Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-01-2011, 06:56 PM   #1

Cleaning a Carefree Travel'r

I have a Carefree Travel'r power awning that has the non adjustable pitch. I did read a thread about tying ropes to the arms and to the othter side to let the fabric down. I came up with a configuration slightly different to let the fabric down some and I was able to remove some of the heavy dirt and some mildew spots. My issue is there a some small spots from where a wet leaf was trapped in the awning and I cannot get rid of all the mildew spots. I used the Camco awning cleaner and diluted it in a spray bottle and I had a deck brush on an extension pole also. The fabric is supposed to be mildew resistant but I was wondering what others use for this problem. Also, has anyone noticed thins spots in the fabric where you can start to see light through it? I have only had the trailer just over 2 years.

Phil
2009 Eagle Super Lite 298RLS
2010 Toyota Tundra Double Cab SR5
Fil564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 07:23 PM   #2

We haven't seen 'thin' spots and our tt is over two years old. I do see the spotting and even when we clean it with a bleach based cleaner, you can still see a faint imprint of where the stain was.

We keep our non-adjustable pitch awning out only when there is no wind and we are there to bring it in just in case the wind does come up. The awniings pitch is too high for us to try and tie it down (unless we drag a picnic table to each end which neither of us is willing to do).

Other member will add what they do to help with the stains. Good luck
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:22 PM   #3

Ours had a spot that looks like it is rotten, we are having the fabric replaced in 2 weeks

66 nights in 2016
61 nights in 2015
Derek700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:45 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fil564 View Post
I have a Carefree Travel'r power awning that has the non adjustable pitch. I did read a thread about tying ropes to the arms and to the othter side to let the fabric down. I came up with a configuration slightly different to let the fabric down some and I was able to remove some of the heavy dirt and some mildew spots. My issue is there a some small spots from where a wet leaf was trapped in the awning and I cannot get rid of all the mildew spots. I used the Camco awning cleaner and diluted it in a spray bottle and I had a deck brush on an extension pole also. The fabric is supposed to be mildew resistant but I was wondering what others use for this problem. Also, has anyone noticed thins spots in the fabric where you can start to see light through it? I have only had the trailer just over 2 years.
I have the same trailer and apparently the same type of awning as yours but mine is a 2010. Just a couple quick questions: (1) your photo shows that the awning is pitched down, how did you do that? Mine would just extend straight out horizontally high up there. (2) could you elaborate more about the "configuration" that your used to "let the fabric down some"? Thanks!
Old 11-08-2011, 07:05 PM   #5

That pitch is the way my awning came, that is why I never understood hw the water gets poole for it to release. I have seen a Jayfeather that theirs it pitched straight out but mine is not. I used these hangers I have that hang wire cable and work on pressure, it is called a Ductmate Clutcher. At the top of the rail against the side of the trailer are 2 small holes on either side of the track. I put a Clutcher on one end of a piece of cable fed it through the hole around the arm and out the other hole and put a Clutcher on the other side. There is not a whole lot of pressure from the awning arms so you could conceivably fedd small diameter rope through and tie it. Then I just rolled the awning down and cleaned the best I could. You just have to watch because when rolling it back up it wanted to bunch up sine it was not stretched.

Phil
2009 Eagle Super Lite 298RLS
2010 Toyota Tundra Double Cab SR5
Fil564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayco5488 View Post
I have the same trailer and apparently the same type of awning as yours but mine is a 2010. Just a couple quick questions: (1) your photo shows that the awning is pitched down, how did you do that? Mine would just extend straight out horizontally high up there. (2) could you elaborate more about the "configuration" that your used to "let the fabric down some"? Thanks!
If your awning doesn't adjust like Phil's, then you have the flat pitch. Don't try to MAKE it adjust manually with ropes/anchors (per Jayco). If you have at least a 2010 or newer, your flat pitch awning should have the "auto dump" feature if you leave it out when water drains/rains onto it. If not, supposedly Camping World provides for free, some contraption that allows it to dump water if out. If you have the flat pitch, you don't want to leave it out in even a slight breeze.
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote