Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-21-2017, 02:53 PM   #1

Cleaner

I recently purchased a 2015 264bhs. Travel trailer that has some staining on the sides from sitting under greens and some mildew on the awning. I've tried green cleaners trying to not be harsh but even with a brush it's not completely clean. What's the best thing to use on the siding and awning to remove the stains

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Polecat28328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 03:03 PM   #2

Congratulations on your Jay Flight and welcome to the forum.

EDIT: Here's what I used earlier this month.
Awning Wash: 1gal water, 1oz bleach, 1oz car wash: Open, rinse awing to remove loose dirt, spray on cleaning solution, roll up awning, wait 15min, unroll, brush stains if needed, rinse thoroughly.

It worked well, but brushing of the stains/mildew was necessary.

Not everyone here uses the same cleaner or methods. Use the search function and you'll find A LOT!

Are your trailer sides fiberglass or aluminum?
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 03:52 PM   #3

They make specific cleaners for black streaks. Google RV Black Streak Cleaner and you will find a whole host of options. I used to worry about things like that... I got over it pretty quickly. Even parking underneath a carport, I get black streaks just from rain while camping. It is what it is, I don't want to create more work on a relaxation toy...
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 04:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
Congratulations on your Jay Flight and welcome to the forum.

EDIT: Here's what I used earlier this month.
Awning Wash: 1gal water, 1oz bleach, 1oz car wash: Open, rinse awing to remove loose dirt, spray on cleaning solution, roll up awning, wait 15min, unroll, brush stains if needed, rinse thoroughly.

It worked well, but brushing of the stains/mildew was necessary.

Not everyone here uses the same cleaner or methods. Use the search function and you'll find A LOT!

Are your trailer sides fiberglass or aluminum?

Aluminum
Old 01-21-2017, 04:17 PM   #5

i was just trying to just get it spiffy since i just bought it. The stains were from the gutter being full of leaves and the rain running down
Old 01-21-2017, 04:35 PM   #6

I like to use a product called "Spray Power" by Crown. Lately I have been having a harder time finding it. I spray it on the exterior wall full strength, then wash the trailer as usual. The awning I use the same product, spray it on, roll ot up, and let it sit for at least 30 minutes. Then open and scrub with a carwash brush and rinse.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 06:27 PM   #7

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new to you Jayco! I just did a quick search on Amazon for RV black streak remover and came up with many. I have not had to use any yet so I can't comment on their effectiveness. Keep us posted on what works for you. Have fun with your RV and happy camping!
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 23MB Elite
Previous RV's, 1988 33-foot Barth Class A and 1994 Flagstaff Pop-Up
Desert RVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 07:38 PM   #8

I use Spray 9 household cleaner for my roof, awning and black steaks. It works great and is a non petroleum based product which what you need for your roof.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:30 PM   #9

I used to have an aluminium sided Sunline Trailer and the aluminum had a pattern to it. We parked it on a storage lot here in Atlanta and the spot I picked was right next to a 2 story storage building. I thought "I'll take this slot cause the building will help protect the rig from wind, etc." BAD decision. The rain would splash oily water off the roof when it rained. The trailer looked awful after just a month.

I tried every product in the book, including most recommended in these forums. I tried the commercial black streak removers, tar removers, green cleaners, Dawn, even tried using Goof Off in small patches. Nothing worked well - especially at getting stuff out of the indentations in the siding unless that product was also mixed with MASSIVE amounts of elbow grease.

At one point I hired a local independent RV repair shop to wash and wax it. He charged (or I should say tried to charge - I never paid him) $20 a foot or almost twice the normal rate to wash it. His employee must have gotten very frustrated - I'd swear he used a metal brush because he scratched the heck out of all the graphics and broke two plastic light covers. And the trailer didn't look a bit better - but he did put a coat of wax OVER the dirt.

It still looked awful when I sold it several years later. I'm sure the dealer who took it in on trade was sure he could clean it up - he probably hates me now :-).

