Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-23-2012, 03:33 PM   #1

Cleaning and Waxing Trailer

I know this a little late to get opinions. Supposed to get a warm day tomorrow. I am planning on cleaning the roof with spic and span and doing 303 on the roof on my 2012 26 Jay Flight Swift.

What about the cleaning the sides and do you wax?

I have done plenty of big boats, no TT's. I don't plan on using a buffer do to the grooved side panels.

This is the first clean and I have to do it off site from my storage. I will have water access, wash brushs, ladders, ect.

Any tips.

Bob
bjohnst0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:38 PM   #2

Wash the sides after you do the roof. Then wax it. I prefer Adams brand of products, but any high quality car wash and wax will work.

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:16 PM   #3

I wash and wax our trailer at least 2 times a year, more if needed. I use Meguiars cleaner wax in a red can.Does a really good job. Just don't wax it in the sun. It normally takes me a couple of days to wax it. When I do it all I can think of is "wax on, wax off" [karate kid]
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:31 PM   #4

Thanks guys. Will try tomorrow, rain supposedly stops tonight. Will hook up in the AM and give it a shot.

Bob
Old 10-24-2012, 06:05 AM   #5

Wow that is a lot of surface area to wax ! Wouldn't it be easier to take it to a truck stop wash and wax ? I am just asking as I never attempted one of those places to save some time and pain. I hand washed my trailer twice last year but never waxed it. During the whole process I am thinking to myself there has got to be an easier way to do this, I.E. car/truck automatic wash.

TT - 2013 314BDS

Twin Cities, MN
jjhu00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:22 PM   #6

I washed and waxed mine over a 2 day period. Mine is stored at a campground, so I went down for a few days and did 1/2 one day and 1/2 the next. I used Protect All that I picked up at CW with a $10 off anything coupon. I bought and used the entire $10 bottle. I received many comments about how good it looked from other campers.
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:24 PM   #7

I washed the sides and the roof. Scrubbed roof with S&Span. Looked like new. Coated with 303 Protectant. Alsmost slide of the roof. Waxed the sides with Mequairs spray wax. Looks better than when I picked it up new from the dealer in April.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:46 PM   #8

Be carefull what detergents you on EPDM roofing! Do your homework, no petroleum or citrus based products. I use simple green and no other "protectorants" are advised. The EPDM does oxidize/chalk somewhat. I have found the NuFinish liquid to be easy on easy off and takes out the black streaks with minimal elbow grease applied
Jeff61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:14 PM   #9

When I wash our Jayflight I put a few drops of Sunlight dish detergent in a gallon water pail and fill... gets nice and bubbly and does a terrific job of washing--- actually looks waxed afterwards. Got that idea from a professional window washer years ago, who used Sunlight for window washing with a squeegie, and I have washed all our vehicles that way since (and exterior home windows). Lifetime supply is less than $5. Black streaks come off with no fuss. I just use a big sponge and the garden hose and hand wash it all. Takes but a couple hours.

Next year I definately will try waxing it afterwards though. So far I have only rinsed the roof with straight water; should get up there and scrub it too I suppose.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:36 PM   #10

I wash with Meguiars Deep Crystal on the sides and roof several times a year. Meguiars is very reasonably priced and available everywhere. I started using it because it was one of the few car wash products I found that the MSDS sheet indicated no Petrolium Distilates.

I then wax once maybe twice a year with Meguiars NXT2.0. It is easy on easy off and lasts quite a while. Since its liquid synthetic wax it is easy to get out of the grooves on the aluminum siding.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:00 PM   #11

Dawn dish washing liquid removes all dirt and grim from the sidewalls. After washing, I use Zaino Brothers AIO(all in one) cleaner, polish and protectant.

2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax LBZ, CC, 4X4
2005 Jayco Talon ZX24-E Toy Hauler(SOLD).
2017 Forest River Hyper Lite XLR
Prodigy P2 Brake Control
12K Husky Straight Line WD Hitch
chipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:16 PM   #12

I only hand wax the front of the trailer to help with bug removal. The rest of the side walls I use Armor All wash and wax. Does both steps at the same time and there is a good amount of carnuba wax with the soap. After that I use 303 on all four sides (typical need about 1/2 a gallon) for the uv protection.
Ry-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:14 PM   #13

Send a message via Yahoo to WestTXmed
Protect all (all in one). It deoxidizes, cleans, and wax. Maintain the shine and protect from UV with 303.

