Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-25-2017, 05:40 PM   #1

Capped Roof Vent(s)

Looking for some input on which vent is which for the 3 capped roof vents... I am assuming the far left is black water (based on smell), however, the other two I'm not certain. I am preparing to install a Cyclone Holding Tank Vent to help with odor. Please see photo of the top of my trailer. Trailer is WhiteHawk 30DSQB. (in picture) shower skylight and bathroom fan.
Thank you in advance for your help!
Attached Thumbnails
WhiteHawk Roof.jpg  
WhiteHawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 09:00 PM   #2

Buy 2 more cyclones and put them on the other caps and there no problem anymore. One of the caps in the grey water tank, the 3rd one I don't know, could be the water tank.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 10:45 PM   #3

It is hard to say for certain. Looking at your floor plan, I would guess that the back one is a shower vent (grey) and the middle one looks to be closest to the toilet which would be black. In a residential system you have the vent close to the drain. So using that theory it would mean the back one as I said is the shower, middle toilet and front kitchen sink. However if they are venting the tank then I would look at where the drain pipes come out when dumping your tanks. Does it look like the black is to the rear or in front of the grey? If your's has an insulated belly like mine it may be hard to tell.

Another option is to have someone run the shower and stick your ear on the vent and may feel air movement. You should be able to hear the water louder on one vs the other. Same with flushing the toilet.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:09 AM   #4

Sennister,
Thank you kindly for your input, your reasoning and logic make perfect sense! I will definitely have someone flush the toilet and run the shower based on your recommendation. Unfortunately, the underbelly is completely enclosed (Arctic Package) and therefore, makes it impossible to see anything without removing.

Not sure adding a Cyclone to the other two vents would be advantageous? Grey water connections inside (sink, shower etc.) all have P-Traps. My concern is the odor from the toilet/black water tank inside. I previously installed the Maxxair 7000K Fan in the bathroom and that made a huge difference moving air in general. Great fan!
Old 04-26-2017, 09:27 AM   #5

Yeah the enclosed belly is nice but it makes it harder to see what is where. Our new camper is the same way and I don't know where the tanks are. Though I don't care about it enough to actually pull the insulation down to see.

I am just not 100% sure how they plumb the vents in an RV. My initial thought is along the lines of what you thought. The black being further back than grey. If you were boondocking and had to drive somewhere with full tanks, most likely the grey would be heavier than black so positioning it closer to the axles makes sense. However looking at your floor plan I am not sure that is the case. The toilet normally drops right into the black tank where the grey pipes have plumbing and like you said a trap. Because of that they would have to have a vent in a similar fashion to a home. Without a vent the trap can't work right. The front one is most likely the kitchen based on the location of the venting for the fridge. I don't know that they use a roof vent on the FW tank. You might get rain down it if the cap broke which might be bad. Besides the FW fill normally doesn't seal all that well so air can get in through that or the overflow which we know is wide open.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteHawker View Post
My concern is the odor from the toilet/black water tank inside. I previously installed the Maxxair 7000K Fan in the bathroom and that made a huge difference moving air in general. Great fan!
Just to check the obvious, but you're not running the Maxxfan in exhaust mode while you flush the toilet right? If so, you absolutely will pull air from the black tank into the bathroom even with a cyclone cap (though the cap may make the air in the tank less ripe).
John1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 09:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1928 View Post
Just to check the obvious, but you're not running the Maxxfan in exhaust mode while you flush the toilet right? If so, you absolutely will pull air from the black tank into the bathroom even with a cyclone cap (though the cap may make the air in the tank less ripe).
Hi John,
I learned that lesson quickly right after installing the Maxxair... Early on at some point I flushed the toilet with the fan set to exhaust and about fell over! lol