Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-15-2015, 05:40 PM   #1

Chil N Stor

Just wondering if anyone that has the Chil N Stor option can provide any insight as to the fridge?

I have found that it is 1.7 cu ft, but not sure if it is basically a AC/DC cooler, or a true three-way fridge (ie. gas/AC/DC). Trying to figure out if it is worth it to order with the trailer, or get an aftermarket fridge.

Based on the pricing of after-market 3 way fridges at $600+ vs the 2 way (AC/DC) from WalMart at $200, I assume it is a 2 way since Jayco only wants $200 MSRP for it.

Looking for someone to confirm...thanks
TommyAjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 06:39 PM   #2

Pretty sure it is 110v only.
datadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 06:45 PM   #3

Ours Chill N Store on our 2015 23rb is 110 only and I would not pay anything extra for it. The outside weather was not hot and the drinks we put in there never got anything near cold. No temp adjustment that we could find. If I wanted an outside frig, I'd purchase my own. I think you could get one cheaper and one that would work better IMHO!
gloryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 07:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloryb View Post
Ours Chill N Store on our 2015 23rb is 110 only and I would not pay anything extra for it. The outside weather was not hot and the drinks we put in there never got anything near cold. No temp adjustment that we could find. If I wanted an outside frig, I'd purchase my own. I think you could get one cheaper and one that would work better IMHO!
I think someone on this site mentioned a temp setting dial(?) in a virtually inaccessible location, way at the rear, on one of the sides of the Chill N Store.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 07:19 AM   #5

My 28BHS does not have the chill n store option and I wouldn't go for it on a new purchase either. It greatly reduces the storage capacity, makes getting larger items in and out more difficult, and as others have stated it doesn't really work that well. Drinks go in a cooler with ice when we camp, and that way they are truly ice cold and portable as well. Overrated option, in my opinion.
SkyBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 07:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
I think someone on this site mentioned a temp setting dial(?) in a virtually inaccessible location, way at the rear, on one of the sides of the Chill N Store.
I think DH looked all over ours to find the temp adjustment knob but we'll look again. We didn't receive any paperwork on this so-called frig in our packet either. Will check with the dealer. In the meantime we'll continue with our cooler and ice. Has done well for us for years too!
Old 05-16-2015, 07:34 AM   #7

IMO you just identified the major issue with outdoor kitchens and the chil-n-store, it requires electrical hookup to be useful and can't stay on when towing.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 08:23 AM   #8

fridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloryb View Post
I think DH looked all over ours to find the temp adjustment knob but we'll look again. We didn't receive any paperwork on this so-called frig in our packet either. Will check with the dealer. In the meantime we'll continue with our cooler and ice. Has done well for us for years too!
The dial is on the right side of the back of the fridge. You need to reach in and you'll find a small cutout of the wood behind the fridge. You can also turn the fridge off that way too, to save power if you're running off of battery.
Old 05-16-2015, 08:26 AM   #9

Chil N Stor

We find the outdoor fridge handy especially if we are staying somewhere for a few nights or so. Keeps the TT door from being opened and closed for the kids to get drinks and snacks. Also a great beer fridge! If you chill it down before a trip and stock with cold ones, they tend to stay cold for when you arrive. Helps the whole setup process [emoji1]

Not having to deal with ice is also convenient. But I can see both sides here. It's really a preference.

Derek

2014 White Hawk 28DSBH
2012 F150 EcoBoost MaxTow (2022 F150 PowerBoost on order)
Reese 1200 WDH / Dual Cam Sway Control
dmward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 08:40 AM   #10

Don't spend the money. Many of us have removed ours. If you decide you want an outdoor fridge, you can find a better one much cheaper. It is 110 only, takes up space, makes heat, setting dial is on back. Crazy to access when it is bolted down. Freezer is so small it is useless.
my toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 08:53 AM   #11

Our freezer is a joke. In 3 days it never froze ice in the little "ice cube tray" that came with it!
Old 05-18-2015, 09:03 AM   #12

I love mine.. Adjusted the temp to the coldest setting, plug trailer in 2 days before trip to get the fridges cold, load it up with some already cold beers and it's good to go for the trip( restocking as I drink). I like it cuz when my kids go to bed and the party is still happening around the fire, I don't need to go in and out of trailer to grab drinks from main fridge, and keeps my trailer area free and clear of random ground coolers. Still plenty of room in my 26 bh for storage even with the mini fridge installed..
I am sure you can barter with dealer to get it for free..
Skaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 09:52 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaling View Post
I love mine.. Adjusted the temp to the coldest setting, plug trailer in 2 days before trip to get the fridges cold, load it up with some already cold beers and it's good to go for the trip( restocking as I drink). I like it cuz when my kids go to bed and the party is still happening around the fire, I don't need to go in and out of trailer to grab drinks from main fridge, and keeps my trailer area free and clear of random ground coolers. Still plenty of room in my 26 bh for storage even with the mini fridge installed..
I am sure you can barter with dealer to get it for free..
Thanks for all of the great feedback...this is my exact reason for thinking about getting it - convenient and quick access to the cool drinks without having to go in after kids are asleep or when setting up.