The moral of this story . . . . . there's "stuff" you can get on a trailer that just don't come off. Especially from a porous aluminum skin. I'm X2 on the enjoy the trailer and stop worrying about what it looks like. Clean the roof occasionally because that extends life but don't worry about the walls.
JMHO

Needless to say - the first thing I did when I got my new Jayco home from the Dealer was to put 2 heavy coats of was on.
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 09:50 PM   #10

Bought ours in the spring of last year and have cleaned it thoroughly only once. It's due again. Like others I searched here and other places and found all sorts of ideas, opinions and differing results. Some folks claimed cleaner A worked great, others said it didn't work at all, etc. It seemed there wasn't one that all agreed worked. I tried several different cleaners I had around the house, none really worked at all for the black streaks. And yes, I even tried WD40. My neighbor brought over a bottle of some stuff called Purple Power. I mixed it 50/50 with water and it took my streaks right off with minimal effort. Why it worked and not others? No idea. Maybe not all streaks are made of the same gunk? I keep a spray bottle of it and clean a bit here and there as I see them to avoid the major all day Saturday workout best I can. Wish i had a better answer for you.
suzhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 07:54 AM   #11

Same as DJL1967- spray nine. Works great.
Phil2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 06:47 PM   #12

Congratulations on your new trailer! Everyone has their own methods for cleaning – here’s mine:

I use Thetford RV wash & wax for siding and awning. For stubborn stains on the siding the only thing that I have found to remove them completely is rubbing compound. A coat of Turtle afterwards will help keep black stains from coming back immediately (but they will return!). I recently purchased Lucas Speed Mist to try – I haven’t applied yet but I’ll let you know if it works well.

For the awning I use the RV wash and wax with a magic eraser – works like a charm. The key to keeping it somewhat clean is drying it out every time it rains – even when it is rolled in and we get rain I will roll it out and dry it before putting it back in.
EPH 461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 07:27 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPH 461 View Post
For the awning I use the RV wash and wax with a magic eraser – works like a charm.
I agree, the Magic Eraser does an excellent job on the awning but it's tedious, 1 1/2 hour job---till now. I was at Menards the other day and bought one of these. http://www.menards.com/main/commerci...50329177242954 I didn't even know these existed and CAN'T wait to try it out on the awning and it comes with an extra cleaning head. Now I can do both sides.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 09:41 AM   #14

I don't chime in much but read a lot. Thought I would throw in a find for cleaning lots of things, especially black streaks on my fiberglass Jayco. I'm sure it will work on aliminum also but I would test on a small area first. The product is available at most "Dollar" stores. It's called LA 's Awesome Cleaner. Comes in spray bottle about 20oz for a buck, 32 oz refill for another buck. Larger sizes available but not as cheap per oz. The stuff is awesome as in the name. Works much better than the high dollar black streak removers available for RVs. Works on many other things too. I do a lot of pit smoking for banquets and such. It will remove the baked on smoke stains from roasting pans and sheet pans like magic. Works on open fire pots with soot on them. You still have to scrub a little but not excessively. On your RV I would not doo large areas that dry before you get to them with soft brush or cloth. You can add to bucket and use as wash solution and rinse before it dries. Find it at Dollar General, Dollartree etc. Magic stuff and cheap!
Pdqtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 10:03 AM   #15

X2 what PDQtom said. Here is a link, best stuff ever for cleaning anything on an RV. https://www.dollartree.com/20-oz-Tot...8056/index.pro
oh355mbqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 03:25 PM   #16

LA's Totally Awesome cleaner is awesome. Be careful and follow the correct dilution rates.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 09:48 AM   #17

I use 'reliable' spray cleaner. I was introduced to it at an RV show last winter. It does a great job all around. It removed black streaks from my aluminum siding with little effort.

Cleaning Products for Automotives, RVs and More - Reliable Products
Old 01-25-2017, 01:42 PM   #18

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. Being that there is a DG in every 20 miles radius in NC. I will try the LA Awesome and give a review in the next few days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-25-2017, 02:24 PM   #19

Does the Totally Awesome remove the wax too?

If so, would a good wash with a good wash/wax for cars put enough wax back on?

I have streaks, and I've tried a few different things, but I've avoided the Totally Awesome because, honestly I'm a little afraid of it. I'm not talking about severely bad streaks, just kind of "in the background" and they make the whole trailer look just a little more dingy even after I've just washed it. Washing it with a good automotive wash/wax makes it look nice BTW, but it does nothing for the streaks.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 01:53 PM   #20

LA's Totally Awesome works the best on the black streaks. Dollar store sells it. I've turned a bunch of fellow campers on to it and they swear by it. jm2c
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote