So in preparation for this years camping trips, I tackled two more items on my wish list. The first was correcting the woefully inadequate means that Jayco used to secure the propane tank to the A-frame. You know, the two bolts through the foot ring?? How absurd. I ordered a proper tank support bracket from a local Forklift repair shop. It fit nicely within the frame rails. To mount it, I just bolted the plate to the existing rails which the tank sat in. I cut four 1" long spacers out of square tube to keep the rails from twisting.
No more monkeying around with the nuts and bolts when I need to remove the tank. Just release the latch and your done.
Next item is the standard upgrade to Dual 6V batteries. I had been putting off this expense, but we're planning on a week long stay at a site without power. I settled on a pair of Trojan T-105 Plus from my local battery store. He also supplied the end-to-end tub and the 1' long cable to connect the batteries. I was happy to have found everything just a mile from home and support a local store. The tub just
fit within the existing frame rails for the battery. I did have to relocate the propane regulator to the side as the hose which goes to the TT interfered with the lid. The only laborious part of this job was replacing one of the battery rails which was barely welded to the frame. It would have been good enough for one light Group 24, but those T-105s are 62 Lbs each. I couldn't see it lasting long down a bumpy road.
The problem: Angle iron cut too short, only lightly welded on the bottom.
The solution: Cut new angle iron and welded on both the horizontal and vertical.
The result. Sorry for the bad pics, I took it just as I was dropping the TT at the storage lot.