Sounds like the Jayco fridge has some design flaws and I might be better off just getting an ice maker and keeping a cooler around until I find a better fridge that would fit in the space.
TommyAjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 10:32 AM   #14

I second the motion in the outdoor fridge. Temp adjustment as mentioned in on the top right rear. Crank it and it keeps my drinkie treats nice and cold. No need to enter trailer every 15 minutes to grab another cold one and let a bunch of bugs in to boot. If I didn't have one, I'd add one.

Mike & Theresa, Madison, WI
2012 Jayco White Hawk 26SRK
2012 Ford F-150 EcoBoost FX4
Fatfenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 10:55 AM   #15

I am firmly in the cooler and ice camp.

I have never have to enter the trailer for a beer or another drink. They are always kept ice cold in a cooler outside the trailer. Plus we always have enough drinks on hand to supply 1/2 the campground :-). I couldn't see being able to hold more that 20 or 30 cans the the Chil-N-Stor -- we typically have considerably more than that with us after you add up beer, soda, waters, juice boxes, etc. If they weren't all kept in the cooler then I would have to find storage for the extras and hope I dídn't forget to re-stock the fridge.

Those of you who use the Chil-N-Stor, where do you store fresh ice for non-canned drinks? I would have to have a cooler regardless -- I'm a scotch on the rocks or Jack N Coke guy too :-)
Old 05-18-2015, 12:59 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
Those of you who use the Chil-N-Stor, where do you store fresh ice for non-canned drinks? I would have to have a cooler regardless -- I'm a scotch on the rocks or Jack N Coke guy too :-)
It would seem obvious you're camping with more than one other person. I should qualify my statement in that its usually just my wife and I in our trailer. On the occasions when I'm not enjoying fermented beverages out of the mini-fridge, we keep a bag of ice in the freezer inside and then, yes, we must go in for a refill. I have a big insulated mug just to minimize refills...

I like the mini-fridge so I don't NEED to take a cooler. When my adult children join us, then yes, we NEED two additional coolers because we get thirsty.

Mike & Theresa, Madison, WI
2012 Jayco White Hawk 26SRK
2012 Ford F-150 EcoBoost FX4
Fatfenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 02:45 PM   #17

We love our outdoor fridge. When we bought our new to us Whitehawk, the previous owners pulled out the fridge so I replaced it with a small fridge only. I also added a switched 12 volt fan behind the fridge in case temps get warm behind the fridge.
We've only had 1 trip with the camper, but it's been awesome to be able to get drinks and not have to go inside and wake up the little ones.
I do have to go inside to get ice if I want something other than a beer.
vtdanokim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 03:24 PM   #18

to answer your original question, the Chil N Stor fridge is 110v only. it's only running when you're plugged into shore power (or a generator).

in my limited experience, i've found mine to be less than convenient. loading drinks into it before leaving the house is pointless, since it doesn't run when you're traveling. loading drinks into it when you get where you're going is pointless, since it takes a full day for the little fridge to get them cold.

i've unplugged mine and switched to a cooler with ice. drinks are colder and it's more convenient. fill it with ice and forget it.

i'm seriously considering completely removing the chil n stor fridge and putting it in my office!
Old 05-18-2015, 03:38 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatfenders View Post
It would seem obvious you're camping with more than one other person. I should qualify my statement in that its usually just my wife and I in our trailer. On the occasions when I'm not enjoying fermented beverages out of the mini-fridge, we keep a bag of ice in the freezer inside and then, yes, we must go in for a refill. I have a big insulated mug just to minimize refills...

I like the mini-fridge so I don't NEED to take a cooler. When my adult children join us, then yes, we NEED two additional coolers because we get thirsty.
Good point, usefulness likely depends where you camp as well as how many in your group.

We are family of five, often another kid along for the trip and typically two other families with us. Our collective group routinely is fifteen or more staying at state parks with no electrical hook up.

A couple staying in an Elec or full hook up site might find a lot more value.
Old 05-18-2015, 03:43 PM   #20

There is a know in the back to control the temp. We use ours even time we are out to keep coffee creamer and water bottles and cans of pop for the kiddos. Works fine for us.