Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-14-2015, 06:47 PM   #1

"Cold" without Thermal Package?

Greetings. We are in the process of purchasing a the Jay flight 28BHBE for our family. We have located 3, 2015 units at a few different dealers near us here in MI, but none have the thermal package included. We also discussed ordering a new one to make sure to get that package, however it also adds more cost than just the thermal package as 2016 units are more expensive, especially with the dealers looking to move the 2015's and being willing to deal. We camp in the midwest, and only from May-Sept. Given all of that, I am really not sure the thermal package is worth the cost or extra wait time if we ordered.

So my real question is for those of you who own Jay Flights WITHOUT the thermal package. Do you have issues with cold or hot interiors when using your units in cold or hot outdoor temps...to a point that you feel like.."I just wish we had the thermal package?" I believe Jayco states R7 is the normal insulation value without the thermal package, so I'd sure assume the furnace and a/c could manage to maintain solid temps in the trailer during late spring, summer and early fall days.

Just looking for personal experiences from those without the thermal package.

Thanks!
luv2drum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 06:54 PM   #2

i don't thick the thermal package is worthwhile unless you camp later fall thru early spring. We have a 23MB and camped memorial weekend In the UP and was in The 20's. We didn't have any issues. Many people we know bring an electric heater in case, but mainly due to electricity is included in most camp fees. The LP is something you have to pay for. We are upgrading th the same camper as you. Have fun.
Pcschwenke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 07:01 PM   #3

Our '12 29QBH does NOT have any thermal package.

Over New Years we camped in overnight lows of 26*-28* degrees with no issue the furnace did a good job keeping it warm inside, we did stuff a couple towels between the queen mattress and side tables to prevent a cold draft coming from the pass thru storage. We had full hookups so we left the sink on a very slow drip to keep the hose from freezing.

Last summer we had many summer trips with daytime highs in the 90s and the single 13500 AC was fine. Very low humidity in CA, so that likely helped. I have loaded for trips in my front yard where it was 100*+ and the AC kept it comfortable. 100*+ was only for very short periods, we camp to get away from the high heat.

I wanted the thermal package too, couldn't find it so I went with out. It has not been an issue for us.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 07:08 PM   #4

We also had an ultra light travel trailer before our Eagle. We had it from 2007 to 2013. We camped when temps at night went down in the 20 's and we had no problems even without heated underbelly. It was a 28 foot trailer not built as well as Jaycos but was a good trailer and it kept my family very warm , cool,dry and comfortable. I don't think it is really needed unless your gonna do cold weather camping. Good luck with what you choose

2008 FORD F250 FX4 XLT DIESEL
2013 JAYCO EAGLE 314BDS(Ordered)
2023 JAYCO EAGLE 312BHOK
Donedroolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 07:08 PM   #5

If you dont feel you have to buy local try one of the online dealers. We had good luck with RVDirect.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 10:12 PM   #6

I wish I had it. Our a/c struggles.to keep us cool in the Texas summers even though it blows cold air.
BrentB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 10:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentB View Post
I wish I had it. Our a/c struggles.to keep us cool in the Texas summers even though it blows cold air.
First, welcome to the forum.

It would be helpful to provide some additinal information regarding your 'a/c struggles'. For example, the length and model of your trailer, the size of your a/c unit, etc.

We have not had many opportunities to use our trailer yet, but recently it struggled during a 95* day here in AZ, in the sun, with 13,500 btu a/c and the thermal package.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 06:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
First, welcome to the forum.

Thanks!

It would be helpful to provide some additinal information regarding your 'a/c struggles'. For example, the length and model of your trailer, the size of your a/c unit, etc.

It is a 34 foot 31RKS. I bought it used so I'm not sure which A/C it has. Is there some way to determine that? I have a lot of paperwork for the rig, but don't recall seeing anything for the A/C.

We have not had many opportunities to use our trailer yet, but recently it struggled during a 95* day here in AZ, in the sun, with 13,500 btu a/c and the thermal package.
Old 06-15-2015, 06:58 AM   #9

P.S. The furnace has no problem keeping us warm, but does produce a lot of moisture while doing so.