Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-12-2016, 09:55 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
It's not just JAYCO, every manuf requires annual inspoections. The owner's manual says inspect and reseal as needed. That is where Eternabond solves all problems, they claim it's good for 15 years once applied.

Sorry for being unclear. I wasn't disputing it needed inspection. We did inspect, 2x per year. I was saying we didn't remember reading anything about having to reseal the entire roof yearly; which is what the dealer said. All we remembered was "reseal as needed" and to our eye, it wasn't needed yet but has some newer cracks (not holes) that would need it soon. That is why we want to review the manual to see if it says to reseal the entire roof yearly.
Old 08-12-2016, 11:25 AM   #22

Thumbs down Same thing on my x213

We had the same thing happen except we didn't catch it in time (sitting all winter in Seattle rain). So the exterior and interior are all buckled. Now i have to replace the whole front exterior of the trailer and the internal paneling. Warranty is done. The extended warranty doesn't cover it, insurance doesn't cover it. I also didn't think that I needed to reseal it every year, and taking a closer look... the original seal job is totally ****ty. Not what I would expect from Jayco at all. #notimpressed
rsimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 11:50 AM   #23

Well I am glad this thread is here as a reminder to all of us to inspect our roofs more. I am going to get on top of my X213 this weekend.

Is there anything in particular I should be looking for? Can I ever but sealant on top of sealant or do I really need to remove it all first? What is the best way to remove sealant?

And for you X213 owners out there - are you comfortable walking on your roof? Its a little bouncy but otherwise feels like you should be able to walk on it a few times a year with no issues, right?
Equal i zer 10k w/sway control
Wife, Kid, Entlebucher
EV4D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 11:58 AM   #24

Here's the pics

Hard to tell if it's leaking before some damage is done. In my case, i didn't catch it early. Definitely look for any bubbling / buckling of the interior or exterior (see pics) and get on it as soon as you think you may have a problem.

Also looking for advise on regular resealing tips
Old 08-12-2016, 12:02 PM   #25

pics

pics
Attached Thumbnails
20160410_113104_resized.jpg   20160410_113250_resized.jpg   20160410_113008_resized.jpg  
Old 08-12-2016, 12:12 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsimpson View Post
pics
What you are seeing in the second picture is pretty much standard in the industry as to how a front cap is joined and sealed from the factories. For EPDM (rubber) roofs, that caulking needs to be cleaned and inspected at least yearly. You can clean it with mineral spirits (try not to get too much on the roof membrane itself) then overlap any bad spots in the caulking with Dicor where needed (no need to remove the old caulking). A small pin-hole can create HUGE problems! On my fiver, I cleaned this area and applied a 6" piece of EternaBond the entire length of the seam, then sealed the edges of the tape with a small amount of Dicor just for good measure.
As for re-sealing the ENTIRE roof on a regular basis...I've never heard of that and I've had two 5ers with no leaks while performing routine maintenance. Gotta do it though cuz it'll get away from you before you know it.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 12:15 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
What you are seeing in the second picture is pretty much standard in the industry as to how a front cap is joined and sealed from the factories. For EPDM (rubber) roofs, that caulking needs to be cleaned and inspected at least yearly. You can clean it with mineral spirits (try not to get too much on the roof membrane itself) then overlap any bad spots in the caulking with Dicor where needed (no need to remove the old caulking). A small pin-hole can create HUGE problems! On my fiver, I cleaned this area and applied a 6" piece of EternaBond the entire length of the seam, then sealed the edges of the tape with a small amount of Dicor just for good measure.
As for re-sealing the ENTIRE roof on a regular basis...I've never heard of that and I've had two 5ers with no leaks while performing routine maintenance. Gotta do it though cuz it'll get away from you before you know it.
Got it so it sounds like at least most of the time the leak issue is at the front cap seal? I need to educate myself on this EternaBond stuff...
Equal i zer 10k w/sway control
Wife, Kid, Entlebucher
EV4D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 12:45 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by EV4D View Post
I need to educate myself on this EternaBond stuff...
+1

Time to invest in a roll of Eternabond and/or the supercoat F9951 stuff.
Rootus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 01:48 PM   #29

Another good thing to do is to either take your trailer in, or build, your own leak tester. This is basically a fan that pressurizes the inside of the trailer. You then go around all the seams with soapy water, if you see a bubble you've got a leak.
If you search on this forum (and other major RV forums) you will find examples of how to build one yourself. If you want to, a lot of RV places have commercial leak testers as well.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 01:55 PM   #30

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
If Eternabond does the job I wonder why the RV industry doesn't adjust to this.
I used Eternabond Tape myself and it does a nicer job. A tick layer of Dicor just creates a dam to pool water.

The same thing for the foam window seals (which are mostly poorly installed) many will leak in the first year, why not go to the automotive seals. I have many windows resealed for other RVers. Damage by water is very costly due the time consuming repairs.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 02:05 PM   #31
Site Team

I have a dandy blower from a unused yard blow up yard toy. a 4 inch sewer hose connector fits right on the outlet and a section of sewer can be run in a small window and sealed up enough to do a bubble test on the roof. I can post a picture if anyone is interested in seeing it.

Many dealers have equipment to do this also for a modest price.

The term sealing is what is commonly referred to as inspecting and re-caulking. It's just another confusing and mis-used term.

When I caulk, I use a small plastic putty knife and gently attempt to level and high spots. It's not necessary except for aesthetics. Clean all the crud you can get off and use a self leveling Dicor caulk liberally. It will flow into and around cracks. Inspect all seams thoroughly and look for holes or tears in the fabric.

Eternabond tape is a very good product and easy for a do it yourselfer. There are many videos and information available.

Do this regularly and your camper will last a long time without any moisture problems.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 03:21 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post
If Eternabond does the job I wonder why the RV industry doesn't adjust to this.
Time and $$$$
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 04:13 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Time and $$$$
Yea, and sometime they don't know how to apply it. On my Jayco, at the outside edge of the slide-out roof, they applied EternaBond and stretched it when applying. It buckled, so I had it replaced on warranty. The stuff should not be stretched...the directions are pretty specific.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 05:02 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I have a dandy blower from a unused yard blow up yard toy. a 4 inch sewer hose connector fits right on the outlet and a section of sewer can be run in a small window and sealed up enough to do a bubble test on the roof. I can post a picture if anyone is interested in seeing it.

Many dealers have equipment to do this also for a modest price.

The term sealing is what is commonly referred to as inspecting and re-caulking. It's just another confusing and mis-used term.

When I caulk, I use a small plastic putty knife and gently attempt to level and high spots. It's not necessary except for aesthetics. Clean all the crud you can get off and use a self leveling Dicor caulk liberally. It will flow into and around cracks. Inspect all seams thoroughly and look for holes or tears in the fabric.

Eternabond tape is a very good product and easy for a do it yourselfer. There are many videos and information available.

Do this regularly and your camper will last a long time without any moisture problems.
I would love to see a picture! Also do you use a manometer? If so what do you take the pressure to?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk