Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-18-2013, 01:57 AM   #11
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
A close friend with welding skills fabricated a similar frame to frame receiver but added 3 receivers; a traditional one in the center to fit bike racks or an off the shelf hitch mount cargo carrier, the others are on the sides and support an expanded steel cargo carrier he built that has two mounting points. Obviously he can't use both the cargo carrier and bike rack at the same time, but every trip doesn't require the same equipment so he changes what is used based on the trip.
I really like this idea, I think it gives more options for securely using the back of the trailer...

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 05:05 AM   #12
There are numerous bolt-on and weld-on trailer hitches here.. I also have a front hitch on my van where I carry my generator.

Clevelandjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 08:38 PM   #13
We put a bike rack on our 4 inch 2007 Jayco Eagle 322FKS bumper and hauled 2 bikes around with us for thousands of miles. Down to Florida, cross country etc... Never had a problem or any cracks. We left the spare tire on it. Like anything frequently check it while on the road.
Happy trails,
Bill B. (S.E. Michigan)
2014 Keystone Cougar High Country 321RES (was 2007 Eagle 322FKS)
2007 Dodge Megacab CTD
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 10:43 PM   #14
Have you checked out the Trailer Tray? It is about $275.
They also have an attachment for it called the bike bunk.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 04:23 AM   #15
Interesting idea. One thing I noticed is in all the pictures of the trailer tray there are no batteries installed on the a frame. We have 2 batteries installed on the Eagle and there isn't much room for anything else because we have the enclosed propane tanks.
Joe and Mary Anne
1 18 yr old DD
2014 Ram 2500 Diesel Laramie Mega Cab 4 X 4
2011 Jayco Jay Flight 26RLS-Sold
2014 Jayco Eagle 298 RLDS
maromeo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 12:08 PM   #16
Thanks everyone for the replies, I think what I will do is make a rack as suggested by several folks here that comes off both frame rails to two receiver hitches and custom build a rack that each end will attach to each receiver. There are tabs already welded to the frame I build from.

One of the challenges with the trailer is that it is heavy and the tongue weighs about 1200lbs so adding any weight to the front is really not an option however, by adding the rear rack it helps relieve a little weight off the front. Also one of the reasons we are in a TT is I have a dog box in my bed that takes up practically the whole bed.

I went to one place when we were looking and one guy just would not listen, he really wanted to sell me fifth wheel, I finally walked him outside an showed him my truck with this huge box in the bed.

DKRITTER is offline   Reply With Quote