Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-29-2015, 08:49 AM   #11
Originally Posted by dewey02 View Post
I think what you are looking at would work fine in a trailer.
As mentioned, some folks like the oil-filled radiators since there is no exposed heating element, but those radiators are heavy buggers.

We have a trailer nearly identical to yours, but without the slide. We use the following: It can attach right to the wall and is the size of a flat panel TV. We have it mounted on our bedroom wall where the TV is supposed to mount. It can also stand on the floor on removable legs. It has no fan, makes no noise and keeps our bedroom warm. It doesn't heat the place up fast, but once it gets to the right temp, it can hold it there. We have only used it on the low (750 watt) setting. It also has a 1500 watt setting, but that makes the bedroom too warm for sleeping.

Most of the reviews on Amazon are good. There are some bad ones, where people said the unit failed within a year or it didn't feel like it was giving off heat. But it isn't designed to feel a blast of warm air, just to gradually heat a space. We've had ours for 3 years and no problems. We bought ours at an outlet store and paid $19. (They were so inexpensive so we bought 2).

I realized I never mentioned the product name: It is a Delonghi Micathermic heater. Amazon has them, but kinda pricey. http://www.amazon.com/DeLonghi-HMP15.../dp/B005MMN75G

dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 08:53 AM   #12
If cheaper without the remote, I'd forgo it. Turn on and set t-stat and you should be good to go. Remotes just get lost and are rarely needed except for the tv. I have remotes for the radio, fireplace, tvs, sat receiver, and a couple that I have forgotten what they're for.

Always use an electric and think the ceramics seem to be the best but you have to watch the power draw on a circuit and over all for the unit as you're probably limited to just 30amp service. You might want to rig up a second power input using the 20A plug on the CG post and using it to power a dedicated outlet installed inside your RV. That will leave the 30A service to power up the microwave, etc without blowing a breaker. Also allows you to run a 2nd electric heater if necessary. Also remember that only the onboard furnace provides heat to the holding tank area. Electric heat stays in the living space but if you are in below freezing temps for more than 24 hours you need to consider cycling the furnace stetting the tstate at a lower temp at nite and using the electric to kick it up if the furnace can't keep up.

Where I camp, CG power in included in the site fee so why burn your own propane when you can heat with the electricity you've already paid for?

Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 09:14 AM   #13
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
You should be fine. I've done that for years in my campers. My only suggestion is to consider a plug in oil-filled radiator. No hot element to worry about catching anything on fire.
x2. Run mine at 900 watts. Slow to warm, but then keeps an even heat in the room. If not too cold, I'll cut it back to 600. Both of mine are 600/900/1500.

'11 Eagle 320RLDS
'02 F350 PSD Dually 4WD
DW's Ride, '13 Expedition
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote