Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-14-2017, 11:30 AM   #1

Cleaning Your TT

I was wondering what other people use to clean their TT? The roof cleaners are very confussing? I have a new 2017 34RSBS JayFlight. I really don't want to use the wrong cleaner on the roof.
Attached Thumbnails
Camper.JPG  
MccBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 11:39 AM   #2

As far as I know you don't have that many safe options for the roof. I used spic n Span and blue Dawn on my new TT the other day and it came out significantly better but not perfect. I could still see some faint black caked on dirt so I didn't bother adding a protectant finish after like a uv 303. I might try it again with automotive simple green like someone to else had suggested. The key is to not use any harsh cleaners that could ruin the epdm material.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk
Studiovette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 11:41 AM   #3

Big difference from before but a major pain to scrub and than be prepared to clean entire trailer from the streak marks it leaves down below.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk
Old 07-14-2017, 11:45 AM   #4

Simple Green

Other people have said Simple Green works well but is it safe for the roof?
MccBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 04:34 PM   #5

Talking about cleaning - we're on the road now heading west. In Missouri now and there is a Blue Beacon Truck/RV wash facility near us. Has anyone ever had their TT washed at one of these places?? At $29 it seems like a good deal.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

2017 Jayco 28RLS
2018 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.2L Gas
Equalizer 12K WD Hitch

Greg&Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 06:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg&Nancy View Post
Talking about cleaning - we're on the road now heading west. In Missouri now and there is a Blue Beacon Truck/RV wash facility near us. Has anyone ever had their TT washed at one of these places?? At $29 it seems like a good deal.

I would be very interested to know as well. I have one about 25 miles away from me. They wash by hand so I would think it would be safe and OK on our Rigs.
Old 07-14-2017, 07:24 PM   #7

Haven't used BLUE BEACON, but have used other truck wash companies for both our 08 SENECA and the PINNACLE.
Old 07-14-2017, 07:41 PM   #8

Be careful using truck washes. There were a few posts a while back about them blasting high pressure water into and upwards at the refrigerator vent causing some damage.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 08:54 AM   #9

Simple Green should be safe for dang near anything. I believe you can even drink the stuff.
jholler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 08:56 AM   #10

We use Murphy's Oil Soap mixed with water and a bit of bleach. We spray the solution on with a garden sprayer, let it sit for a while, then rinse with the hose. Some areas still need scrubbing but most of the roof is acceptably clean. Neither of us wants to actually get onto the roof so our options are limited. The roof cleaners we tried didn't work as well as the oil soap alone.
MissLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 09:35 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
Be careful using truck washes. There were a few posts a while back about them blasting high pressure water into and upwards at the refrigerator vent causing some damage.
All you need to do is remind them not too, never had a problem.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:06 AM   #12

Am I the only one that only uses rain water? Mother nature is the only one that washes our trailer.
Old 07-18-2017, 01:36 AM   #13

The following quote is taken from the DiFlex II owners brochure supplied with the Jayco bag that includes all the info on the various components.

"The care and maintenance of your DiFlex II™ roof is simple and requires no special materials.

A. Semi-annual inspection of the roof is suggested. Check the membrane for possible damage and check the lap sealant used in all termination areas and around all accessories and fasteners. The lap sealant has a limited life span, depending on the geographic region and conditions, and should be repaired or replaced as needed.

B. Keep your roof clean. For normal cleaning, use Dicor Roof Cleaners (RP-RC320S) spray or RP-RC160C concentrate) or standard products such as 409, Fantastic or mild detergent are sufficient. Do not use harsh abrasives or products containing solvents. For stubborn stains, a rag dampened with mineral spirits is recommended. DO NOT SOAK. (Do not apply mineral spirits directly to roof).

C. When cleaning, rinse thoroughly with clean water to avoid residue build-up on the roof or sidewall of the vehicle.

D. Parking in areas where fruit or tree sap may stay on the roof for extended periods of time may result in unremovable stains."

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 05:58 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg&Nancy View Post

The pressure coming out the hose at the truck/RV wash tore off pieces of my decals on my other trailer. I will not take my trailer thru a truck wash anymore.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 09:01 AM   #15

I would be very careful using a truck wash. I am in the commercial power washing business. I can tell you I would not use the chemicals we use to wash trucks on my Trailer.
The 2 main "soaps" used in the truck washing industry are sodium hydroxide ( high ph) and hydrofloric acid (low ph). Sodium hydroxide is basically paint stripper. We actually use it in high concentrations to strip wood decks before refinishing. Hydrofloric which is also know as aluminum brightener, is also very harsh in high ratios.
Both of these chemicals will also etch glass if not used properly. If you use a truck wash I would inquire as to what injection ratios they are using. These chemicals are shipped highly concentrated and should be diluted to 100-200 parts water : 1 part chemical.
The final potential problem is pressure. Make sure the truck wash regulates pressure based on the surface being cleaned.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tomworsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 10:08 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomworsh View Post
I would be very careful using a truck wash. I am in the commercial power washing business. I can tell you I would not use the chemicals we use to wash trucks on my Trailer.
The 2 main "soaps" used in the truck washing industry are sodium hydroxide ( high ph) and hydrofloric acid (low ph). Sodium hydroxide is basically paint stripper. We actually use it in high concentrations to strip wood decks before refinishing. Hydrofloric which is also know as aluminum brightener, is also very harsh in high ratios.
Both of these chemicals will also etch glass if not used properly. If you use a truck wash I would inquire as to what injection ratios they are using. These chemicals are shipped highly concentrated and should be diluted to 100-200 parts water : 1 part chemical.
The final potential problem is pressure. Make sure the truck wash regulates pressure based on the surface being cleaned.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Great advice. Thanks!

2017 Jayco 28RLS
2018 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.2L Gas
Equalizer 12K WD Hitch

Greg&Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 10:37 PM   #17

I've used mcguiars stuff on the side walls and purple power dialuted on the roof on every one I've owned with very good results. Everybody's got their own recipe and results.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 04:46 AM   #18

This is what I use after 4 RV's and 20+ years.
I wash the roof with dawn and scrubbing brush on my hands and knees. I wash everything else with this and a truck washing long arm brush not a presser washer. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Turtle-Wa...&wl13=&veh=sem

I wax the entire rv with a Maguire's car wax. I also do the windows with the wax it keeps the windows water spot free.
On the tires I use tire shine. The wheels wheel cleaner. I do this process monthly.
2015 Silverado 2500
rodro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 06:01 AM   #19

I have a Camping World where I live. I just bought what they sell for cleaning roofs and followed the directions. Roof came out great.
Scott_Trailer_Newbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 08:53 AM   #20

Roof - warm water, a squirt of blue Dawn dish soap, and a hand brush.

Walls - warm water with Camco RV wash and wax from Walmart, telescoping soft bristled brush.

Awning - warm water, a squirt of blue Dawn dish soap, and a splash of bleach. Apply, roll up, wait 15min, unroll and rinse.

Windows - Windex