Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-07-2013, 06:32 PM   #1

Circuit breaker question

Hello! I have a 2009 32BHDS. I want to replace my circuit breakers. I took off the plastic front panel to the breaker panel and the screw inside. However, I cannot get the back plastic plate off?! Any suggestions? Manual says "contact your dealer" but I know I can do this myself...I just can't access the breakers to remove them! I can do this in my home so I should be able to do this on my travel trailer.
Jebbo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:37 PM   #2

Circuit breaker question

If yours is like mine, it's held in with tabs. Try pushing in the top or bottom edge.

2006 GMC Sierra 3500, CCLB
2005 JayFlight 25RKS
Meathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:49 PM   #3

Thanks, Meathead. I got the front cover off (which has tabs) but cannot remove the back plate that actually protects the electrical contacts. You have to remove this back housing to remove the breakers. That back plate is what I'm having trouble removing. Can't get the breakers out with this plate/housing in place.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:05 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Maybe you can email or call Jayco for a drawing that would show it.
service@jayco.com

or if you can find the manufacturers plate, you could call them.

Are you sure it a separate plate and the whole thing don't come out like a rack sound system? Just thinking out loud.

Best regards,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:05 PM   #5

Yes, the trim plate can move a little from side to side with the electrical components staying stationary. Tried to pull it out but I'm afraid I'm going to break it...
Old 07-08-2013, 06:02 AM   #6

Click image for larger version

Name:	Jayco Elec.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	8948
Here is a pic of my situation. I need to remove this black plastic backing plate so I can pivot the breakers to get them out.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:04 AM   #7

Next stupid question, why do you want to change the breakers,I sold them for 40 years and they don't wear out-- just asking. Larry
Old 07-08-2013, 07:08 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Looks like their might be 4 round holes approximately at each corner.
Is there a tab in there that you have to depress with a small screw driver?

Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:17 AM   #9

Larry:

I have frequent tripping when too many appliances are on. I realize, after reading lots of other posts in this forum, that power can vary from campground to campground and that sometimes I'll trip breakers at one site but not at another. A friend of mine (who knows more about electric than I do) told me that sometimes they get weak after tripping a few times and that it may be worth replacing them. I figure for a few bucks I'll go ahead and do it. No other reason than that...
Old 07-08-2013, 07:22 AM   #10

You may already know this....but these types of breakers typically do not lock/snap onto a bus (like a residential / commercial electric panel). If your breakers are like the breakers in my WFCO converter, I doubt you'll find them at most hardware stores.
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:33 AM   #11

May want to take it to a dealership. Just sayin.....

2011 Jayco Flight G2 23FB
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 HD
1500Weight Distribution System, Accupower Pilot Brake Control, Sway Control, Husky Elec Jack
Moving Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:33 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebbo69 View Post
Larry:

I have frequent tripping when too many appliances are on. I realize, after reading lots of other posts in this forum, that power can vary from campground to campground and that sometimes I'll trip breakers at one site but not at another. A friend of mine (who knows more about electric than I do) told me that sometimes they get weak after tripping a few times and that it may be worth replacing them. I figure for a few bucks I'll go ahead and do it. No other reason than that...
I've found that most RV manufacturers tend to put in a lot of outlets, but many of them are hooked up in a series configuration, ie outlet 2 receives its power from outlet 1. In most areas except the kitchen this usually isn't a problem. The easiest way to detect this is turn off all the breakers except main, and the circuit you are trying to map, take a lamp or other small 120v device, and see which outlets are live. If all your kitchen outlets are live, you know that you can't use the coffee pot and toaster at the same time, or the coffee pot may have to be plugged in by the dinette to prevent tripping.