off (indicating the water heater was full). So now I have a water head 1/2 full with anti-freeze I assume. Great.

I took out a 4' piece of hose and placed it inside the gravity spout on the outside of my trailer (NO, I'm not trying to fill up my tank through the city water connector...I have been asked this a dozen times this morning) to see if there were any obstructions. NO, the hose goes all of the way in without stopping.

I think tried putting my thumb over that little screen next to the fresh water tank spout wondering if there was some sort of air problem. Didn't work.

I'm at wits end. I'm really teed off. This shouldn't be this difficult. If I can't figure this out today I need to load everything up and drive 80 miles to my dealer. Any ideas?
Old 04-28-2015, 01:07 PM   #2

Not sure I follow you ,but if tank isn't taking anymore water that means it is full!
2005 F150 Platinum/Roush Package

WHERE EVER YOU GO....THERE YOU ARE
dennis b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 01:17 PM   #3

Where are you filling it? Hose connection?
iplumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 01:26 PM   #4

Sounds like your overflow tubes are clogged, look for one or two white plastic about 1/2 inch diameter tubes on the side of the fresh water tank, might be located on the other side of the drain plug, not familiar with your trailer, they serve as vent pipes as well, that is why you can't fill the tank up, hope it helps
Old 04-28-2015, 01:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis b View Post
Not sure I follow you ,but if tank isn't taking anymore water that means it is full!
But it's not. The water meter says it is empty. And I turned on the pump to fill the water heater and the pump should have turned out when full. It did not. And when turning on the faucets there should have been water coming out after the antifreeze did. It did not. And lastly, I opened the low point water valve on the bottom of the trailer and no water came out.
Old 04-28-2015, 02:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by iplumb View Post
Where are you filling it? Hose connection?
NO. This is now the 13th time I've been asked this. I am filling it in the fresh water/gravity intake. NOT the city water connection point.
Old 04-28-2015, 02:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chata View Post
Sounds like your overflow tubes are clogged, look for one or two white plastic about 1/2 inch diameter tubes on the side of the fresh water tank, might be located on the other side of the drain plug, not familiar with your trailer, they serve as vent pipes as well, that is why you can't fill the tank up, hope it helps.
Makes sense. But for me to decipher that on my own would be insane. I guess I just need to close camp and lug everything back to the dealer. Not at all happy about this turn of events.
Old 04-28-2015, 02:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Klassy View Post

I took out a 4' piece of hose and placed it inside the gravity spout on the outside of my trailer (NO, I'm not trying to fill up my tank through the city water connector...I have been asked this a dozen times this morning) to see if there were any obstructions. NO, the hose goes all of the way in without stopping.
Is your tank translucent? If you do the above again can you see the end of the hose in the tank? What happens when you turn on the water in this scenario? If water runs out immediately your tank is full already.
What does your gauge say?

Hope you figure it out.
Old 04-28-2015, 02:04 PM   #9

What happens if you open the fresh water tank drain valve? (this is different from the low point water valve on the bottom of the trailer that you opened)
Iota DLS-55, Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C, Trimetric TM-2025

WIBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 02:29 PM   #10

If there's no water in your tank already, then it must be an air problem.

Does your trailer have an enclosed underbelly? If not, the tanks are super duper easy to find and decipher. They are the only translucent (whitish) things under your trailer. Your waste tanks will be black.

Get under your trailer, and find the FW tank(s); they should be very close to where your FW gravity fill is. There will be a drain hose coming out the bottom of the tank with a ball valve on it; the valve could be mounted some place on the frame and should be easy to access from a standing position. This is different than your Low Point drains, but could be labeled "Low Point Drain". Open that valve. If water comes out, there's water in your FW tank. If you can see from where the FW gravity fill fitting is on the side of the trailer, then examine it and make sure it is connected properly and not kinked.

Look toward the top of the tank, there should be a length of white pex tubing with nothing on the end, just a hose to nowhere; this is one of the tank breathers. Make sure it's not kinked or blocked in any way; you should be able to easily trace it with your hand.

There is one more breather and it's in the fitting at the gravity fill location and has a screen over it. You mentioned that you put your finger over it just to try. When you're running water in through the gravity fill, there should be some air escaping through this vent hole. If there's not, you have an air vent problem. Try just taking the whole fitting off. I think it has like 3 screws, but you'll need some pro-flex caulk to seal it back when you re-install it.

You still may end up taking it back to the dealership, but I hope this gets you started diagnosing the problem! Good luck!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 02:50 PM   #11

One last thing, if the tank is inside the trailer under a bed or couch or dinette, the fill hose may be higher than fill hole. Years ago, I had a Nomad trailer like this. To fill the sater tank, I cut the end fitting off of a1/2 inch garden hose so I could shove the length oh hose down the fill hose to fill the tank.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 03:08 PM   #12

Is there a shut off valve on the hose from the tank to the pump? Mine has one and I shut it when I winterize. If it isn't open then you wont get any water to the pump. Assuming there is at least some water in the tank.
klpoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 03:18 PM   #13

In conjunction with Camper Bob's suggestion, I would add that in the event your bottom is covered/sealed, look for two white tubes (about an inch apart from each other) extending downward underneath your trailer. See if those tubes are plugged (eg, dirt and/or insects).
Iota DLS-55, Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C, Trimetric TM-2025

WIBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 03:26 PM   #14

I may be wrong but even if the vents were clogged I would think some water would be getting into the tank before the line starts belching and what not. The fill hose is loose around the garden hose so air can still somewhat makes its way back up and out the fill hose. Unless the hose is bent in a manner where it is creating a trap.
klpoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 04:08 PM   #15

Fresh Water Tank Filter

I had a similar issue in my Jayco Grewhawk 31FS last year. I had just bought the MH and it took the dealer two hours to figure out the issue. I have a filter under the sink that ALL water ran through and the two valves were closed. The purpose of the two valves is to stop the water so you can change the filter. Just a thought. Good Luck!
wmanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 04:19 PM   #16

http://www.jayco.com/files/downloads...light%20TT.pdf

section 8.3 of this manual. Not the way i thought it would be done but maybe its the way it needs to be. Says to have the pump running as you fill with the tap open if im reading corrrectly
Old 04-28-2015, 04:23 PM   #17

and maybe stating the obvious but make sure the pipework to the pump is open from the tank and the side to the city fill is closed.
Old 04-28-2015, 05:42 PM   #18

My first though is the supply tube is clogged. Take some stiff wire but with enough flexibility to turn corners and put it in the gravity fill all the way to your tank. Make sure that the hose, pipe, etc going into the tank isn't clogged. Could be dirt dobber or just trash. Some kid could have shoved something in it, etc,etc. (I have found matchbox cars in fire hydrants) Even if your vents are closed your garden hose isn't making an air tight connection. The tank will vent back through it and some water will make it into the tank. I'd make sure that pipe went freely into the tank. If it stops short then something is in there. I don't know if these things have strainers but if so then I'd say yours is clogged. If it has one find it with the wire and then remove it to inspect.
tugboat95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 09:45 PM   #19

I will investigate some of these suggestions tomorrow. Wish me luck. Otherwise I will move my camper to the dealer. I will post the answer once I know what it is.
Old 04-29-2015, 05:34 AM   #20

I don't remember if it was my current TT or my previous TT but the intake hose was routed poorly and too high before it went down to the tanks and I had this problem. If you can see behind the filler, check the hose to see if you could get it lower.
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote