Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-29-2017, 02:45 AM   #1

Changing Flat Tire

How would you recommend I prepare for the possibility of having to change a flat tire. I have a 2015 Jayco Whitehawk with wide axels (2). I have looked on line at the Trailer Aid and the Andersen Rapid Jack 3620, but not sure they would work with the wide axle. I also saw comments about concerns using a bottle jack. Any assistance would be appreciated.
Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 04:19 AM   #2

The Trailer Aid won't work with the wide-stance axles, I tried. My solution was a bottle jack, raised high enough on blocks to lift from the frame. IIRC my jack is a 6 ton capacity
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 05:52 AM   #3

Personally i do not like the bottle jacks they are a little unstable for me.

I bought a light weight Aluminum floor jack. Put it under the spring mount on axle and it works great.

Also check the size of the lug nuts on wheels and the spare sometimes they are different sizes.

I bought a foldable four way from harbor freight that works well.

Just another option for you to consider.
Blue Ox Sway Pro
2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
TxTwoSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 08:00 AM   #4

Good question!! Short answer is I use the jack from my Silverado hd when I had to change a flat on mu 2014 W Hawk. Chock the wheels on the other side and I did not disconnect from the TV.

Now the rest of the story. Was just hitting an exit off of I-65 north of Mobile Al and the front left blew up. Stopped and found 100% tread gone leaving just the inter core. Crawled to end of exit and then about 250 yards into a small gas station with a side lot. Then stood around looking "old and confused" hoping the driver of the Big Rig would offer help. He did but no jack, they rely on a service if they have a problem. By then I had figured out how to extract the trucks jack [Good thing to do before you actually need it] and was assembling everything next to the TT when another gentleman came over and offered to help. Using my jack he finished the job and mounted the spare in about 15 minutes. His fee was for me to help someone else in need down the road. I thanked him and the 18 wheel driver who also helped and tipped them with a cold coke.

Moral of the story: Check out the jack in your tow vehicle to see if it will work. You might have to sit it on some wooden blocks to get it high enough under the axle. I placed the jack on the axle as close as possible to the springs. I also carry an X cross bar so I'm sure to have the right lug size. Practice all this in your driveway on a cool evening. Be sure to put your truck jack back where you got it and that all the pieces are accounted for.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 09:36 AM   #5

Changing Flat Tire

Thank you for your responses. Is it that by using the rapid jack that it won't lift it high enough because of independent suspension or won't lift the bad tire at all. What about making a ramp out of about a dozen Linux Levelers and trying to lift it about 6" or so.
Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 11:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelers View Post
Thank you for your responses. Is it that by using the rapid jack that it won't lift it high enough because of independent suspension or won't lift the bad tire at all. What about making a ramp out of about a dozen Linux Levelers and trying to lift it about 6" or so.
That's exactly what I've done in the past. It works better with the axles close together but like you, I have a WH with the wide axles. That's about the easiest way to change a flat. I just wouldn't let the axle hang for too long. Get the flat off and the spare on
Nukeneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 12:58 PM   #7

I have a new Whitehawk 27Dsrl coming in a couple of weeks. I have not pulled a trailer for years. Had motorhomes in the past.

I am wondering what you guys think of the wide track system? Supposed to improve stability of the trailer. You guys agree? What impact does it have on sharp turns?

Wa concerned about what to do about a flat too. I have a new GMC Sierra 1500 crew cab coming too. Will check out the jack on it first before I buy bottle Jack.

Steve
Bigdomino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 01:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdomino View Post
I have a new Whitehawk 27Dsrl coming in a couple of weeks. I have not pulled a trailer for years. Had motorhomes in the past.

I am wondering what you guys think of the wide track system? Supposed to improve stability of the trailer. You guys agree? What impact does it have on sharp turns?

Wa concerned about what to do about a flat too. I have a new GMC Sierra 1500 crew cab coming too. Will check out the jack on it first before I buy bottle Jack.

Steve
Love the wide stance axles and have never had even the slightest sway. Actually forgot to connect the anti sway bar one time and drove 75 miles before we stopped for a potty break. That's when I realized the error. The wide stance makes for some interesting looking tires when you make a tight turn in a parking lot and probably accounts for some tread wear as a result, but I figure you don't make enough tight turns to cause any significant wear.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 03:55 PM   #9

Another option that worked well for me. Use your leveling pads to get blown tire tire high enough off ground to remove. Loosen lug nuts first.
Paddleboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 04:13 PM   #10

The 6-ton bottle jack is my first choice on a stack of square blocks . Just chock the other wheels on both sides of the trailer and set the TV parking brake.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 04:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Love the wide stance axles and have never had even the slightest sway. ............The wide stance makes for some interesting looking tires when you make a tight turn in a parking lot and probably accounts for some tread wear as a result, but I figure you don't make enough tight turns to cause any significant wear.
X2. It seems to take the bumps very well without much bounce.
2nOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 05:16 PM   #12

Just prepping for our first ever outing with a 16xrb and making sure I can change a tire if need be. The frame is 17.5" off of the ground, but standard bottle jacks don't reach that. It sounds, from reading the thread, like it would be ok to put a wooden block under the jack. I've got plenty of 6x6 lumber that I cut for use with my stabilizer jacks in anticipation of uneven ground. If I were to do this, would it be safe to use a 6x6x6 piece to get the jack up high enough?
scarr44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 10:26 AM   #13

Where to jack up the trailer

Being a Jayco newbie I read the owner's manual which suggested jacking it up on a frame member close to the tire in question. Looking at the trailer, I can see the reinforced spots that they're mentioning. Members have written that they jack up from the axle. This is clearly easier since you don't have to block the jack up to reach the frame, but it is appropriate?
Old 05-20-2017, 11:08 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shroomer View Post
Being a Jayco newbie I read the owner's manual which suggested jacking it up on a frame member close to the tire in question. Looking at the trailer, I can see the reinforced spots that they're mentioning. Members have written that they jack up from the axle. This is clearly easier since you don't have to block the jack up to reach the frame, but it is appropriate?
Jack from the frame only. As others have mentioned, I carry a 6 ton bottle jack and use my stabilizer cribbing to raise the jack. I also use a small piece of wood between the jack head and the frame.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 11:09 AM   #15

I've had one flat. I ran the other not flat tire up on one of my anderson levelers to take a little pressure off. Loosened lug nuts. I keep a 3 ton floor jack in my truck and blocks to get it to the trailer height. I jacked it under the ubolts which attach the springs to the axles.
2016 Sunset Trail Super Lite ST250RB for sale
Next unit: Jayco Eagle 336fbok
FishAr is offline   Reply With Quote