Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-20-2013, 11:03 AM   #1

Concerns about tires/axles on a Jayco 145RB

Hello all! Nice little forum here you all have! This is my first post - hopefully I got it in the right section.

We are thinking about getting a 2012 Jayco Swift 145Rb. I have read lots of complaints of the rear jacks dragging / low clearance
and under rated 13" tires. We spoke with our sales rep yesterday and he said they could do the axle flip or shackle lift our choice for
350-400$ I want to ask him today if they could upgrade our wheels and tires to 14"ers

We are in this money wise for about 12K out the door after doing all of this. Do you guys think that we will be to high up with the flip
and bigger tires? Is it worth it? My TV is a Toyota Tacoma 4x4 V6 4.0 The Dealership says no problem with my Tacoma but that's
the other ? for you all. No pun intended but It almost seems like we are rebuilding the wheel. Thanks alot for any info's
Old 04-20-2013, 11:53 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I am not familiar with your model, but when I looked it up, the SLX has 15" wheels?

2012 Jayco Jay Flight Swift SLX 145RB Specifications

hide Wheels & Tires:

Wheels Composition Steel
Number Of Axles 1
Rear Tire (Full Spec) 15 Inch Wheel

I have a 165 Sport and my sewer is very low.
Only 1 CG out of 4 so far am I able to drain without lifting the hose etc.

I wish I had a lift, but I also wouldn't want to catch anymore wind with my TV which is marginal.

If your TV handles the unit well, others have has good results with the axle flip or lifts.

best regards,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:08 PM   #3

Thanks Doug! We thought the very same thing when I looked up the specs. Then we called the dealer yesterday only to be disappointed that they have 13" wheels & tires. We are hoping the Tacoma will handle it good but this is a grey area for us. Again thanks for the reply! Rich
Old 04-20-2013, 12:26 PM   #4

"I wish I had a lift, but I also wouldn't want to catch anymore wind with my TV which is marginal."

interesting Doug, I did a Google search for your 08 4runner (to see your HP) and found we have the same engine - I also did a search your TT and I found a post that looks like yours about CAT scales. I was wondering how your vehicle towed the 165 sport, that would tell me quite a bit about what to expect from a slightly smaller rig and my Tacoma. The dealer has also suggested the same equalizer. Any further input would be greatly appreciated! Thank you, Rich
Old 04-20-2013, 04:48 PM   #5

We recently purchased a 2013 swift 154 BH and had the axel flipped. My husband is the more technical, but I like the flip becuase I can get to the sewer better to drain. We pull with a Jeep Liberty and my husband said he did not really notice any difference in towing. The only thing was we had to add an extra step to get in and out, but we are both pretty short. We also live down a dirt road and we were concerned about scrapping the bottom with the low clearance we originally had.
Pugpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:37 PM   #6

Thanks guys, That's great info,we heard the same thing about dumping , it's hard to get to
if the axle isn't flipped. Good to know you guys can pull it fine with the liberty!! I really can't
wait but I need to hear from some owners out there about a few things -Thank you! Rich
Old 05-01-2013, 07:57 PM   #7

First time posting, so hopefully I'm doing this right.

For what its worth, I also tow a 154BH, but with a 2006 Nissan Frontier which is very similar to the Tacoma. It pulls great most of the time, but a strong headwind and/or steep hill will slow me down. I almost immediately replaced the 13" wheels with 14" with Kuhmo brand tires and have been pleased with the change.

Serge
SergeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:03 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by keysbound View Post
"I wish I had a lift, but I also wouldn't want to catch anymore wind with my TV which is marginal."

interesting Doug, I did a Google search for your 08 4runner (to see your HP) and found we have the same engine - I also did a search your TT and I found a post that looks like yours about CAT scales. I was wondering how your vehicle towed the 165 sport, that would tell me quite a bit about what to expect from a slightly smaller rig and my Tacoma. The dealer has also suggested the same equalizer. Any further input would be greatly appreciated! Thank you, Rich
Rich,
My 4Runner seems to have sufficient power.
I've towed it out to California fine. I am about at 70% rating, so I felt good about that.
Steep hills I put it in 3rd and can run 55-60 at 3200 rpm's.

With the short wheel base, my biggest problem is wind and trucks.

Winds above 20mph make it a little dicey.

I'll be trading my Tacoma 4 cylinder at home in for a Tundra V8 before I pull a long haul again :-)

Best regards,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:22 PM   #9

Hi Serge,question for U. When U put 14inch tires on did U do an axle flip ? If not then I assume U had sufficient wheel well clearance. Appreciate a reply, thanks much.
Poconobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:36 PM   #10

Keysbound,

I have nothing constructive to add in response to your initial question, however I want throw this out for what it's worth.

A 2012 is essentially 2 model years old already, 2014's started coming off the line last month, and '12s hit dealer lots in Spring 2011. $12k for a new seems high to me, and if its used it way to high. A quick web search showed me (2) new 2013 154BH for under $11k and that's shipped all the way to California. I assume prices on 154BH and 145RB would be very similar.

Doing the dudiligence your doing is great. I think you are looking at a decent TT/TV combination, but IMO a little more work on the out the door price maybe in order considering its a 2012.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:27 AM   #11

We bought the 154BH new in January and did the axel flip because of height concerns. The additional height is wonderful to not worry about dragging. Our dealer installed and the cost was $51.44 for the Dexter Axle Flip Kit and $142.50 labor (1.5hrs).
At purchase we also upgraded to the Prodigy P2 brake controller and put on two Camco vent covers to allow driving with the vents open.
I may consider the 14" tires in the future.

Pictures:
https://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?albumid=295
houdini101 is offline   Reply With Quote