"Here fishy, fishy, fishy......" - Me

"Never take a laxative and an Ambien in the same night." - Dr. Dad

2009 Eagle Superlight 303RKS, Hensley Arrow, 4 sets of Bal stabilizers to make the wife happy, and 2 Yamaha EF2000is inverter generators. Towed by a 2013 Toyota Tundra 4x4 CrewMax 5.7L.
WestTXmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 05:03 AM   #14

Reviving this oldie to see if anybody does anything different in 2017. Any newer, easier, faster methods? I bought a soft bristle brush with extending arm to help with the washing part. I always wax my vehicles 2-3x per year but not sure how I feel about spending two days doing the TT. If I could get away with a good wash and wax soap like some of you suggested I might try that first and uv protect after. What do you guys use to dry it? Absorber, soft microfiber towels?
Studiovette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 07:32 AM   #15

Wow.. thread is old!
Since this thread began, I think the Jayco roofing material may have changed. On most of the newer rigs Jayco now uses Dicor Diflex II TPO roofing. Not sure what the standard was in 2013. As mention though, no petroleum based cleaning products on the roof. This is still true with the Diflex II roofing. Dicor recommends Spic & Span , 409 or similar. No special treatments are required for the Diflex II.
I use a quality car wash on the aluminum siding followed by Meguiars cleaning wax (liquid) in the red bottle. I treat all other exterior components (plastics,rubber,vinyl) with 303 Protectant. So far, so good, but my rig is only a year old! LOL!
Old 06-01-2017, 08:06 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jloco View Post
Wow.. thread is old!
Since this thread began, I think the Jayco roofing material may have changed. On most of the newer rigs Jayco now uses Dicor Diflex II TPO roofing. Not sure what the standard was in 2013. As mention though, no petroleum based cleaning products on the roof. This is still true with the Diflex II roofing. Dicor recommends Spic & Span , 409 or similar. No special treatments are required for the Diflex II.
I use a quality car wash on the aluminum siding followed by Meguiars cleaning wax (liquid) in the red bottle. I treat all other exterior components (plastics,rubber,vinyl) with 303 Protectant. So far, so good, but my rig is only a year old! LOL!

I typically use the same cleaner wax for my cars after I have used dawn to strip away any old sealers/ wax /grease etc but I find that it's hard to remove all the white residue. Has it been OK with the aluminum siding on your rig? I would think that it would be a bigger PITA to remove inbetween the slats? I might try two different waxes. 1 side will be a synthetic wax that leaves no residue and comes off super easy and then maybe a carnuba based wax just to see how each side does .
Studiovette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 08:15 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studiovette View Post
I typically use the same cleaner wax for my cars after I have used dawn to strip away any old sealers/ wax /grease etc but I find that it's hard to remove all the white residue. Has it been OK with the aluminum siding on your rig? I would think that it would be a bigger PITA to remove inbetween the slats? I might try two different waxes. 1 side will be a synthetic wax that leaves no residue and comes off super easy and then maybe a carnuba based wax just to see how each side does .
Yes, it is a PITA! LOL! The Meguiars liquid is pretty easy to work with though. I use microfiber cloths to apply and wipe off. They work pretty good.
It's a long tedious job. My 38FDDS is BIG! The box is 37' long! Overall length is 40'4"
It takes me all day to wax it.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:47 AM   #18

Hello All,

I will be needing to wax and protect the outside of our WH 27 DSRL.. its the TuffShell laminated side, rear & front walls ... recommendations of protecting the outside?
Old 06-01-2017, 03:35 PM   #19

Waxing RV

Hey folks, I'm 77 yrs young and a good wax job might out last me. I did see a post where a guy said he used a Hardwood Floor Spray Wax. Thought I might try that on the front of my J Flight G2. With the Aluminum Sides, the thought comes to mind that I have never seen a waxed beer can. Keep the sides washed and the black streaks removed, what are you protecting by waxing? Do, however, take care of the roof.
mohok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 07:18 PM   #20

Wax will help resist dirt/ grime at the least on painted aluminum. Help keep it cleaner. Protect from UV rays also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk